VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

Well, I most emphatically hope that you do manage to stick around, as your contributions have been of major value ! That work you did with Peter of IsoBuster was simply EPIC !

[Maybe it's just some innate knack, but I usually seem to be able to ignore the trolls, wherever they may pop up. They are far from being worth getting riled up over.]

Particular knowledge and skill sets vanishing into history extends well beyond this example, unfortunately.

If anyone has more recent commentary on that NYC Beta shop, or Doctor Sony over on ePay, please post your updates here, and if I find out anything along those lines I'll do likewise.
    Thank you.

Tolerating trolls and not over reacting.. is an under appreciated skill.

I think the Internet is filtering out people like me by its own form of darwinsim.. i may not last long.

The Peter Isobuster thing.. was total "strategy".. i have seen a lot of opensource and "free" projects fail and vanish into history.

Peter has a great product and he has many reasons for actively maintaining it and updating it.. and he has a thick skin and lots of healthy curiosity.. in my opinion he deals with stress very well. He'll be one of the survivors.

As such, that he took on the "possibility" of adding reading DVR HDD recorders and ran with it..and mutated it to cover Blu-ray recorders and all sort of things.. he is brilliant, amazing.. and I can't say I'm shocked enough. He has this way of not getting bogged down and advancing with things that are "good enough" for now and coming back to refine them later.

He's just dammed smart, technically and in so many other ways.. (and) he keeps a low profile. A very rare and not egocentric individual.

I went looking for someone to add DVD HDD to PC copy to an exiting product.. and found someone imminently equipped to make it so much more.

I know HDV (long GOP) or MPEG2 don't get much archivist love; but its easy and something your mother could do without any hand holding, and it was a Theatrical Movie standard for years.. our ATSC digital broadcast system is based on it.. billions of people satisfied so far. And DVD recorders (later ones) were designed with TBC and Frame Sync built in exactly to be compatible with VHS and Beta transfer.. they were purpose built for the task.

Peters Isobuster makes getting that stuff off easy, makes selling the "service" of extracting the HDD once a month or year and harvesting thousands of hours of programming to a USB stick or portable hard drive "easy".. A Grandmother could do it.

Sure if your a Video Editor, Content producer, or 1980 Commericals hater, its not perfect.. but its far better than figuring out how to build a retro PC and running some arcane driver and operating system to capture in yuv or lagarith.. when you might be better off using a cheap AJA Kona card you can buy for $20 today .. i bought two the other day for $4 each.. the high end SD stuff is getting cheap. - The irony is a DVD HDD that supports pass through, has a TBC and Frame sync.. its built in.. its what they were made for.. you can get them for $10 and then decide you want to spend $4000 on a standalone TBC from 1992. There is a huge gulf between what most people are perfectly happy with and what perfectionists are looking for.. i get so sad thinking about this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    12Voltvids can be very harsh to new people.

He's a wise cracking Dad that does not suffer fools, and he gets riled up easier and easier these days.

For a native Canadian he can be shockingly blunt some times.

But his content is part experience, intuition and working knowledge. He has been trained and he has vast experience across many product brands and devices.

He is simply too good to ignore.

But I would recommend to anyone just crossing his channel to "Stay Out of the Comments !!!"

Subscribing and contributing to his pateron makes sense.. I have done both periodically.. and come and gone back and forth.

But he's consistent and his channel has been online for years.. well worth looking at his back catalog of videos, and he tags them for word search very well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3DGamerman is back

I don't know how old the people reading this thread are, but back in the 1990's before YouTube there was a self built streaming website called 3DGamerman.

Rodney Reynolds did reviews of hardware gear, just about every ATI Wonder and ATI ALL in Wonder cards were thoroughly unboxed, reviewed and cited with all the specifications, software and drivers installed on a period PC and functions demonstrated.

Years later after YouTube was born, he transferred his vast collection to YouTube.. and then a few years ago.. mysteriously "disappeared".

I don't know what happened, but his video show format and reviews were very distinct and unique and he may have felt they didn't compete well with tech channels like Linus Tech Tips (LTT) .. he wasn't video centric, or video capture centric.. but much of his content just gravitated in that direction.

Over time.. his reviews are the best and the only information that can be found about hardware in many cases.

When he "disappeared" many people were very concerned, but his content remains online on Youtube to this day.

He had a young family and it was speculated he was trolled and driven offline by concerns for his family.. or just got busy with real life and took a break.

I'm glad to mention.. he has resurfaced, alive and well and running a very private curated Youtube venue with limited access to vetted members.

It was a welcome relief to find out.. since he was there at the dawn of high end gaming and video capture card technology.

He's riding motorcycles and enjoying life in Canada and making really nice short videos.. and hilariously just discovered a Mac M1 !

He was always a Windows guy before.

So it looks like he was a victim of the Internet and found peace, and its very nice to see him back. He looks quite young and will likely be around for many years to come.

I guess this is just an update, and information for anyone looking for youtube videos about and demonstrating ATI Graphics cards and ATI video Graphics Capture cards. Its one place to look, and the format was developed over years.. so from one video to the next you know what to expect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM

i didn't want to chance getting flamed.
    Last edited by jwillis84; 10th Aug 2022 at 02:25.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post

As such, that he took on the "possibility" of adding reading DVR HDD recorders and ran with it..and mutated it to cover Blu-ray recorders and all sort of things.. he is brilliant, amazing.. and I can't say I'm shocked enough. He has this way of not getting bogged down and advancing with things that are "good enough" for now and coming back to refine them later.

He's just dammed smart, technically and in so many other ways.. (and) he keeps a low profile. A very rare and not egocentric individual.

I went looking for someone to add DVD HDD to PC copy to an exiting product.. and found someone imminently equipped to make it so much more.

I know HDV (long GOP) or MPEG2 don't get much archivist love; but its easy and something your mother could do without any hand holding, and it was a Theatrical Movie standard for years.. our ATSC digital broadcast system is based on it.. billions of people satisfied so far. And DVD recorders (later ones) were designed with TBC and Frame Sync built in exactly to be compatible with VHS and Beta transfer.. they were purpose built for the task.

Peters Isobuster makes getting that stuff off easy, makes selling the "service" of extracting the HDD once a month or year and harvesting thousands of hours of programming to a USB stick or portable hard drive "easy".. A Grandmother could do it.
    Now I know this very probably ain't ever gonna happen, but if someone could additionally crack the (encrypted) recorded content on a DirecTV DVR, for archival extraction, that is something I would spend some $$ on. I've got 3 of those dead or out of service Sat DVR boxes, at last count. Each has I-don't-know-quite-what-anymore on it at the time it went down, but with each way more than half full. (Those typically had 1GB hard drives in them, I think. These were boxes I owned, and so never had to return to DTV.) If long established patterns hold, that probably includes many rare movies that may not turn up anywhere again anytime soon. In just the last few months, I've identified at least 4 such films, that have not turned up in many years and which won't be broadcast again -- perhaps ever. I've gotten quite good at locating rarities -- whether bootlegs, TVrips, or whatever -- from a diversity of sources, so, after a certain amount of searching, I have a pretty good sense of what can be found or replaced, and what can't.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi all
    how are those PAL machines
    JVC HR-S7711EU
    JVC HR-S7611EU
    JVC HR-S7722EU

Is the S7xxx good or recommended?
    Last edited by Idan1822; 20th Aug 2023 at 09:16.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    JVC HR-S7711EU & JVC HR-S7722EU (from 2000) are the same devices only with a different case color (black, silver).

JVC HR-S7611EU (black case) is the same device as a JVC HR-S7600EU (champagne case) from 1999.

All 3 have a TBC&DNR.

Whether these JVC units are the best players for your tapes or a Panasonic unit you can only find out yourself.

Here is an overview about the different JVC PAL devices with some additional information in english language:

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide-17.html#post84039

and a more updated version of it (only in german language):

https://gleitz.info/forum/index.php?thread/48526-%C3%BCbersicht-%C3%BCber-alle-jvc-pan...r-deutschland/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi everyone, I am in a lot of pain and dilemma what VCR to choose. So I registered here to ask you for some help of picking up some good VCR and not to spend fortune on it hehe

I used to have some garbage LG LV4981 with 6 head, and now that head is half dead, so I decide to buy new second hand one on ebay, but I can't figure out what to choose. I have some tapes from 70/80/90 and 2000. And I'm digitalizing them so it's important to have VCR that reproduce good picture quality and sound (I guess 6 heads minimal) and to read PAL and NTSC.

EDIT:
    I see that you mention in first post NV-HS860 but not 850. Is NV-HS850 ok choice for task that I need ?

I just got offer for jvc HR-S9400 with remote for 200 euros is that ok price for that vcr ? I also see that it's not mentioned in first post for recommandation.
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 21st Feb 2024 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The HR-S9400 is a non TBC VCR and have the DD system, Proceed with caution.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The HR-S9400 is a non TBC VCR and have the DD system, Proceed with caution.
    Thanks for info. I'm new in this. Can you tell me what exactly is TBC on VCR and DD system ?

What VCR do you suggest me to buy with 6 heads or more ?
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 21st Feb 2024 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    DD is a dynamic drum system, a mechanical system that tilts the drum to produce stable pause and fast forward/rewind playback, not needed for normal playback at all, and it has a high failing rate because gears cracking due to shrinking plastic.

Line TBC in VCR stabilizes scan line timing to produce wiggle/jitter free images.

Head count is a marketing scheme, VCRs have 2 heads for SP (normal playback), 2 for LP/EP (long play) and 2 for HiFi audio, This is the basic setup for most VCRs made in the 90's and forward.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    DD is a dynamic drum system, a mechanical system that tilts the drum to produce stable pause and fast forward/rewind playback, not needed for normal playback at all, and it has a high failing rate because gears cracking due to shrinking plastic.

Line TBC in VCR stabilizes scan line timing to produce wiggle/jitter free images.

Head count is a marketing scheme, VCRs have 2 heads for SP (normal playback), 2 for LP/EP (long play) and 2 for HiFi audio, This is the basic setup for most VCRs made in the 90's and forward.
    Oh, ok, thank you so much for this info., didn't know that.

Do you recommand some specific brand and model maybe ?

I was doing a little reasearch on google, and I found on ebay NV-HS850 from panasonic is that ok VCR for 210 euros ? Or do you recommand some better one for price around that one ? And I need to have PAL and NTSC.

I know HS860 is better but his price is 350 euros, and for that one seller offers 1 yr warranty.

NV-FS90 I found for 180 euros
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 21st Feb 2024 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Any help is welcome
    Quote Quote  
  14. I finally got my JVC 7960. for now I'm happy with it, really good vcr.

I tried to find calibration and 3R to disable it, but I don't have that option. Can someone tell are these settings ok like this

https://i.imgur.com/yVwiTwE.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/dPjP91S.jpg

I set O.S.D off for now for digizalitation, don't want that play to be on screen on every start.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I believe not all JVC VCRs have 3R function, Check the user manual for your exact model with the letters at the end of the model.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I believe not all JVC VCRs have 3R function, Check the user manual for your exact model with the letters at the end of the model.
    It's JVC 7960e

But all other settings are ok ?
    Quote Quote