VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PC has one disk C ( Windows 7 ) ans a second disk with three partitions. But it happens, many times, the three icons of the partitions disappear in the folder COMPUTER and it only remains the icon C:
    Why this? I must reboot my PC to see and access all the icons of the partition.
    What must I do?

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are each of the partitions named with a letter? Windows has problems when they are not.

You can check their status in 'Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management'
    It should show all drives and their partitions.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CM.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	45376  

Quote Quote  
  3. I have one drive that occasionally disappears when the computer wakes from sleeping. Going to sleep and waking again usually gets it back. Rebooting works too, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Jagabo, that's just what it happens with me. Usually when the PC stays in standby.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Redwudz - The " names " of the partitions are C:, D:, E:,F:
    And when this happens the partitions don't appear in the window you showed me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think it's because the drive is not responding quickly enough when Windows awakens -- so Windows decides it is no longer available.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The 'energy savings' firmware and software on my PC takes a few seconds to access most of my PC HDDs, but I've never lost them requiring a reboot.
    And they always show in my PC menu. I usually leave the PC in 'sleep' mode, but on a regular boot, they always show at once and are accessible.

I'm not sure if the slow access is mostly the firmware on the HDDs or something in the OS.
    They also seem to fall 'asleep' if they aren't accessed regularly.

Maybe check your 'Green' energy saving settings in the OS and try turning them off if possible for a test.

You could also check your motherboards BIOS settings. Maybe no help but worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've seen this kind of thing happen after a warm boot or wakeup, where the polling occurs before the drive can be fully "aware". Happens with HDDs and SSDs. I think it's a timing thing in the BIOS/MOBO, because I notice that some BIOS firmware updates will fix it. Also, if you Cold Boot, it NEVER happens.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may have a bad SATA and/or power connector cable. Change your SATA cable and use another power connector.

Do you only have the two drives (C: and D:, E:, F? Is the C: drive an SSD? Your power supply may be underpowered or failing. Even if the power supply was fine at first, as it ages it may not supply the original rated wattage.

Your HDD may be failing. Run a disk utility like Crystaldiskinfo to check the status of your drive. If it shows anything but GOOD, immediately transfer the data to a new drive.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lingyi - I did what you suggested with Crystaldiskinfo and the health of the two physical disks is GOOD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    redwutz - My OS is Windows 7. Where can I alter the settings of the screen saver?
    Quote Quote