VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I have successfully burned BDMV folder on 4.7 GB DVD and PS3 recognizes it but same thing failed when i burn with Sony DVD+R DL 8.5 GB.The PS3 does not reads the double layer disc but when i play it on PC there is no problem.
    Is there anything specific i have to do when i burn to double layer (8.5 GB) disc ? help me.
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most likely just poor media. there is still only one decent dl which is verbatim dvd+r dl.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Sony DVD+R DL 8.5 GB" is poor media.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes your media is bad, but you should also burn with ImgBurn (it's free) for the best chance of success. Other burning programs may not be trustworthy when burning DL media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok i will try with Verbatim but i cannot find one in my country.If i try to buy on ebay which model you recommend for ? any specific model number ?
    I dont want to waste money on this so need your advice please.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    There are only two types of Verbatim double layer dvds that you should consider. Both are +R double layer (do NOT get -R dual layer discs).
    The Verbatim discs that are rated for 2.4-6x are the older style and use the mid code MKM 001. If your dvd burner is more than five years old or so, this might be the better choice. The faster rated Verbatim +R DL is 8x speed and uses the mid code MKM 003. There really isn't much to choose between them.
    If you can find some made in Singapore, those should be the best available.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    There are only two types of Verbatim double layer dvds that you should consider. Both are +R double layer (do NOT get -R dual layer discs).
    The Verbatim discs that are rated for 2.4-6x are the older style and use the mid code MKM 001. If your dvd burner is more than five years old or so, this might be the better choice. The faster rated Verbatim +R DL is 8x speed and uses the mid code MKM 003. There really isn't much to choose between them.
    If you can find some made in Singapore, those should be the best available.
    Ok i will find it on singapore ebay.One more question BD- 5 and BD -9 are actually DVD disks ? or specially made bluray disks ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When someone says BD-5 or BD-9 they are probably talking about shrinking a BD disc or creating a BD structure small enough to fit on a DVD-5 or DVD-9 disc. I tried one of those when I first got a BDRom but only had a DVD writer a couple of years ago. I was surprised that with some tweaking using either BD Rebuilder or Ripbot264 (I can't recall) and patching the Index and movie files the full original menus and videos played on the PS3 on a S/L dvd disc.

I've used Sony S/L successfully but never tried Sony D/L discs so can't comment on your choice. For me Memorex (8x) and Verbatim D/L both work fine on the PS3. It may be the way you created the disc or the burning program. As suggested use ImgBurn. I don't know how you created your AVCHD but if my video file is already the right size for the disc and I don't need a menu I use tsMuxerGui to create a simple non menu AVCHD structure and burn the 2 folders (BDMV and Certificate) to a D/L disc with no problems on the PS3. If I want a home made menu or have multiple videos I want to access from their own separate menu I use MultiAVCHD. I'm no expert with it but that program has some nice features once you get the hang of it.

btw) I've been using "AVCHD Strict" when creating the disc using MultiAVCHD since the PS3 accepts it. It creates some extra folders so I just add them all to the burn folders in ImgBurn. Since I recently bought a BD burner I've also burned that structure on a BD-RE 25GB and BD-R 25GB and they also play well on the PS3.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    When someone says BD-5 or BD-9 they are probably talking about shrinking a BD disc or creating a BD structure small enough to fit on a DVD-5 or DVD-9 disc. I tried one of those when I first got a BDRom but only had a DVD writer a couple of years ago. I was surprised that with some tweaking using either BD Rebuilder or Ripbot264 (I can't recall) and patching the Index and movie files the full original menus and videos played on the PS3 on a S/L dvd disc.

I've used Sony S/L successfully but never tried Sony D/L discs so can't comment on your choice. For me Memorex (8x) and Verbatim D/L both work fine on the PS3. It may be the way you created the disc or the burning program. As suggested use ImgBurn. I don't know how you created your AVCHD but if my video file is already the right size for the disc and I don't need a menu I use tsMuxerGui to create a simple non menu AVCHD structure and burn the 2 folders (BDMV and Certificate) to a D/L disc with no problems on the PS3. If I want a home made menu or have multiple videos I want to access from their own separate menu I use MultiAVCHD. I'm no expert with it but that program has some nice features once you get the hang of it.

btw) I've been using "AVCHD Strict" when creating the disc using MultiAVCHD since the PS3 accepts it. It creates some extra folders so I just add them all to the burn folders in ImgBurn. Since I recently bought a BD burner I've also burned that structure on a BD-RE 25GB and BD-R 25GB and they also play well on the PS3.
    Well.I have created using Multiavchd selecting PS3 option.I think only few people tried it on dual layer.Once i got verbatim i will burn again and post the results if that also fails then i stick DVD 4.7 GB.
    Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mediarays View Post

Ok i will find it on singapore ebay.One more question BD- 5 and BD -9 are actually DVD disks ? or specially made bluray disks ?
    That is a TERRIBLE idea. Why?
    1) There is NOTHING to stop a person in Singapore from selling you Made In India Verbatim DL media. Where the seller lives has NOTHING to do with where what they sell was made. Think about it.
    2) You'll pay extra for shipping if you don't live in the region.
    3) It's just not that hard to find Made In Singapore DL Verbatims. I'll explain.

