Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.574
    Time code of first frame : 00:59:59;00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    Stream size : 1.01 GiB (90%)
    Language : English
    Default : No
    Forced : No

i want to encode this so i would have to deinterlace 1st right?

How to deinterlace with Vapoursynth?

also can anybody explain to me whats the difference between interlaced and interleaved

Scan type : MBAFF
    Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
    Scan order : Top Field First

do i need to de interlace in this case?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ACKR View Post

Maybe, maybe not. Post a sample cut directly from the DVD using DGIndex. The information you already provided is pretty much useless.

Any questions you ask about how to treat a video should be accompanied by samples.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by ACKR View Post

Maybe, maybe not. Post a sample cut directly from the DVD using DGIndex. The information you already provided is pretty much useless.

Any questions you ask about how to treat a video should be accompanied by samples.
    ok can you tell me about the interleaved fields case that is from a blu ray and not a dvd

also i have already made a mkv file from dvd so can i just take screenshot?
    Last edited by ACKR; 28th May 2020 at 00:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also, with
    i want to encode this
    you don't mention the target.
    for example, chromecast devices won't play interlaced video and could be finicky with some hevc.

Perhaps ffmpeg with it's inbuilt yadif fiiter could do it for you and automatically handle decoding of interlacing etc.
    If you wanted, you could also apply some sharpening at the same time.
    Vapoursynth would do something for you eg with QTGMC filter or something.

It's interesting that you report a DVD source with
    Scan type : Interlaced
    as in PAL countries it's almost always BFF.

If you want an example commandline, and yes it suits me not everyone and is just an example of what you could consider,
    All on one line:
    Code:
    "C:\ffmpeg-x64\ffmpeg.exe" -v verbose -nostats -init_hw_device opencl=ocl:0.0 -filter_hw_device ocl 
    -i "input-file.mpg" 
    -map_metadata -1 -vsync 0 
    -sws_flags lanczos+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int+full_chroma_inp -filter_complex 
    "[0:v]yadif=0:0:0,hwupload,unsharp_opencl=lx=3:ly=3:la=0.5:cx=3:cy=3:ca=0.5,hwdownload,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p" 
    -strict experimental -c:v h264_nvenc -pix_fmt nv12 -preset slow -bf 2 -g 50 -refs 3 -rc:v vbr_hq -rc-lookahead:v 32 -cq 22 -qmin 16 -qmax 25 -coder 1 
    -movflags +faststart+write_colr -profile:v high -level 5.1 -c:a libfdk_aac -cutoff 18000 -ab 384k -ar 48000  
    -y "output-file.mp4"
    This uses yadif to deinterlace then OpenCL version of unsharp to sharpen it very slightly (eg if you have a reasonable nvidia card) and nvidia's nvenc h.264 hardware encoder.
    The resulting .mp4 is chromecast-compatible.

Note that a lot of people hate nvenc, however it provides incredible encoding speeds (150-400 fps, depending on source eg 720i/1080i) and is generally "good enough" for non-videophile home viewing.

There's also DG's tools (including deinterlacer; manono mentioned dgindex which is one of DG tools) which can be used in avisynth and vapoursynth with output fed into an encoder.
    There's also the fantastic nvencc tool which can do really nice things and offers deinterlacers (deinterlacer quality unknown).
    Last edited by hydra3333; 28th May 2020 at 00:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With interlaced vs interleaved, your DVD is mpeg2 ... yet later you show mbaff which is associated with h.264.
    Recommend you google them.

Also,
    http://www.mir.com/DMG/interl.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    also, with
    i want to encode this
    you don't mention the target.
    for example, chromecast devices won't play interlaced video and could be finicky with some hevc.

Perhaps ffmpeg with it's inbuilt yadif fiiter could do it for you and automatically handle decoding of interlacing etc.
    If you wanted, you could also apply some sharpening at the same time.
    Vapoursynth would do something for you eg with QTGMC filter or something.

It's interesting that you report a DVD source with
    Scan type : Interlaced
    as in PAL countries it's almost always BFF.

If you want an example commandline, and yes it suits me not everyone and is just an example of what you could consider,
    All on one line:
    Code:
    "C:\ffmpeg-x64\ffmpeg.exe" -v verbose -nostats -init_hw_device opencl=ocl:0.0 -filter_hw_device ocl 
    -i "input-file.mpg" 
    -map_metadata -1 -vsync 0 
    -sws_flags lanczos+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int+full_chroma_inp -filter_complex 
    "[0:v]yadif=0:0:0,hwupload,unsharp_opencl=lx=3:ly=3:la=0.5:cx=3:cy=3:ca=0.5,hwdownload,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p" 
    -strict experimental -c:v h264_nvenc -pix_fmt nv12 -preset slow -bf 2 -g 50 -refs 3 -rc:v vbr_hq -rc-lookahead:v 32 -cq 22 -qmin 16 -qmax 25 -coder 1 
    -movflags +faststart+write_colr -profile:v high -level 5.1 -c:a libfdk_aac -cutoff 18000 -ab 384k -ar 48000  
    -y "output-file.mp4"
    This uses yadif to deinterlace then OpenCL version of unsharp to sharpen it very slightly (eg if you have a reasonable nvidia card) and nvidia's nvenc h.264 hardware encoder.
    The resulting .mp4 is chromecast-compatible.

Note that a lot of people hate nvenc, however it provides incredible encoding speeds (150-400 fps, depending on source eg 720i/1080i) and is generally "good enough" for non-videophile home viewing.

There's also DG's tools (including deinterlacer; manono mentioned dgindex which is one of DG tools) which can be used in avisynth and vapoursynth with output fed into an encoder.
    There's also the fantastic nvencc tool which can do really nice things and offers deinterlacers (deinterlacer quality unknown).

I want to watch it on my laptop. i plan to encode it to x265. also is yadif better than qtgmc? i want whatever is faster also the server i encode on doesn't have opencl support so i would like a plugin without opencl

also what does this mean(Bluray)

i played the video and checked in vsedit and i don't see any evidence of interlacing

Edit:regarding the dvd it is definitely interlaced
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also is yadif better than qtgmc?
    No, not by a long shot.

i want whatever is faster also the server i encode on doesn't have opencl support so i would like a plugin without opencl
    Perhaps non-OpenCL unsharp mask, or whatever you prefer in vapoursynth/avisynth/nnvencc/ffmpeg etc

see top result: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+mbaff

i played the video and checked in vsedit and i don't see any evidence of interlacing
    OK, you're vapoursynth aware, then. If you're running vsedit you're nearly there.
    I suppose it could be Progressive wrapped up with interlace flags a required by DVD specs ?
    If that's the case you do not need to deinterlace, simply assume frame based.

It is actually interlaced, or is it just flagged as such ?

Ah. Since you're in NTSC land, I'm not game to go further (telecine etc) so the rest is up to you and others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PS give manono samples.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    also is yadif better than qtgmc?
    No, not by a long shot.

i want whatever is faster also the server i encode on doesn't have opencl support so i would like a plugin without opencl
    Perhaps non-OpenCL unsharp mask, or whatever you prefer in vapoursynth/avisynth/nnvencc/ffmpeg etc

see top result: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+mbaff

OK, you're vapoursynth aware, then. If you're running vsedit you're nearly there.
    I suppose it could be Progressive wrapped up with interlace flags a required by DVD specs ?
    If that's the case you do not need to deinterlace, simply assume frame based.

It is actually interlaced, or is it just flagged as such ?

Ah. Since you're in NTSC land, I'm not game to go further (telecine etc) so the rest is up to you and others.

its actually interlaced i managed to deinterlace it with qtgmc but now i have video with 59 fps?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ACKR View Post
    also i have already made a mkv file from dvd so can i just take screenshot?
    No.
    Quote Quote