VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guess there is probably a very easy answer to a dumb question, but what is the easiest, most reliable way to backup a dvd9 movie to a dvd dl blank disc? Is DVD Decrypter (ISO read/ISO write) all I need?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For burning, DVD Decrypter (no longer updated as of 2005) should work fine, but it's better to go with ImgBurn as it's still in developtment and made by the same author as DVD Decrypter.

If you mean for ripping, then I'd say DVDFab HD Decrypter is the way to go.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    by backing up, i mean ripping and burning, with no loss or shrinking. will dvd decrypter not do both? also, i'm wanting to use all freeware/open source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cadlewv
    by backing up, i mean ripping and burning, with no loss or shrinking. will dvd decrypter not do both? also, i'm wanting to use all freeware/open source.

Use AnyDVD to rip the movie. If you don't want to use DVD Shrink to fit the movie onto a single sided disc then just use ImgBurn to burn the movie.
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" ~ JOHN MILTON, PARADISE LOST
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    awesome, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cadlewv
    also, i'm wanting to use all freeware
    Originally Posted by HmNtr
    Use AnyDVD to rip the movie.
    AnyDVD is not freeware.

In the "good old days" all that was needed was dvddecrypter. Now dvd decrypter is no longer updated and will not work for newer movies.

Download DVDfabhddecrypter. It comes with all versions fully functional for 30 days. After 30 days the ripping functions are still free just the other functions are disabled.

Rip the dvd with dvdfabhddecrypter (the old dvddecrypter will not work on newer discs which is why dvdfabhddecrypter has been suggested).

Burn to a dual layer disc with imgburn (use only quality dual layer discs like verbatim).
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    While AnyDVD is not free, you get a 21 day fully functional trial version, and if you buy the program prior to December 31st, 2008, then you have free updates for life instead of having to move to the subscription based version of the program which is going to be launched on January 1st, 2009...
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" ~ JOHN MILTON, PARADISE LOST
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thats all fine and dandy but as it is the original poster asked for freeware recommendations.

I'm not saying anydvd is bad software mind you. I have no problems with AnyDVD. I think it is a good piece of software that does what it is supposed to well. I tried it myself before and found it adequate.

However the freeware functions of dvdfabhddecrypter serve my needs just as well and it also is constantly updated.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote