VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. [2019-10-22 15:03:14] [ERROR] Error writing 32768 bytes to fd 4 (err=112): There is not enough space on the disk
    [2019-10-22 15:03:14] [ERROR] Error writing chunk data to WIM file: No space left on device
    This should be enough...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't follow the sense of your reply .... could you be more specific .....??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by akstirling View Post
    Can't follow the sense of your reply .... could you be more specific .....??
    how big is your HDD ?? and what is it formatted to, NTFS or FAT32 ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDD is 100GB(24GB available) formatted NTFS .....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Run my tool again and constantly monitor amount of free space on HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried running prog on Dualboot version W10 and it ran fine and completed the job ..... unfortunately not out of the woods yet .... getting BSOD at very end of install process using Rufus created USB .....???
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by akstirling View Post
    Tried running prog on Dualboot version W10 and it ran fine and completed the job ..... unfortunately not out of the woods yet .... getting BSOD at very end of install process using Rufus created USB .....???
    1st - try Remove Attached Keyboard or Mouse

2nd - go into your BIOS settings - advance settings and change ACHI to ATA option under SATA Operation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, well, things can take a funny turn right enough .... neither of the suggestions you offered worked, so, ran rufus with unmodified ISO, and after a little dickering about with drivers, and the fact my PC

has a scrolling system(a sort of joystick in the middle of the keyboard) which I can only guess works outside the USB system .... I got an install, admittedly minus the mouse, which a visit to the PC

manufacturers website put right ..... a bit of a slog, but the important thing is I got there in the end ......yahoo!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello, do you know if this tool works for Ryzen 5 3550H laptop ?. Cause I cant go further that the setup step, it freezes and in safe mode, the boot process is blocked when reaching ahcix64.sys file...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    No m.2 with MSI z390 MEG GODLIKE
    Last edited by mickpago; 1st Dec 2019 at 15:22.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by arcadiabay View Post
    Hello, do you know if this tool works for Ryzen 5 3550H laptop ?. Cause I cant go further that the setup step, it freezes and in safe mode, the boot process is blocked when reaching ahcix64.sys file...
    AMD blocks instalation of win7 on APU.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    USB3 driver can be found
    Look for the Windows 7 support file for 200 chipset mobo's on the Gigabyte downloadsite
    The USB drivers work with Asus z390 mobo, key mouse and memory sticks work fine
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    Originally Posted by slongmire View Post
    Thanks - I am aware that there is a patch, but I want to create the fully patched usb3 stick to install onto the brand new Kabylake pc. This is not the pc that I used to try to create the patched win 7. The new Kablake pc only has a blank ssd and memory in it right now - waiting for me to finish the patch install stick.

Sorry if I was not clear on that part.

I looked in the \Windows_7_Updater\Tools\x64\DISM directory and found FfuProvider.dll but there is no MetaDeployProvider.dll there. (These were the two files referenced in the warnings in the dism.log)

SUCCESS! The iso had both 32 and 64 bit versions in it - but after locating a 64bit only iso everything went perfectly. Thanks for this utility!
    You should pay more attention to first post

Important notes:

This tool won't work with custom images containing both x86 and x64 versions!
    I paid attention, read this thread up until here... I downloaded and used successfully the image you posted a link to on pirate bay. Your tool worked on that image.
    I just have no key to activate it.

I bought a key on ebay, but it is for a OEM Windows 7 Ultimate... and the iso they provided me with had x86 and x64 in it.
    I did not know until I ran your tool. How can I?

Is there a way to remove the x86 part?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows 7 Installed Product ID.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	51034  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Curious....have you made any updates to this cool tool?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  15. Tool will be updated in 2020-01-15 after last windows update.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by johnrw View Post
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    Originally Posted by slongmire View Post
    Thanks - I am aware that there is a patch, but I want to create the fully patched usb3 stick to install onto the brand new Kabylake pc. This is not the pc that I used to try to create the patched win 7. The new Kablake pc only has a blank ssd and memory in it right now - waiting for me to finish the patch install stick.

Sorry if I was not clear on that part.

I looked in the \Windows_7_Updater\Tools\x64\DISM directory and found FfuProvider.dll but there is no MetaDeployProvider.dll there. (These were the two files referenced in the warnings in the dism.log)

SUCCESS! The iso had both 32 and 64 bit versions in it - but after locating a 64bit only iso everything went perfectly. Thanks for this utility!
    You should pay more attention to first post

Important notes:

This tool won't work with custom images containing both x86 and x64 versions!
    I paid attention, read this thread up until here... I downloaded and used successfully the image you posted a link to on pirate bay. Your tool worked on that image.
    I just have no key to activate it.

