VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a free software I can just input the file and specify it to output segments in mp4?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This can be easily done AFAIK in mkvtoolnix. Only thing you have to do after this is remux to mp4. And there is tons of program that can do this. Avidemux is one of them, but one among plenty of others. I bet ffmpeg can do this directly but I'm not familiar with cli programs.

Edit: The way i mentioned isn't frame accurate. You can split file by size or time and several others way, but it doesn't reencode video, so only can split on keyframes. So not frame accurate. If you want frame accurate split, you have to reencode these parts or use smart rendering support software.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 1st Sep 2018 at 13:00. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  3. mp4box has a -split-size option in KB

splits are not always "perfect", they are limited by where the keyframe placements are in your source file. So some segments might be slightly larger or smaller.

e.g. if you wanted ~100MB chunks

Code:
    mp4box -split-size 100000 input.mp4
    it will output
    input_001.mp4
    input_002.mp4
    input_003.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'll try mp4box as that's easy to use. This is for a project I need to copyright and the stupid US Copyright Office's upload max size is 500mb so they told me I have to split them into parts. So it's a headache for something you would think wouldn't need to be done.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks this works. The problem is I have 15 (huge files) to do this with and mp4box doesn't like the file names.

How could I use a bat script to keep the same file names and do ALL mp4 files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by TubeBar View Post
    Thanks this works. The problem is I have 15 (huge files) to do this with and mp4box doesn't like the file names.

How could I use a bat script to keep the same file names and do ALL mp4 files?

Maybe you have spaces in filenames ? Enclose with quotation marks . Weird characters can cause problems too, it wasn't the space issue you might need to rename the file

Code:
    mp4box -split-size 100000 "input file.mp4"
    Batch would look something like this
    Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do mp4box -split-size 100000 "%%a" 
    pause
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks. Yes I do have spaces in file names that could have been a problem. The bat file works perfectly If I have any problem files, I will try the quotation marks.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Batch would look something like this
    Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do mp4box -split-size 100000 "%%a" 
    pause
    Thank you so much for this
    Quote Quote