VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently gotten my hands on a 1080i video which I intend to watch with the best possible presentation. By that I mean I am hoping to find a media player whose deinterlacer is as impeccable as 2018 technology can render. In truth, I had expected this to be a long-solved issue, and indeed I have had great luck with deinterlacing whenever watching 480i content, or so I thought

But within seconds of playing the video in either VLC or MPC-HC, I noticed the kind of artifacts that suggested that either no deinterlacing was taking place, or it was simply failing to achieve what I am confident can be achieved. Rapid movement spots like moving mouths or blinking eyes were regularly being shown with interlacing, even as frame-by-frame.

This led me to this helpful post from a decade ago. In it, the author provides a sample 1080i video along with many detailed explanations on how to identify the type of deinterlacer a given playback device may be using. Through the use of this post and the provided video, I was able to determine a few things:
    • In 2009 at least, vector adaptive deinterlacing seems to have been the clear winner.
    • Based on the artifacting I saw, MPC-HC (MadVR) quite clearly uses motion adaptive deinteralcing.
    • Based on the artifacting I saw, VLC (Yadif 2x) quite clearly uses either adaptive or bob deinterlacing. (Permanent flickering even when not in motion.)
    • Vector adaptive deinterlacing is not in evidence in either case.

If I prove unable to find a vector adaptive deinterlacing solution today in 2018, MPC-HC is the obvious choice between these two players in their default configurations. But I am obviously hoping for better.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Upload video file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best possible quality comes from QTGMC in Avisynth. So you would have to re-encode it, as you normally can't use QTGMC in realtime.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Best possible quality comes from QTGMC in Avisynth. So you would have to re-encode it, as you normally can't use QTGMC in realtime.
    I am familiar with QTGMC, having made use of it in a few of my own home video projects. As you likely know, it is not well-suited for the realtime demands of a media player. I'm not hoping for a miracle. I'm hoping for a media player that can do at least what was possible ten years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If the video is film based you will be better served by an inverse telecine.

For real interlaced video you might be able to get AviSynth's nnedi3(-2) to run in realtime.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Upload video file
    It's in the post I gave a link to above. But here is a direct link.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Upload video file
    It's in the post I gave a link to above. But here is a direct link.
    That's the file you want to watch? I thought you have is another file and the one of AVS forum is just another sample file for testing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A test pattern like that isn't really indicative of deinterlacing quality. And that video isn't really interlaced, it's 30p with the fields out of phase. Play it with:

Code:
    SeparateFields()
    Trim(1,0)
    Weave()
    That easily runs in realtime on my old i5 2500K. Some players may do the same automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Asterra View Post

But within seconds of playing the video in either VLC or MPC-HC, I noticed the kind of artifacts that suggested that either no deinterlacing was taking place, or it was simply failing to achieve what I am confident can be achieved. Rapid movement spots like moving mouths or blinking eyes were regularly being shown with interlacing, even as frame-by-frame.

And that sample has no "mouthing mouths or blinking eyes"
    Quote Quote