VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Thread necromancy department...This is kind of a forlorn hope, but I'm wondering if there has been any movement on this subject over the past 8-1/2 years?

I have been capturing off my Mitsu HS-HD2000U using S-Video to my Hauppage capture card, but if it were possible to eliminate losses by using FireWire, I would. Any custom drivers out there that anyone knows of? I'm also possibly considering a Sony GV-D200 or -D800 to capture 8mm video...how compatible is that with FireWire on a PC?

Truthfully, my source material is consumer-grade reused VHS tapes from the '80s, mostly recorded on a stock GE camcorder or else a low-end VCR. So I'm not expecting any great improvement in quality. (My family and friends are thrilled at the quality I'm getting now from S-Video). Still, I'd like to be able to work at whatever quality level the source will support. Any ideas?
    --------Eric H. Bowen; USN Battleship Veteran (USS Missouri, BB-63, 1985-88)
    16" Armor Piercing - When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unfortunately no. I own three of these VCRs (two in use for capture, one backup still sealed in box). The FireWire connection is very specifically locked to a handful of compatible decoder boxes and a couple Mitsubishi TVs that were discontinued ten years ago. The 2000 won't communicate with generic PCs or capture hardware. I believe some of the JVC DVHS models can be used for direct FireWire capture, due their more elaborate digital/analog system. But the simplified Mitsu interface was proprietary and limited.
    Quote Quote  
  3. About what I figured. Oh, well. Wish I knew more about hardware and writing drivers. At least the S-video quality I'm getting from the VCR is quite good.
    --------Eric H. Bowen; USN Battleship Veteran (USS Missouri, BB-63, 1985-88)
    16" Armor Piercing - When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
    Quote Quote