VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have a strange problem with the "Intel Application Accelerator" IDE drivers: After installing it I can't use Video CDs any more.

As you probably know, those are written in a special way, using the "error correcting code" areas of the blocks for data instead in the main movie file.

Normally windows can use the files on those disks without problems, but with IAA installed the file always, reproducable 100%, shows up as corrupted, in PowerDVD as well as in a plain hex viewer. Uninstalling the IAA makes the VideoCDs work again, however of course the speed goes own noticably.

There is also another problem: The IAA diagnostic utility can't be opened, it complains on opening that the driver is not installed - but the driver does show up in the System Control panel, and a Benchmark also shows the much higher transfer rates.

My config:

Asus P4B board (which has a Intel 845 chipset), Celeron 1700, IAA 2.3 (but 2.2 has the same problems), Windows 98SE (I reinstalled it to see if that helps, to no avail), 40x ARTEC ACD-406 CD-ROM (but I tried a SAMSUNG 24x SCR-2431 as well, with the same result).

The newest Chipset INF driver from Intel was installed first, of course.

I'd be really thankful for any hint since my video conversions are now all useless. This is rather strange and all the troubleshooting docs on the Intel site, as well as VCDHELP.COM, web, and usenet searches, weren't helpful in any way.

Have a nice day,
    --
    Linards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    honestly "Intel Application Accelerator" has killed several systems of mine and i will never install it again ...

others seem to have no problems ..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could the IAA cause tmpeg not to open up avis? Ive been having issues with tmpeg lately and the only way i can get tmpeg to read the avi is to frameserve them through virtual dub to tmpeg, i'm pretty sure that its not a codec problem too cause it the video that i captured with my video card!! (Huffyuv) Any speculation would be appreciated thanks
    ryan
    You win some, and you lose some, and some get rained out...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ryanreko
    Could the IAA cause tmpeg not to open up avis? Ive been having issues with tmpeg lately and the only way i can get tmpeg to read the avi is to frameserve them through virtual dub to tmpeg, i'm pretty sure that its not a codec problem too cause it the video that i captured with my video card!! (Huffyuv) Any speculation would be appreciated thanks
    ryan
    Have you tried this? (You can find out more at the left under Convert TMPGEnc)
    If you have problem open DV video, DC30+,MJPEG captured video or any AVI VFW
    Then try to change the settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the AVI VFW and increase the priority to 1 and try open the video.

tearex

I have the ASUS P4266, the 845D chipset and a 1.8A Pentium 4 and have run with W98SE and now Win 2K Pro SP3 with the Intel Application Accelerator installed and have never had problem 1. Have you done a clean install and installed the Intel Application Accelerator after you install the OS but before you install any applications? I would be suspicious of the driver problem. Have you talked to Asus tech support?

PS I played a VCD, authored and burned with Ulead DVD Movie Factory 1, with PowerDVD V4.0.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to re-enable DMA transfer mode after uninstalling IAA. After I switched to DMA, it is now just as fast, without IAA. Fine with me, I don't need drivers that don't improve anything and just cause trouble. So the problem is solved. Thanks to all who responded.
    --
    Linards
    Quote Quote