VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi:

I decided to rip a copy of a movie I just bought recently because I've watched quite a few times and don't want the ruin the original with the constant viewing. Anyway, after ripping the movie I attempted to use DVD Shrink to put the movie onto a disc that I can use for frequent viewing, unfortunately I seem to have run into a problem with DVD shrink and wonder if I can get some help figuring out how to fix the problem.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD Shrink Error.jpg
Views:	2743
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1820
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Baldrick:

Thanks for the link to that forum post unfortunately it didn't help.

I guess I should have mentioned in my first post that I did use DVDFab to rip the DVD. I also used FixVTS and it seemed to be successful...until I attempted to use DVD Shrink and then I got that error message from the above post. I was able to rip and shrink successfully all the my other True Blood Season 1 Discs with no problem except for Disc 1.

As I said before I was able to rip the Disc 1 but was having problems with using DVD Shrink to shrink it. I downloaded VOBBlanker as per your suggestion and once again that outcome seemed to be okay, until I tried to Shrink it and once again I got the following error message "DVD Shrink encountered an error and needs to close"...and it does. I even went back and used DVDFab Custom rip on the folder that I had originally ripped and it seemed it re-ripped but I still had the same outcome "DVD Shrink encountered an error and needs to close"...and it did...again.

I don't what else to do.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you have tried everything.

How about shrink with something else ? LIke dvdrebuilder?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I decided to rip a copy of a movie I just bought recently
    How recently ?

You do realize that Dvdfab, the free version, is no longer updated for NEW releases for something like 30+ days, only the pay version is updated ASAP.

And if you have the pay version you still need to update it.

Just because you ripped it to the HDD does not mean it was ripped correctly or all the copy protection was removed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I decided to rip a copy of a movie I just bought recently
    How recently ?

You do realize that Dvdfab, the free version, is no longer updated for NEW releases for something like 30+ days, only the pay version is updated ASAP.

And if you have the pay version you still need to update it.

Just because you ripped it to the HDD does not mean it was ripped correctly or all the copy protection was removed.

Hello Noahtuck:

No, I wasn't aware that the free version doesn't update that often as I happen to use the paid version. I have v7.0.5.4 at right this second and was using v.7.0.3.0 when I ripped the disc the first time around (sometimes I forget to update because I don't like to automatically update certain software, I prefer to do it manually). I did re-rip using the latest version which is v7.0.5.5 and have since upgraded to 7.0.6.2 with the same results.

Yes, you could be right that the disc wasn't ripped correctly or that all the copy protection wasn't removed but if that is the case would the movie still play on the computer? Probably, I just don't know. The True Blood disc(disc 1) was kind of scuffed up but hey it was a used set and I only paid 15$ so I wasn't complaining. The other discs in the set were fine and ripped and shrunk with DVD Shrink without any problems. I personally take good care of my dvds and I did clean all the discs when I got them and I also used Maxell's buffering stuff to try and fix some of the scuffed marks. I was so happy that the disc ripped that I never thought that there could still be problems when it came to shrinking it but obviously I was wrong.

Well, I decided to try a little something, I used an old version of DVDFab, version 6 point something (I like to keep some of the old versions just in case). I used the "Customize" feature, you know where you decide what part of the disc you want to rip. Well, I was able to get the episodes (didn't care so much about the previews) the problem was that I could only use the "play" button on episode 1. I know you're probably thinking "Why didn't she use the "Customize" feature on DVDFab 7, well because version 7 wouldn’t open the disc at all for whatever reason and I wanted to get up from the computer while it was still 2010 so I just used the DVDFAb 6 instead.

As a last resort I tried DVD Rebuilder and I was actually able to use DVD Shrink...unforunately, the output file was totally screwy and pixelated in certain parts so that was a bust when all was said and done.

I finally just called my best friend and asked to borrow her True Blood disc one. I am now VERY happy that I have all my discs.

Thank you Baldrick and Noahtuck for your help.
    Quote Quote