I bought a key on ebay, but it is for a OEM Windows 7 Ultimate... and the iso they provided me with had x86 and x64 in it.
    I did not know until I ran your tool. How can I?

Is there a way to remove the x86 part?
    Ntlite or just use this
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-loader-download.58464/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another question...when you say samsung nvme drivers, does this mean all samsung? I have 970 evo plus.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  18. Update 2020.01.15
    -Added button for easy downloading recommended ISO
    -Added last update from 2020-01-14 to the list
    -Nagging screen about end of support is removed from scheduled tasks ( https://www.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/your-windows-7-pc-is-out-of-support.jpg )
    -Page file size limited to 8GiB. This prevents OS from automatically creating very large file equal to installed RAM.
    -Hibernation is disabled. Reason same as above.
    -Added drivers for x570 (Yes! Ryzen 3950x works!)
    -Added drivers Intel Bluetooth
    -Added drivers Texas Instruments USB
    -Updated drivers for Samsung NVMe
    -Updated drivers for AMD GPU
    -Updated drivers for NVidia GPU (telemetry removed)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Aludin View Post
    Question, what are the issues of installing Windows 7 on modern systems? I successfully ran Windows XP on a 2010 computer with no problems.
    You say you add drivers but if they're not compatible with Windows 7 then how does that work smoothly?
    Generally, old OSs can be installed and will work until driver support (either manufacturers or hacked) stop working. Then you lose functionality or the ability to run the os completely.

(E.g. Even today, people are hacking windows 2000 to be able to run modern web browsers and programs.)

That said, what most do with ancient systems is virtualization - run a program that creates a perfectly compatible PC within your new pc os.

Virtualbox, vmware workstation, hyper-v, etc. (VM = virtual machine) You can even run one in the cloud online.

You can run XP perfectly fine today on a new laptop in a VM (how I can still access an old scanner that doesn't have newer drivers for win10).

You can even run mac os on a pc (hackintosh) this way.
    Quote Quote  
  20. You can run XP perfectly fine today on a new laptop in a VM (how I can still access an old scanner that doesn't have newer drivers for win10).
    How does this work more precisely, does that mean that only the virtual machine recognizes the device, or is it somehow disabled from the host OS ?
    How does this work with storage devices ? Is it possible, for instance, to mount a physical storage device to a virtual system, copy or modify files on it, then mount it back on the host OS ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. You can give the VM direct (and exclusive) access to a USB port (I've never used a scanner on one but I've used other USB devices). It can also access a folder or network share on the host drive.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    You can run XP perfectly fine today on a new laptop in a VM (how I can still access an old scanner that doesn't have newer drivers for win10).
    How does this work more precisely, does that mean that only the virtual machine recognizes the device, or is it somehow disabled from the host OS ?
    How does this work with storage devices ? Is it possible, for instance, to mount a physical storage device to a virtual system, copy or modify files on it, then mount it back on the host OS ?
    New hardware/computers are more than fast and powerful enough to "emulate" or pretend to be older hardware.
    eg. a Nvidia 2080ti card has thousands of times more power to draw video than an original VGA card from decades ago.

The Virtual Machine (VM) has instructions for translating whatever it is asked in the emulation into new commands the new hardware understands.

This means a slow, old PS3 can be easily emulated by a fast, new PC, and whatever requires a XP-era PC can run on almost all of today's modern computers under emulation.

The VM also adapts hardware to work with older systems.
    For example, if XP only supports USB 1.0, and you have a USB 3.0 hard drive plugged in, it'll translate between the actual PC and VM so that XP can use and access the hard drive.

hard drives, gps, capture cards, scanners, printers, whatever - as long as the VM can correctly emulate and communicate bidirectionally, you'll have a good chance you can get older devices to work with the VM when it can't with Win10 on the new PC.

My particular case is a Canon DR-2050 that doesn't have Win10 driver support, but does for older OSs. Simply installing XP with DR-2050 drivers immediately allows me to connect and scan without any issues.

Afterwards, the VM allows sharing of folders, drives, and even drag-and-drop of files between the VM and actual PC, so I can get the scans out.

If you're smart, you can create a VM with win10 for just Tax Prep software, and only use that 1 time a year to prepare and send in your taxes.
    Update Win10 each year with the latest security patches, but otherwise, don't run the VM - simply store it on a flash/hard drive for safe keeping during the rest of the year. This makes is far less likely to be attacked, data stolen, etc. And, you know it is 100% clean for doing taxes (versus your daily internet surfing system that might have gotten infected).

Such images can be encrypted/password protected so that the social security and other tax info stored in the VM is safe from theft.

