VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

This is my first post.

I'm thinking of buying a player capable of playing XVID files. If I burn an AVI-file and a SRT-file with the same name as a DVD data disc, the dvd player should now show the subtitles as well ,right?

I've seen on the internet that some players do this. But I'm not sure if all do. Is SRT part of the XVID standard? If not how can i find out if the player I'm thinking of buying can show SRT subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Freddy79
    If I burn an AVI-file and a SRT-file with the same name as a DVD data disc, the dvd player should now show the subtitles as well ,right?
    Maybe, or you have to select the .srt (having any name at all) before selecting the XviD AVI.
    some players do this. But I'm not sure if all do.
    Many, but I'm sure not all.
    Is SRT part of the XVID standard?
    No. It's no standard at all (neither is XviD).
    how can i find out if the player I'm thinking of buying can show SRT subtitles?
    By reading the specifications, the manual, and reviews here and elsewhere on the web.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no XVID standard. XviD follows the MPEG-4 Part 2 standard. The MPEG-4 standard also covers subtitles, but that has nothing to do with srt's, avi's, etc. or most SAP's since most don't play mp4's and those that do would be Nero Digital Certified and Nero Digital uses VOBSubs as a private stream rather than ttext subs.

You could burn a disc and test.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Get a 5960 at circuit city. Its under $60 today. Shucks, a few days back it was under $40. It has USB & other stuff. Plays SRT & also .sub
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys!

Your answers made things clear for me. Although I hadn't see the acronym SAP(standaloneplayer) before. But that explanation I found with google. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Am thinking of doing this will this work on Playstation 2 the same way? if i name the srt the same name as the movie it sould load automatically it does with PowerDVD7
    Profoundly deaf.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A stock PS2 doesn't play AVI at all. If you have a chipped PS2, it depends on what app you use to play the AVI. SMS (Simple Media System) do both .srt and MicroDVD .sub, and use the "same name" method for matching AVI to subtitle.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. check out this guide, just tick the features you want and hit ok to narrow down your list (sub/idx is a feature you may want too along with PBS(packed bitstream))
    http://www.divx-compare.com/section-1-lecteur-dvd-divx.htm
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a Chipped Ps2 but is Messiah 2 Chip
    Profoundly deaf.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have Crystal, but that shouldn't make any difference. Try SMS. A little crude UI IMO, but functional.
    http://sms.ps2-scene.org

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    A little crude UI IMO, but functional.
    What u mean by above?
    Profoundly deaf.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it's a little "barren" and unintuitive user interface (at least earlier versions) even to my taste, but things have improved lately.
    I guess it's not all that easy to write easytouse code when a game controller is the only interaction with the outside world available.
    There's a good tutorial on how to create discs for SMS on the site linked to above. See the "CD Image" link on the SMS site.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dunno if i followed it correct all i did was use Version 1.7 (Rev 4) 'PAL' burned to CD now how do i get it to memory card
    Profoundly deaf.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To put it on a mem card, you need some file manager, like uLaunchElf. I find it most convenient is to put SMS on all discs (it's small! - 442 kB) that contain the files you want playable on the PS2, and rename SMS.ELF to BOOT.ELF (while keeping system.cnf as the instructions on the SMS CD Image "how-to" page). That way, when you put the disc in the PS2, SMS will boot, and be ready for action.
    A Pc or standalone DVD player will treat the CD as any other data CD.

/Mats
    Quote Quote