VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Here's how to Copy Proteced DVD FREE!
    Place originall film DVD in CD Drive
    Download and install DVD Shrink 3.2
    1. put original in CD Player and run 'DVD Shrink'; Select 'Open Disk' and then'BackUp'

2. Find the .iso created above and open it with
    'Windows disk Image Burner'(Right click on 'Open with' and choose 'Windows disc Image Burner'

This procedure is free of charge and creates an .iso which will fit onto ONE DVD Optical disc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did you finish your homework before you got onto the internet?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck trying this on a new release movie !!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Comment deleted by gll99
    Last edited by gll99; 27th Jan 2017 at 16:29.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There might be a troll near by
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  6. This method has worked on 8 protected DVDs - which is all I have to say - please yourself if you use it or not!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by omega1234 View Post
    This method has worked on 8 protected DVDs - which is all I have to say - please yourself if you use it or not!
    Just before you posted this I removed my comment when I checked the link under "DVD FREE" and I was about to rewrite it. Since you are using a modern ripper (DVDFab HD Decrypter) to rip the DVD of course it will work. Unless you plan to shrink a dual layer disc to fit on a single layer disc you don't really need DVD Shrink though. You could just burn it with IMGBurn
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The free HD Decrypter may not work on all new release movies though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Its always interesting when someone shows up and jumps straight into a subject they have just discovered. Nice of you to share omega1234, but you may notice that the last update to DVDShrink was in 2004. That program was a frequent topic of discussion here at Videohelp, Doom9, CDFreaks and other sites while it was being developed some thirteen and fourteen years ago, so we are aware of it and its capabilities.

If you want a modern decrypter that is free and effective, I suggest MakeMKV. It decrypts and rips DVD's to main movie only MKV files, but it can decrypt and rip Blu-ray to a full backup in Copy mode, or to an MKV file in its normal operating mode. MakeMKV is free while in beta, and has been in beta for years now. You will have to reinstall it as new versions are released, or get a new beta key every 60 days or so from their forum.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've become immune to sarcasm and will just say that the ONLY software I use is DVDShrink and the Windows 7 built-in 'Windows Disc Image Burner'. The only dvds which my player will accept are single-sided 4.7Gb optical discs. Consequently most commercil film dvds must be reduced in size to below 4.7GB. I suppose there must be some reduction in quality but I am unable to visually detect it. I don't know (or care) how DVDShrink decrypts the original movie DVD.
    I am grateful for all your comments.
    Quote Quote  
  11. re: I don't know (or care) how DVDShrink decrypts the original movie DVD.
    DVDShrink does not decrypt it.. DVDFab-Decrypter does that job..
    DVDShrink only shrinks the ripped DVD

Also nothing really new about your process... been doing that for over a decade ...
    Last edited by teodz1984; 27th Jan 2017 at 19:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If the only dvds your player accepts are SL/SS discs, you have either a very outdated, very cheap, or very broken player. All modern models that I know of support both + and - (and sometimes even RAM as well), both ROM and R and RW, and both SL and DL (Dual layer) discs with ease. Of course, barring a specialty laser-flipping player, everyone knows you need to manually turn over a disc to use the other side.

Time to get a new drive!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. My DVD Player is only 21years old and plays all the films that LoveFilm sends mev- it also plays the shrunken .iso discs produced by DVD shrink etc. The reson I have assumed that DVDshrink decrypts the source disc is because it removes the commercial protection.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Let me repeat DVDFab-Decrypter (https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab-Decrypter)

DVDFab HD Decrypter is a simple version of DVDFab "DVD to DVD" and DVDFab "Blu-ray to Blu-ray". It copies entire DVD/Blu-ray movie to hard drive, and removes all the DVD protections (CSS, RC, RCE, APS, UOPs and Sony ARccOS) and part of Blu-ray protections while copying. NOTE! The decryption, DVD to HDD and Blu-ray to HDD, is FREE, if you want more features then it's a trialware. And it may take 1-6 months until it supports NEW DVD/Blu-ray releases. And click on TRY even if it says that the trial has expired.

not DVD Shrink
    DVDShrink is a free software to backup DVD disks. You can use this software in conjunction with DVD burning software of your choice, to make a backup copy of any DVD video disk. DVD Shrink is no longer updated. If you have trouble ripping use the free DVDFab Decrypter to rip and then use DVD Shrink to shrink it.

Big Note: DVDShrink NO LONGER DEVELOPED.. Latest version 3.2 (July 25, 2004)

Also a 21 year drive will eventually wear out... either the drive mechanisms or the laser pickup...
    I'm sure you should look out for a newer player soon
    or at least for the fact that you can play your LoveFilm sourced DVDs without any modification
    (unless you are pirating stuff and returning bought DVD to the shop after ripping them hoping for a refund
    or just ripping of rented titles)
    Last edited by teodz1984; 27th Jan 2017 at 21:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got to love these "how to suck eggs" posts.... yep I'm a cynical old bastard....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by omega1234 View Post
    Here's how to Copy Proteced DVD FREE!
    Place originall film DVD in CD Drive
    1. put original in CD Player and run 'DVD Shrink'; Select 'Open Disk' and then'BackUp'

2. Find the .iso created above and open it with
    'Windows disk Image Burner'(Right click on 'Open with' and choose 'Windows disc Image Burner'

This procedure is free of charge and creates an .iso which will fit onto ONE DVD Optical disc
    Are you saying that you don't use the software that is in your top link DVD FREE!

