VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm in the process of backing up a tonne of family videos and have a huge collection of 4K 30fps MOVS from an iPhone 7 which are flipped 180º when viewed on anything that doesn't read the quicktime metadata.

Another problem is I'm viewing them across my home network from a NAS box to my 2018 Sony 4K tv in the VLC app, and as well as appearing upside down, they stutter in playback. I've solved the stutter problem by doing a quick MKVToolnix conversion (no recompression - Just switching to MKV) and this works perfectly..... The only remaining issue is that they just appear upside down still.

My question is - Is there any way to edit the videos' rotation without a recompression? Don't want to impact quality if I can avoid it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    in VLC, when choose video in setting, choose show all, or similar and there is trasform tool, where you can choose flip, mirror etc.
    I have VLC in my native language, so probably not all translations are o.k.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could try to set rotation metadata with the help of ffmpeg:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v copy -c:a copy -metadata:s:v:0 rotate=180 -y output.mkv
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, thanks - I'll give it a go
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mkv container doesn't have rotation metadata.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the advice fornit, but sneaker is correct. VLC on Windows picks up the 180 metadata flip, but the tv doesn't.

Looks like I'm going to have to convert them all I guess
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, sneaker is right. Also with mp4 some players do the flip and others don't.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Quote Quote