VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

My situation is the Windows 7 64 bit PC used for the Internet, I can Not install any apps but can use any software that runs but does Not install (portable Windows apps).

I mistakenly left this info out in my previous post "PBS Video MP4 DownLoad Win App Recommendations?" https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393231-PBS-Video-MP4-DownLoad-Win-App-Recommendations and apologize for this oversight.

So not to totally confuse everyone would like to start over.

From testing various apps, if it needs adm rts or its helper will Not work!

So entire package must be portable.

Hope there is something like this and appreciate your recommendations!!!

Thanks

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  2. jagabo,

Thanks for the link Downloaded and tried to run 1st got security alert and when ran just flashed on screen and then disappeared.

Screen
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Security Warning No Valid Digital Signature.png
Views:	147
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	49149  

Quote Quote  
  3. With your knowledge in this area, it’s best to start with youtube-dl GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Average video editor Sviests's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KenithOlson View Post
    jagabo,

Thanks for the link Downloaded and tried to run 1st got security alert and when ran just flashed on screen and then disappeared.

Screen
    You're not suppose to open those .exe files. You're suppose to open a Command Prompt (aka CMD) in the folder where the youtube-dl.exe is located.
    In that folder with youtube-dl-exe press right click while holding shift key and select "open command prompt here" . then just copy paste the command given you in the other thread.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sviests,

Many Thanks for your detailed comments!!!! I followed your instructions "You're suppose to open a Command Prompt (aka CMD) in the folder where the youtube-dl.exe is located.
    In that folder with youtube-dl-exe press right click while holding shift key and select "open command prompt here" . then just copy paste the command given you in the other thread." but do not have "open command prompt here" Tried to capture this screen with FastStone Capture v9.0 but was unable. If you know of an app that can do this please tell me and will try again. At least now know what the problem is!

Am wondering if this is causing the problem with youtube-dl GUI?

Did check https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ and found youtube-dl-gui-0.4-win-portable. Tried and opened OK. Then used same PBS url https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supreme-revenge/ at 1st did nothing so thought failed then after a few moments started to dl. After dl noticed 2 files later only 1.

Tried to play beginning and end OK. Was very surprised by file size 2.52 GB for 54:47 minutes!

Beginners Question: Why does FRONTLINE - Supreme Revenge.temp have .temp?

Many thanks again to everyone! at least now have 1 successful PBS dl!

Ken
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Orig ytdl04 screen.png
Views:	123
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	49154  

Click image for larger version

Name:	add PBS url.png
Views:	96
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	49155  

Name:	add & nothing.png
Views:	111
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	49156  

Name:	add & half dl.png
Views:	122
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	49157  

Name:	add & full dl.png
Views:	112
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	49158  

Name:	2 Frontline Sup Rev.png
Views:	138
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	49159  

Name:	Frontline SR complete temp.png
Views:	137
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	49160  

Name:	Frontline SR start.png
Views:	111
Size:	859.5 KB
ID:	49161  

Name:	Frontline SR end.png
Views:	144
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	49162  

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by KenithOlson View Post
    Beginners Question: Why does FRONTLINE - Supreme Revenge.temp have .temp?
    Because the video is streamed as many small segments (files). The one that's currently downloading is saved as .temp. When it's done downloading youtube-dl appends the new segment to the mp4 video it's building. Then the .temp file is deleted and the next segment is downloaded.
    Quote Quote  
  7. jagabo,

"Because the video is streamed as many small segments (files). The one that's currently downloading is saved as .temp. When it's done downloading youtube-dl appends the new segment to the mp4 video it's building. Then the .temp file is deleted"

Thanks for the explanation. Seems something happened that .temp on complete file was not deleted. Seems to play OK so minor and can be changed.

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  8. LZAA,

Thanks again for your help!!!

"With your knowledge in this area, it’s best to start with youtube-dl GUI." You are Very Diplomatic!!! Should be ....Complete Lack of Knowledge... but this does Not mean I do Not want to learn.

Did a quick search of YT videos and would appreciate any suggestions concerning what more experienced users consider the best!

In Fact, would like to be an Alpha/Beta Tester for youtube-dl gui. After all if I can do it, everyone else can!

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KenithOlson View Post
    Was very surprised by file size 2.52 GB for 54:47 minutes!
    The 1080p quality is more than twice the size of the 720p quality.

If the 720p quality is sufficient, it can be downloaded without installing anything, from information in the source of the page.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You don't have to download apps, right? Online download and transferring are more practical.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi ponens,

"The 1080p quality is more than twice the size of the 720p quality." Agree Plus these 1080p videos do not seem as heavily compressed as most I have dl from YouTube.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi PepijnSplin,

"Online download and transferring are more practical." Any suggestions for ones that can dl PBS videos?
    Quote Quote