If so then the 8 DVD you have been able to copy so far must be older DVD that DVD Shrink can decrypt which would mean original titles released prior to the mid to possibly late 2000's at best. There are some cheap discs and flippers even today that use old copy protection technology that DVD Shrink can handle. I have a few such re-released titles. These are often multi movie packs of flippers or dollar store bargain releases that either are not protected at all or they have the old protection. Since you say your DVD player is 21 years old I suspect your movies are also older so what you are doing is fine for you but the method is incomplete/out-of-date for most people today.

DVD Shrink is fine and still has use if you need to shrink a movie to S/L size but as you've been told with modern titles you will need a more recently updated decrypter to back up your DVD discs. After the initial decryption there are other alternatives for further processing but there is nothing wrong with the rest of your steps and tools if that is your preference.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    thought I accidentally loaded the internet way back machine version of videohelp.com lol, Like others I use CloneDVD2/anydvd to rip current disks then DVD shrink to make each episode a their own vobset (clonedvd doesn't break each episode into it's own vts title sometimes) so I can drop it into CCextractor instead of having to OCR the subs. newer dvd's can have structure protection that DVD shrink cant handle, namely lionsgate titles. But it still makes a great post-processing tool. Main reason I don't use makeMKV on dvd's is it strips closed captions. Some older shows like star trek voyager, stargate etc only have the closed captions and don't have image subs so thats the only way I can keep them and remux manually afterwards.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks for last thread - yes -all the CDs I've used my method for are very old - at least 12 years. If I purchase new DVD player will I need to use double sided Disks or can you recommend some way of shrinking the .iso
    You will all be pleased to know that this will be the end of this thread - particularly our Australian computer Geek!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leghorn View Post
    There might be a troll near by
    Definitely a troll.

The first post states:

"Place originall film DVD in CD Drive
    1. put original in CD Player and run 'DVD Shrink'; Select 'Open Disk' and then'BackUp'"

Yet he/she/it knows that SL DVDs are 4.7Gb and must not be filled to the edge for proper burning:

"The only dvds which my player will accept are single-sided 4.7Gb optical discs. Consequently most commercil film dvds must be reduced in size to below 4.7GB"
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Did you finish your homework before you got onto the internet?
    By homework do you mean Farley's Rusks?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anydvd still works for me for decrypting, but dvdshrink has not worked on a dvd in a very long time (99% of the time returns 'Invalid DVD navigation structure'). DVD to hdd with anydvd and then 'shrink' works just fine.

I prefer 'iso' images from dvd's as I still use Argosy media player which does not recognize MKV & other containers.
    (can one convert MKV/other type files to iso??)

-c-

(another thing I have found: some really old dvd players cant play dvd's without a (n empty) AUDIO_TS [folder] on the disk. Seems the player looks for audio there first before looking for muxed audio in VIDEO_TS)
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I prefer 'iso' images from dvd's as I still use Argosy media player which does not recognize MKV & other containers.
    (can one convert MKV/other type files to iso??)
    ISO is a container. You can put any file you like in an ISO.
    If you are wanting to put an an MKV in an ISO and expect it to play as a DVD (with menus, extras etc.) then the answer is 'no'.
    You would have to convert MKV to a DVD in an authoring program and output to an ISO or put the resulting folder in an ISO package.
    There are many free ISO makers. Google and Softpedia will help you out there.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    (another thing I have found: some really old dvd players cant play dvd's without a (n empty) AUDIO_TS [folder] on the disk. Seems the player looks for audio there first before looking for muxed audio in VIDEO_TS)
    Long answer short; AUDIO_TS folder was designed for a different format...DVD Audio. Google it for the history.
    It never became as popular as cd even though the quality was/is/can be far superior. It is unnecessary for DVD Video and was included as a future standard for audio distribution. Theoretically the AUDIO_TS folder can be omitted when burning a DVD. This would be unwise, however, as most players insist on it being there. Something to do with standards and specifications, don't ya know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I understand they are containers, how much hassle to convert (dvd file/vob) in an mkv file 'container' to iso 'container'??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No hassle at all just use MakeMKV - done!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    No hassle at all just use MakeMKV - done!
    MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert DVD, Blu-ray and AVCHD discs that you own into MKV. The only thing MakeMKV does - it remuxes/changes the video clips from the disk into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way(no video and audio reconversion). The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms.

I dont understand, it sez: "The only thing MakeMKV does - it remuxes/changes the video clips from the disk into a set of MKV files"

Also, freeware that stops working after 60 days??
    Quote Quote  
  27. MakeMKV cannot turn an MKV file into an DVD ISO image.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ISO's can be 'mounted' with slysofts virtual clone drive (for one), one now has a virtual dvd.

Is there something equivilant for MKV files??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    ISO's can be 'mounted' with slysofts virtual clone drive (for one), one now has a virtual dvd.

You mean like "mounting"? Why would you do that? Simply play that file in VLC, MPC or whatever.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post

Of course not. MKV files are not DVD images.
    Quote Quote