VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If I understand correctly:

1) -R is preferred for movies/video/etc.
    2) +R is preferred for data.
    3) This is because most DVD players are build for -R compatibility

Am I correct on all of these?

Lastly:

4) If I'm using the discs to hold data, there's nothing stopping me from using -R discs, right?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-R and DVD-RW
    DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
    DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 92% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 75% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
    DVD+R/W has some "better" features than DVD-R/W such as lossless linking and both CAV and CLV writing.
    DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 86% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 75% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.
    This is what the site says about ± compatibility.

Either format can be used to hold data only.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Both are good for video.

Some claim -R is slightly better, but both are so compatible at this point it hardly makes a difference.

Both disc are also perfect for Data.

I think that covers everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

And if I have some discs from OfficeMax's Black Friday sale ("Free after rebate" probably means very low quality discs, right?), how do I tell if the discs are good or not?

At this point in the game, I've been burning CD's for a few years with no thought whatsoever to what brand of media I've been using. The lower the price, the better. When I'm burning data, I use Nero and tell it to verify the data after burning. I've probably only had a few coasters over that time period.

With so much data on each DVD, though, I think I'll be more prone to buy name-brand discs.

Bottom line is, though, that if it makes it through the burning process, the disc is good to go, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dougmeister
    Thanks.

And if I have some discs from OfficeMax's Black Friday sale ("Free after rebate" probably means very low quality discs, right?), how do I tell if the discs are good or not?

At this point in the game, I've been burning CD's for a few years with no thought whatsoever to what brand of media I've been using. The lower the price, the better. When I'm burning data, I use Nero and tell it to verify the data after burning. I've probably only had a few coasters over that time period.

With so much data on each DVD, though, I think I'll be more prone to buy name-brand discs.

Bottom line is, though, that if it makes it through the burning process, the disc is good to go, right?
    It means the data is ON the disc but not that it can be read. So the answer is no.

However since your going for data instead you might be able to get away with cheaper disc. Even considering I suggest using decent disc, and personally I don't trust CD-Rs that are free after rebate little less DVDrs.

Go get you some Riteks or Ricohs and be happy instead of trying to save cents per disc and being disspointed later.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And there still is the DVD Media database at left.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice DVD Media database

SOOOOO:

If I ask you guys where the best place is to buy blanks, everyone will probably have their own personal preference, right?

(That's the feeling I get from browsing the forum here)

Can you all suggest a few good places for a DVD-newbie to start buying?

Would especially like to find a good price on a 10-pack of DVD±RW discs...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dougmeister
    If I understand correctly:

1) -R is preferred for movies/video/etc.
    2) +R is preferred for data.
    3) This is because most DVD players are build for -R compatibility

Am I correct on all of these?

Lastly:

4) If I'm using the discs to hold data, there's nothing stopping me from using -R discs, right?
    Pretty much.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!