If you buy the faster Verbatim DVD+R DL discs, the 6x-10x ones, they are ONLY made in Singapore. The slower discs (the ones that top out at 6x and 2x-4x rated discs) are often made in India. The exception is that their DataLifePlus series of ink jet printable DL discs is rated at 2.4x speed but it's ONLY made in Singapore.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by mediarays View Post

That is a TERRIBLE idea. Why?
    1) There is NOTHING to stop a person in Singapore from selling you Made In India Verbatim DL media. Where the seller lives has NOTHING to do with where what they sell was made. Think about it.
    2) You'll pay extra for shipping if you don't live in the region.
    3) It's just not that hard to find Made In Singapore DL Verbatims. I'll explain.

If you buy the faster Verbatim DVD+R DL discs, the 6x-10x ones, they are ONLY made in Singapore. The slower discs (the ones that top out at 6x and 2x-4x rated discs) are often made in India. The exception is that their DataLifePlus series of ink jet printable DL discs is rated at 2.4x speed but it's ONLY made in Singapore.
    So slower ones will also work for this kind of project ? Then it will not be a problem i can buy it in india itself.
    But see i have no idea about these DVD standards i am quite confused thats why i am wandering
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In case of DVD+R DL you should look for "Verbatim DVD+R DL AZO" and they should be either MIS or MIT!
    They are available as 2.4x rated discs (slowest possible speed for +R/DL!) and as 2.4x-8x rated discs.
    In case you can find no +R DL media, you could also buy -R DL media by Verbatim. They are rated 1x-2x and 1x-8x....

DVD+R DL media is called Double Layer media, DVD-R DL is called Dual Layer media.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR_DL

"One more question BD- 5 and BD -9 are actually DVD disks ? or specially made bluray disks ?"

Such formats doesnt exist. Maybe you meant AVCHD data on DVD media?!?

There is however BD25 (BD-R/RE) and BD50 BD-R DL/RE) but there is also BD-R TL and BD-RE TL (100GB) and BD-R QL (128GB).
    Last edited by [_chef_]; 8th Jan 2013 at 07:26.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    mediarays - I give up. You are not understanding what you are being told. It's like this.

Me: Only buy X. Whatever you do, do NOT buy Y. ONLY BUY X!!!!
    You: So you're saying to only buy Y.

I'm done here. Buy whatever the heck you want to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    mediarays - I give up. You are not understanding what you are being told. It's like this.

Me: Only buy X. Whatever you do, do NOT buy Y. ONLY BUY X!!!!
    You: So you're saying to only buy Y.

I'm done here. Buy whatever the heck you want to buy.
    I dont want to disappoint you.Just give me the exact link to verbatim.
    Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mediarays said
    Well.I have created using Multiavchd selecting PS3 option.I think only few people tried it on dual layer.Once i got verbatim i will burn again and post the results if that also fails then i stick DVD 4.7 GB.
    Thanks for the help.
    Did you read this note for the PS3 option in Multiavchd?

Output can be used with Playstation 3 if transferred to any solid state media - USB stick, USB HDD disk, SDHC, MMC or MemoryStick card.
    Why don't you try AVCHD (strict) I know that works.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    mediarays said
    Thanks for the help.
    Did you read this note for the PS3 option in Multiavchd?

Output can be used with Playstation 3 if transferred to any solid state media - USB stick, USB HDD disk, SDHC, MMC or MemoryStick card.
    Why don't you try AVCHD (strict) I know that works.
    Yes you are right.That format only accepted on USB media and not on DVD so i stated i have renamed some files.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Not all MKM 003 are made in Singapore. There have been, and continue to be some produced by Moser Baer in India. And they have been sold under the Verbatim brand, as well as a few others.

At one point, you could get very good quality MKM 003 discs made in UAE by FTI Falcon. The only ones I saw were sold under the Falcon Pro brand however, and I'm not sure they are still available.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

Not all MKM 003 are made in Singapore. There have been, and continue to be some produced by Moser Baer in India. And they have been sold under the Verbatim brand, as well as a few others.

