VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was going through some of my old files and came across some old video captures. The attached is the oldest I still have and is from 1997, captured with my Matrox RainbowRunner. I had to cap at 25fps, because I kept losing frames if I tried to go higher.

I had some earlier captures that I deleted that were from 1995-1996 done with the Windows version of Video Spigot. 120x160 @ 15fps! Woot!

Here's the MediaInfo log:

General
    Complete name : Joey Wang\1991_chinese_new_year_01.mpg
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 1.71 MiB
    Duration : 11 s 520 ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Constant
    Overall bit rate : 1 242 kb/s
    Writing library : encoded by avi2mpg1 ver 1.5

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 1
    Format settings : BVOP
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Duration : 11 s 480 ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 089 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 1 065 kb/s
    Width : 320 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.567
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    GOP, Open/Closed of first frame : Closed
    Stream size : 1.49 MiB (87%)
    Writing library : avi2mpg1 1.5

Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Duration : 11 s 520 ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 38.281 FPS (1152 SPF)
    Stream size : 180 KiB (10%)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The .mpg above was my "master" that had to reencoded to .rm for uploading to my first website which had a whopping 5MB of space! Attached is the .rm version.

Visitors were amazed. Wow, you have video! Thank You! LOL!

I just remembered, I had to rotate the handful of videos I had due to lack of webspace. Yep...I was living large back then!

Edit: It can't upload the file as an attachment. Oh well, nothing loss as it's barely watchable anyway.

General
    Complete name : joey wang tsu hsien\joey wang tsu hsien (geocities)\video\91_cny.rm
    Format : RealMedia
    File size : 629 KiB
    Duration : 25 s 356 ms
    Overall bit rate : 200 kb/s
    Movie name : 1991 Chinese New Year Special
    Performer :
    Copyright : ©1998
    Comment : RealEncoder 5.1.0.32 Win95 4.0 1212 Pentium MMX 1 Live = 0 ac = 16 Kbps Music - High Response abw = 16.0 asi = 11025 abi = 8 abo = 16 ach = 1 vc = RealVideo (Standard) vbw = 184.0 opt = 1 qm = 1 es = 100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : RealVideo 1
    Codec ID : RV10
    Codec ID/Info : Based on H.263, Real Player 5
    Duration : 25 s 289 ms
    Bit rate : 184 kb/s
    Width : 240 pixels
    Height : 176 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 15.000 FPS
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.290
    Stream size : 568 KiB (90%)

Audio
    ID : 0
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID : dnet
    Codec ID/Info : Real Player 3
    Duration : 25 s 356 ms
    Bit rate : 16.0 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 11.025 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 49.5 KiB (8%)

Edit 2: I just noticed there's a lot of additional info for an .rm video. Win 95, Pentium MMX, which was 133Mhz. Woot!
    Last edited by lingyi; 26th May 2020 at 10:57.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What is the oldest video capture you have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-EpqisAeWs

OK, you are probably talking about the actual date of the transfer, rather than the date of the material. My earliest captures were with Play Video's "Snappy" product. It debuted in 1995, and I bought one that year after seeing the legendary Kiki Stockhammer demonstrate it at a trade show after Play spun out from Newtek (the company that made the groundbreaking "Video Toaster").

I finally threw out my Snappy last year. I just have too much old stuff that, even though it still works, really has no utility whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahhh..I had the original Snappy too! But that doesn't really count as video capture as it only did video stills. Okay, okay, you could string a bunch of stills and make a short video from it. I forgot it went went up to Version 4.0. I think I got a 2.0 because my original died. AFAIK, it wouldn't work with anything past Win 98, so I tossed it.

Gaahhh..I remember it would take so long to take a cap a single frame!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just remembered. Before I got the Video Spigot, my Compaq Presario that I got in 1994-95 had video capture built it. I don't think it even did 160x120@15fps. 8fps sticks in my mind and the video wasn't 24bit. I think it 8bit with 256 colors!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can not answer the specific question raised. I tended to edit my captures and not keep the original.

If memory serves, I started to capture in 1997 (but it could have been later). It was def a Matrox card and the capture part was an add-on. And the capture was mjpeg. Checking the wiki the G200 comes to mind. I later needed to upgrade due to the AGP bus on the new m/b (that was either a 400 or 450). But even that later Matrox had to go when the later m/bs did not support AGP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Media Composer mjpegA MOVs from 94-95. Was pretty amazing what we thought it could do in those days.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I can not answer the specific question raised. I tended to edit my captures and not keep the original.

If memory serves, I started to capture in 1997 (but it could have been later). It was def a Matrox card and the capture part was an add-on. And the capture was mjpeg. Checking the wiki the G200 comes to mind. I later needed to upgrade due to the AGP bus on the new m/b (that was either a 400 or 450). But even that later Matrox had to go when the later m/bs did not support AGP.
    The add on card was the Rainbow Runner, which is what I had. It plugged unto the video card, Matrox Mystique. There was a separate tuner, the Rainbow Runner TV that plugged into another slot, but had a cable to plug into the Mystique. I had both. Ahh, the memories!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    My first capture device ever was the Edirol VMC-1, I captured my cousin's wedding from 1993 and mine in 2000 which both were VHS PAL tapes, But when I got into NTSC DV wasn't good enough so had to switch gear and sold my beloved VMC-1. But as far as pre- recorded tapes I captured some 60's video tapes. But the title should have been more clear if by the oldest you mean the time the capture took place or the age of the contents captured?
    Quote Quote