VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone

So I have a series which has a resolution of 1920x1080p for the video files and I found external subtitles (.ass) for the corresponding show with a resolution of 960x540p. I have a preference for non bold text and normally for most shows I watch I manually edit the styles and resample the resolution Aegisub as they are usually not that many episodes to go through. But unfortunately for me, this show has 148 episodes and I have only managed to edit a few episodes (05) and thinking of doing this 143 more times is not really fun and I wanted to know if it's possible to batch edit SSA subtitles.

The .ass subtitles have multiple styles (roughly 5 to 6 per file) and I only want to edit 3 of those (Styles: Default, Default - Margin, Default - italics) without altering the remaining styles for each subtitle file. I also want to batch resample the resolution from 540p to 1080p. From what I have learnt in my little time using Aegisub, when you resample the resolution the font size, outline and a bunch of other stuff are scaled to account for the change. The reason I mentioned this is because I had thought about just doing a simple text find and replace but I am not sure if that will turn out great for the resolution change.

Anyway thank you in advance and looking forward to any guidance and help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Perhaps not quite a batch job but you could do it with 5 Search in Notepad++ provided the subtitles are in the same directory.

First you use Search -> Find in Files to "Replaces in Files" to replace PlayResX and PlayResY as shown below.

[Attachment 57951 - Click to enlarge]

Next you replace the Style definition from the original file with the definition in one of the 5 you have resampled, eg below.

[Attachment 57952 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Perhaps not quite a batch job but you could do it with 5 Search in Notepad++ provided the subtitles are in the same directory.

First you use Search -> Find in Files to "Replaces in Files" to replace PlayResX and PlayResY as shown below.

[Attachment 57951 - Click to enlarge]

Next you replace the Style definition from the original file with the definition in one of the 5 you have resampled, eg below.

[Attachment 57952 - Click to enlarge]

Thank yo so much for the help. Although yes it might not be quite a batch job like you mentioned, it still did the work. I edited one set of the subs and styles with Aegisub and made it the way I wanted it to be. From there I did as you said and used Find & Replace for each line of style I wanted to edit separately and also changed the resolution and all. I've only checked a few of the subs with Aegisub and they seem to be fine. Will update if I run into any issues, but I highly doubt it. If find and replace returned less number of successful replaced texts eg 130 of 147, I would then check the unedited by sorting by modified date and replacing the text in those files since not all of them had matching styles formats for the styles I wanted to edit.

Honestly again thank you and take care

UPDATE: 23/03/2021 @12:05PM

So it worked sort off but then because the adjustments made when you resample the resolution the correct way were not pplied meaning that the other unedited styles eg for signs still remained in their position for 540p meaning they were out of place for the 1080p video so I am back to manually resampling the resolution for each sub file.
    Last edited by randombuddy; 23rd Mar 2021 at 06:05.
    Quote Quote