At one point, you could get very good quality MKM 003 discs made in UAE by FTI Falcon. The only ones I saw were sold under the Falcon Pro brand however, and I'm not sure they are still available.
    I have burned it on moser baer first and its also failed so i dont have hope on moser baer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @mediarays, make a local call in your country (which?) to a reputable production company / dub house and just ask them where they get their bulk high-quality disc stock. I doubt they would have a problem letting you know (I know I don't when consumers ask me).

In the US, Rima.com is a good online/catalog supplier. You'll have to see what's available near you. Those that do "bulk" and "printable" rely on error-free, repeat pro business, so many of the brands/formalae are the better quality anyway.

One thing not mentioned, but you have to take into consideration, is that not just the filesize has to be lowered to fit on the disc, but the bitrate has to be lowered to both fit within the AVCHD spec (for DVDs) and to fit within the #x drive speed rating for the playback device chain. So, for example if you had a 1 hour title @ 40Mbps it would fill ~17.58GB of a BD. To get that down to 8.53GB (DVD-DL), you would have the lower the bitrate ~2.1x, giving you a 19Mbps bitrate (btw, this is still too high for AVCHD on DVD spec which maxes out at 18Mbps). But if your drive can ONLY play DVDs at 1x (11Mbps max), it will have continuous buffer problems. Those needing to fit onto a DVD-SL must by necessity lower it down to 9.54Mbps, so that already is within a 1x playspeed.
    Now, most drives won't have this problem as they have been made more recently and probably can do 3x or more (if they are a combo BD/DVD/CD reader/player), but it still pays to take this into consideration.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mediarays said

Yes you are right.That format only accepted on USB media and not on DVD so i stated i have renamed some files.
    This makes little sense! Rather than playing with the avchd structure by renaming files and risking making an error why not just choose the right option that is proven to work in the first place?

Good luck with this. I'm out!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks all for your kind response.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is sony's problem, can u please kindly try those disc with other bluray players, I hope those will work.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi,
    The verbatim DVD+DL 8.5 arrived and i burned using nero and its same story.PS3 cannot recognize.
    I burned at 3x speed with UDF 2.50 partition.So anybody confirm Avchd on DL actually works.If not i can convert on single layer no problem.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

I have NEVER not even ONCE seen the 6x-10x DL discs made in India. EVER.

I stand by what I said and you can stand by yours. Let the readers decide for themselves. I am not a media code geek so perhaps we are not really comparing apples to apples here. And the DataLifePlus DL discs (whatever the hell their media code is) is ALWAYS made in Singapore. Always. NO EXCEPTIONS. So if you are talking about that being made in India, you are dead wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hi,
    Here is an update.I just burned another DVD + R DL Verbatim with nero and this time selecting "no multisession" option and its working perfectly on PS3.
    So i can confirm AVCHD on Dual layer works.
    Thanks for your support.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But did you tried those avchd's with dual layers working with sony bluray players or 3d bluray players.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by addu View Post
    But did you tried those avchd's with dual layers working with sony bluray players or 3d bluray players.
    Sorry friend i dont have any bluray player other than PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

I have NEVER not even ONCE seen the 6x-10x DL discs made in India. EVER.

I stand by what I said and you can stand by yours. Let the readers decide for themselves. I am not a media code geek so perhaps we are not really comparing apples to apples here. And the DataLifePlus DL discs (whatever the hell their media code is) is ALWAYS made in Singapore. Always. NO EXCEPTIONS. So if you are talking about that being made in India, you are dead wrong.
    If you look at what I wrote, it says "Not all MKM 003 discs are made in Singapore." The mid code is used by Moser Baer and sold under a variety of brands, including the Mirex, and Platinum brands and for a while you could also find these discs under the Verbatim brand (these were also designated the "Pearl White" variety). FTI Falcon also produced some MKM 003 discs and sold them under the Falcon Pro brand. All these MKM 003 discs were made using the Mitsubishi technology.

And if you look back through the tests of DL media in various spots over at MyCE, you'l find that MKM 003 discs sold under the Verbatim brand were also being produced in Taiwan.

At one point you could get Verbatim made by FTI Falcon, but I don't remember for certain if that included the MKM 003 discs or just the 16x single layer discs. If you want more definitive information talk to pepst or vroom over at MyCE, since they know the subject better than me.

All it takes is a bit of reading to be informed. Take a quick look through the last four or five pages of this thread: http://club.myce.com/f76/mitsubishi-chemicals-dvd-r-dl-97058/ There is quite a bit more evidence, but it takes more effort to track it down in the various burner threads.
    Quote Quote