What's nice about VMs is that you can take them and run them on any other computer just like it was made. If you have years of tax software installed in a VM, it's easy to sell your computer and buy another, then run the VM to access your tax software without any reinstalling. If you didn't, you'd have to copy all the tax files off, erase the old computer, reinstall the tax software on the new computer, then copy back all the data for all the years you have.

If you have 100 programs installed in a VM, you simply copy the VM to a new PC and run to get access to all 100 perfectly installed programs.
    Don't, and you'll have to reinstall all 100 programs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the update! Given that windows 7 won't get anymore updates from now on, is this likely the last update from this tool as far as 7 is concerned? Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also tried the new download ISO button. Nothing seemed to happen.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post

If you're smart, you can create a VM with win10 for just Tax Prep software, and only use that 1 time a year to prepare and send in your taxes.
    Update Win10 each year with the latest security patches, but otherwise, don't run the VM - simply store it on a flash/hard drive for safe keeping during the rest of the year. This makes is far less likely to be attacked, data stolen, etc. And, you know it is 100% clean for doing taxes (versus your daily internet surfing system that might have gotten infected).

Such images can be encrypted/password protected so that the social security and other tax info stored in the VM is safe from theft.

What you'll find below was hastily excerpted from a recent CNET forum discussion regarding the security of Guest OS sessions in a VM.

================================================== =========

"Something to note is that running ANYTHING in a virtual machine does NOT protect it from the outside world. This is a misconception. The virtual machine still has direct contact with the outside world and is just as vulnerable as if it was running native on the hardware. That is, if you run Windows in a virtual box, you need an anti-virus for BOTH the host OS as well as the virtual OS. The host does not "protect" the virtual in any way."

&

Re:Windows exectutables in Linux
    by Dowwwn-loader | January 11, 2020 8:49 PM PST

"Where you say "......or use it on the internet ................................. you can simply not save or update the VM ..................... That erases all changes..........."; that is simply untrue; if installed in a virtual machine, any (Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, BSD etc.) given OS acts exactly as it would, on physical hardware."

================================================== ==

Are they correct ? The latter reply concerned the tactic of terminating-without-saving the (current) VM, such that an older, archival, static, or template version -- from prior to any potential contamination -- is what would be started up, the next time around. I had been under the impression that that was quite possible. So, I do not assume that these posters know what they are talking about. I had thought that you could in fact "wall off" your Guest session of 7 (or XP), such that no possible infection could reach the Host OS, or settle into the underlying hardware. Also that you could blow away that transitory Guest (VM emulated) OS when you were done with a session, and re-init your Guest template -- just as it was before -- the next time around. If you needed to save something from a session that might be risky, like a file download, there were safer ways around that. (?)

I'd like to hear from people who have a correct and deep knowledge on this subject. Maybe I'll have to go over to somewhere like the Wilders forum for that ? And I'd like to find some good tutorials on setting up those VM security measures, for Virtualbox and for VMWare.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 19th Jan 2020 at 16:20.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  26. What I said was that for the brief period you do use the vm, you've updated the security patches. This provides the latest protection.
    Update the tax software.

To be clear, then take it offline (easy switch in the vm to disconnect the virtual network card). Your "clean" vm is now isolated from outside attacks - Not connected to the internet.

Do your taxes, finish, connect the vm to internet, submit taxes, disconnect.

Now, during the brief minutes you've connected to the internet, there's always the minor chance you'll get infected with a 0-day (nothing you can do about that, but again rare). However, in general, because you're not using the web browser, the vm network is briefly connected, and your system only does tax and Windows updates online before being disconnected, the chance is being infected is so rare, I wouldn't lose sleep - it'll likely be some 0-day nobody can do anything about.

Now, all vm can be attacked over the network from inside the vm (0-day, web Trojan, etc), as well as outside (host machine is infected).

VM attacks from outside are rarer than regular attacks because few use vm. So the chances of that on a updated, clean host is very rare.

From within, it can be attacked like any pc online.
    The virtual network card adds a tiny layer of protection (double nat idea if the vm is setup like that).
    The primary comes from the brief period of time it's exposed online and the non-use of the web browser (the primary attack route). Tax software only talks to tax servers, Windows only talks to Windows update, so an attacker would have to be actively scanning your network (breaking thru router firewall, then windows firewall), find the double nat, then attack the vm in the minutes it's online.

Percentage wise, nothing is 100% secure.

Realistically, a vm used this way in a clean host approaches the 99.9xxxxx% likelyhood imo. But what about unreported 0-days hidden for years? - oh, well. Nothing anyone can do about those or even the state-actor nsa-like hacks.

The vm has the ability to save "states". So once you've installed Windows+ tax software clean, you can instantly revert to that "clean" state after each use. Any attacks, viruses, etc that have invaded the vm windows is erased by doing this. (So is data, so you'd save that elsewhere).

