VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello
    I normally add permanent subs to an avi using ffdshows subtitling during the encoding to dvd with Sceneo Vcopy (always working perfect). Mostly this simple way also works with TMPGEnc 1.2a. But why do it only works with those two encoders?

I have tried Mainconcept, VSOToDivx, Quenc, BBmpeg (and so on) and they dont "see" the subs. My guess is that they dont use ffdshow for reading/decoding the avi. If so how can I force ffdshow to be "default" aviencoder (VfW or DS).

I have also started to learn to use Avisynth (interesting). Would it be any difference if I used scripting for adding subs and then QuEnc for encoding from the avs.
    Greetings
    Zappit

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zappit
    Would it be any difference if I used scripting for adding subs and then QuEnc for encoding from the avs.
    Yes. That's how to do it "for real". Not all encoders use DirectShow to read the AVI, and ffdshow is a DirectShow filter AFAIK.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank You,
    When You pointed out "DirectShow" I got the idea to write this very simple avisynthscript:

# Simple Test
    DirectShowSource("X:\#TV\RIKET\RiketII\Avsnitt1.av i")
    LanczosResize(720,576)
    FadeIO(30)

With this I get permanent subs and correct borders directly from settings in ffdshow and encoding with QuEnc. I guess that all filters in ffdshow also will work, probably other encoders who can read avs too.

I have spent hours reading/seeking on the net but not seen a hint about this simple solution. Perhaps there is some drawback not noticed yet.
    Greetins
    Zappit
    Quote Quote