VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys first I like to say to all, and excuse me please my English because is not my first language, for several years I used and tried various defragmentation softwares I just dont remember the list beause they are a lot, the thing is and for example I tried xxxx defag and when I check the disc that was defragmented when I tried with another one, it says the disc is not defrag, from three years ago I use the Windows 10 defag but I wish to know if you can recommend another software for defragmentation?

Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On my Windows 8.1 PC I have the Puran defrag program installed but I've hardly used; perhaps for one or two specific
    things - in my case where the MFT or Pagefile was in 2 pieces and that program optimized it in a boot-time defrag.

The built-in tool will not defrag large files into one big piece; as long as the extents are bigger than 64MB
    it doesn't bother moving them - this works fine for most situations
    Last edited by davexnet; 2nd Oct 2019 at 16:15.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I used Auslogics Disk Defrag when I had Windows XP and I keep using it after I switched to Windows 7.
    You can always find and try older versions if you think that the recent versions are not necessarily better and are often (more) bloated.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you try the Auslogics free disk defrag then make sure that you download the 8.?? version NOT the newer version 9.?? as they've removed a number of features from the free version 9.??.

Also, pay attention during the install and I would recommend NOT installing either the SpeedBoost or Driver update programs that they offer you.
    Last edited by TimA-C; 2nd Oct 2019 at 16:08. Reason: Additional Info
    Quote Quote  
  5. After so many years there is no better defrag tool than MyDefrag (and good defrag script like 'Jaspion MyDefrag Scripts' pack) - i think it should work with Win 10 too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't found it necessary to defrag for years. I use Win 7 and when I check there is no fragmentation nor do I have any performance issues. I keep my C drive for the operating system only and all data on another drive.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I haven't found it necessary to defrag for years. I use Win 7 and when I check there is no fragmentation nor do I have any performance issues. I keep my C drive for the operating system only and all data on another drive.
    Defragmentation is essential in case of hardisk failure when you recovering data... on SSD usually there is no gain from defragmenting as SEEK is marginal when compared to HDD but defragmenting even SSD is recommended in case of data recovery.
    Quote Quote