Even if the vm gets infected, the rare virus that knows a vm exists and can break through the emulation into the host is even more rare (and the vm maker patches those issues quickly). usually, you can play with a virus infected vm all day long without getting your host infected usually (how researchers study and create viruses).

On the host, sandboxie, App-V (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/app-v/appv-for-windows), thinapp, etc further "virtualize" apps so that changes occur in an isolated sandbox that doesn't affect the host.

Primary use is to create portable apps (like office on a usb drive) you can use on any pc without install, but also to isolate attacks.

Here, a virtualized Web browser that visits an infected page only gets infected inside it's sandbox, and when you close and reset the virtualized Web browser back to its "clean" original state, infections are erased. (Again, there are attacks that can break out of such, like thinapp attacks, but very rare)

Host pc clean and up to date, running virtualized apps, a vm for taxes can be very very secure. You'd primarily be only vulnerable to those rare 0-day drive by attacks that don't require user interaction or web browsing to get infected.

Of course, because people usually get infected through wen pages, please install an ad block like Ublock Origin!! Simply getting rid of most popup ads and ads eliminate much of the issues.
    Next, use a non-majority browser like Opera/Firefox helps because many attacks are geared for Chrome/Edge/Safari.

Even better, surf by changing the browser id string to something it's not. For example, if you're using Firefox, change the browser id to internet explorer. This confuses the attack scripts into sending the wrong attack that won't work.

Anyways Wilders Security forums etc have tons on talk on system security.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. We are primarily interested in different scenarios. I don't do any taxes online or on a PC; rather, it's an old school model in place here: sending packets of paper to the accountant via Fed-Ex, a couple times per year. As a substantial firm in business for a great many years, one would expect them to have good security measures in house. So, that situation is largely out of my hands. I don't file electronically, either.

My interest is that I have a ton of audio and video related apps & utilities, which work very well under Win 7. I've already found several that don't seem to like 10. And 10 is a major pain in the ass to me, every day I use it. What I want to do is to continue running these apps in a Guest 7, turning the vast majority of contact with the outside world (Internet) over to a Host that would be Win 10, or possibly some Linux distro. The "grey" area would likely be file downloads, file transfers, and online file capture stuff a la TubeDigger. It may be that I would have to leave all of that to the Host OS, which would remain up-to-date security-wise. But that could become awkward and impractical, if you can't switch back and forth between Guest & Host, at will.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  28. The guest OS can run in a window or full screen on the host. So you can switch back and forth any time you want.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

My interest is that I have a ton of audio and video related apps & utilities, which work very well under Win 7. I've already found several that don't seem to like 10.
    Most VM aren't going to provide high end, virtual audio/video interfaces, so if you're app needs a top end soundblaster card emulation, probably not going to happen.

That said, due to the millions of hw/sw combinations out there, only real way is to try.

You can image your current win7 system, load it into vmware workstation player running on any pc, etc, and try all the apps out - no reinstall needed.
    (This was a nice easy way for me to keep my xp desktop with scanner support when moving to my win10 laptop.)

https://www.howtogeek.com/213145/how-to%C2%A0convert-a-physical-windows-or-linux-pc-to...rtual-machine/
    https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player/workstation-player-evaluation.html

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/quick-start/enable-hyper-v
    https://www.sysnettechsolutions.com/en/install-windows-7-in-hyper-v-manager/

There are emulation differences between hyper-v (Microsoft), workstation (vmware), virtualbox (oracle), etc, so you'd have to try them out to see if your apps work.

Vmware is mature, can even emulate a mac, so I'd try that first.
    Microsoft has the advantage you can load a hyper-v machine into their azure cloud, so you can run you vm over the internet anywhere (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/prepare-for-upload-vhd-image). Also, part of win10 pro, so if you have pro, nothing more to do but turn the feature on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The guest OS can run in a window or full screen on the host. So you can switch back and forth any time you want.
    Thanks, jagabo. Good to know.
    And then leave it to the Host to handle contact with the outside world ?

However, one of of those CNET posters I quoted said you needed a good AV solution for both the Guest & the Host OSes . . . .

@ babygdav,
    Forgot to mention that I have been using the NoScript extension for quite a long time. Very useful, maybe even essential. (It does get to be annoying when you get to a web page that has like 48 page permission items to peruse and sign off on. Hate that !) Anything that starts with "ad____" is generally denied a permission. I'm also often a user of AdBlock, or one of its offshoots or functional equivalents, although nowadays you tend to run into quite a few sites that refuse to even load, unless and until you disable all ad blockers or anti-trackers.
    Quote Quote