VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys! I am trying to create a DVD menu for a wedding. And what I would like is that when you select "Play, Scenes or Photos" the highlight be an animation and not a band or an yellow line, or a simple image. I want the highlighter be an animation. But I realize that DVD ARCHITECT won't let me import video files for highlights. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THIS CAN BE DONE?

Attached image so to understand what I want to do

[Attachment 52374 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't. DVD highlights are static. (Blu Ray allows for more flexibility.) What you do is find a way to fake it. In the case of the image you've shown, you use a video background and create a highlight that matches the menu item once it's in position.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    You can't. DVD highlights are static. (Blu Ray allows for more flexibility.) What you do is find a way to fake it. In the case of the image you've shown, you use a video background and create a highlight that matches the menu item once it's in position.

Damn! Well thanks for clarifying my question. I was starting to freak out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hope it helps. When dealing with menus, more often than not you're creating the illusion of something happening rather than actually making that thing happen. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can do transparent hightlights (though you won't then know that it's highlighted), and do "buttons over video", and some auto-execute transitions, so you might combine them in a clever way to get close to what you want.
    But that's a lot of work for minor return. Probably not worth it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Animations can be done, but those are actually multipleanimated menus that are invisible to you as the user. The 2nd interstitial menu is the animated video. I've done advanced authoring like this before. The 3nd asset, the freeze frame, is a different icon. And then you can give false impression of movement by having a 4th menu. The menus rotate in order, with a counter. It will not be fast motion on the 3rd/4th menus, but still impression of motion. Older or inferior DVD recorders may have pauses at asset changes.

It's very "easy" in DVDWS2. But time consuming.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. or DVDLab Pro, it is a remarkable tool
    the way it works, wording , you need to create menu (subpicture plus image) and the outro, which is another cell (subpicture + video or not subpicture , just video) of the same menu

DVDArchitect kind of stands out, it does not followed user experience like DVDMaestro started it all, their developers went their unique way to implement user interface, not sure how to do it. You might need to assign end action for a menu some other menu with that outro video. So you might add even some audio to it, some chime as well, etc. Try to place that menu right underneath of first static menu, if there is such a way to do it, so needle does not wheez on the other side of disk to continue, so it is more seamless. But abstract layer of that app might redirect it thru VMGM so it will take a some fraction of time anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just reading this thread is impressive as hell. I’m learning a lot! Thanks for all the information!!!
    Quote Quote