VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wired magazine gets into the game: just convert your HD-DVD's to BR...

detailed guide at:
    http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Convert_Your_HD_DVDs_to_Blu-Ray

Convert Your HD DVDs to Blu-Ray
    From Wired How-To Wiki
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Image courtesy DVD Forum
    Image courtesy DVD Forum

HD DVD is dead. Long live HD DVD!

By converting your movies to a more enduring format, you can ensure your movie collection survives the death of the machine that plays them.

The process is simple in principle but excruciating in practice, thanks to the complexity of the technology, the myriad of applications needed and the predations of an industry that doesn't want you format-shifting at all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently I've heard that Blue Rays beat HDDVDS in the market and they're backing out all of a sudden. Is this true? Also, would this mean game consoles like XBOX360 or the Nintendo Wii would start integrating their products with Blue Ray players?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, HD-DVD is no more. Toshiba has abandoned it.

Microsoft has said that they have no plans to move to Blu-Ray. Since the HD-DVD player was optional for the XBOX 360, and all the games come on regular dvd's, I can't see any reason Microsoft would want to add in a Blu-Ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    and the wii never functioned as a standard dvd player, so doubtful they would jump on the HD wagon.

actually it's probably not possible for them as their hardware probably cannot support full hd playback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BluRay was not beating HDDVD as much as Sony was bribing studios with wads of cash. Millions of dollars.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    BluRay was not beating HDDVD as much as Sony was bribing studios with wads of cash. Millions of dollars.
    Not sure about this. I think the most important is that Sony promised the studios to make the BD piracy as difficult as possible by not allowing the BD players to play recordable media outside the BDAV structure (so a copy of BD movie on BD-R will not be allowed to play) and licensing the BD to companies that will strongly enforce the licence. (So no chineese $50 BD players that play everything recorded on anything)

And if you read the news, Toshiba actually got on the deal as well if they would drop HD DVD Sony promised them to be allowed to buy all Sony semiconuctor operations. And that already happened. The chip for PS3 will be now exclusively manufactured by Toshiba. Funny world, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony tried to promise but anyone knows they only LIE.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is this still the easiest method for converting HD to BD?
    Quote Quote