VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys... I will probably sound like a stupid question because i don't even know if such thing exists lol probably not but, I would like to know if there is some kind of software/Online feature that can scan an youtube video looking for QR Codes and Read the code automatically.

I know there are apps you can use on your phone that you point the camera to the screen and it shows u the code, but sometimes the app is useless because of the quality of the video/picture, so i am looking for something that can somehow scan the entire video looking for it.

I was studying about how to create QR Codes... so i just would like to know if i can do this as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None that I'm aware of, personally. Considering that YouTube re-encodes everything by default, video quality can always vary, as you've noticed, and there's no guarantee a QR code in a video will always be readable.

But there's also a security risk in having something automatically read a QR code in a video and jump to the embedded URL. Unless you're absolutely sure the video's creator isn't including any sort of malicious link, or link to potentially dangerous content, are you sure you want to risk it?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I think you could cobble something together from youtube-dl, AviSynth or FFmpeg, and ZBar.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    None that I'm aware of, personally. Considering that YouTube re-encodes everything by default, video quality can always vary, as you've noticed, and there's no guarantee a QR code in a video will always be readable.

But there's also a security risk in having something automatically read a QR code in a video and jump to the embedded URL. Unless you're absolutely sure the video's creator isn't including any sort of malicious link, or link to potentially dangerous content, are you sure you want to risk it?

Yeah i didn't even cosidered that. I just watch those videos with many views explaining about QR Codes and all. I was just curious if this feature existed, I am not looking for something that automatically jumps to the embedded URL, just something that shows u the text hidden without redirecting you to an URL, because you're right, it could be malicious.
    Quote Quote