VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

There are many different software available to record video from PC Monitors and i need to find the right one for my needs. I have 3 LG monitors and i use them in portrait mode so i am looking for a software (for Windows 10) that will let me record one or all of the 3 monitors. The monitors are 4k HDR and the resolution is 3840x2160 but because i have them rotated, i run them using 2160x3840 instead.

I have already tried Flashback Express (free) and OBS studio but its not working the way i want it to. After setting a custom resolution (2160x3840) in video settings and record the screen, the video is still wrong way and its also missing information at the top and bottom.

There must be some software available that lets me record in portrait mode right?
    Any tips and help is much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I probably have this wrong but...

A rotated monitor is still a 3840*2160 display and it is your video card that is controlling the rotation.

Have you simply attempted to capture 'full-screen' and rotate the captured video after the event ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, rocknrolla115;

You can do this with OBS Studio, --

* Open OBS studio, go into "Settings" and select the "Video" section. Set your Base (Canvas) Resolution to whatever your screen is, and set Output (Scaled) option the same

* In the "Sources" menu in OBS, set your Display Capture device (or add a Display Capture device) to your Portrait monitor. Make sure the resolution matches your Base (Canvas) Resolution.

* Your portrait display should now appear in the OBS window, and most likely it will need to be rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise to fit in the OBS window -- right-click screen display in the OBS window, and a menu should appear with an entry for "Transform." Hover over that and you'll see options to Rotate the screen, choose Rotate 90 degrees CCW. This takes your Portrait monitor and turns it to Landscape mode in OBS, because you need to record in Landscape mode to fit the full resolution onto the recording.

* Record your screen. When done, open your video file in VLC, in the Portrait window. VLC will show your video sideways -- the wrong way -- but then go into the Tools menu in VLC, select Effects and Filters, select Video effects, and under Geometry select the "Transform" checkbox. Once checked you'll then see an option for "Rotate by 90 degrees." Select that, and voila -- you now have a full-size portrait formatted video playing back in your portrait monitor. If that made sense.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
    Hi, rocknrolla115;

You can do this with OBS Studio, --

* Open OBS studio, go into "Settings" and select the "Video" section. Set your Base (Canvas) Resolution to whatever your screen is, and set Output (Scaled) option the same

* In the "Sources" menu in OBS, set your Display Capture device (or add a Display Capture device) to your Portrait monitor. Make sure the resolution matches your Base (Canvas) Resolution.

* Your portrait display should now appear in the OBS window, and most likely it will need to be rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise to fit in the OBS window -- right-click screen display in the OBS window, and a menu should appear with an entry for "Transform." Hover over that and you'll see options to Rotate the screen, choose Rotate 90 degrees CCW. This takes your Portrait monitor and turns it to Landscape mode in OBS, because you need to record in Landscape mode to fit the full resolution onto the recording.

* Record your screen. When done, open your video file in VLC, in the Portrait window. VLC will show your video sideways -- the wrong way -- but then go into the Tools menu in VLC, select Effects and Filters, select Video effects, and under Geometry select the "Transform" checkbox. Once checked you'll then see an option for "Rotate by 90 degrees." Select that, and voila -- you now have a full-size portrait formatted video playing back in your portrait monitor. If that made sense.

Hope this helps!
    Many thanks for the detailed explanation! Will try this
    Quote Quote