VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which Video editor do you use the most?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by ashtones
    Do those free apps offer the same features as the store bought ones or just simple cut edits?
    You can do far more than simple cut edits with AviSynth but it is a scripting tool. Therefore it is not particularly user friendly, and has a high learning curve. There are many script segments available to accomplish much of the same effects available in high end NLEs, and it has the capability to create reusable functions that can be referenced from smaller, more manageable scripts so that novels don't have to be written. I would be interesting in knowing what the high end NLEs can do that AviSynth can't. In fact, I'd like to know what AviSynth can't do.

Having said that, I sometimes return to VS6 to do some transitions and titleing, not because AviSynth can't do it, but because it's easier with a direct gui manipulation.

For the video editing that I do, I can't justify spending any money on an editor when the free one does everything I want and more.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This great guy wrote this guide that I use:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=225951

It just uses VirtualDubMod and AviSynth.

When it comes to editing MPEG videos I have both VideoReDo and MPEG-VCR although of the two I like MPEG-VCR better.

I have VEGAS 6 but only got it recently and haven't had the time to invest in it although for most applications it appears to be overkill unless you are working from camcorder footage and trying to create your own video or movie etc.

I mostly just edit TV shows I capture so as to cut out the ads etc.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Im curious. What kind of ediying is being done with these free apps? Stuff like cutting comercials out and stuff like that? I am a hobbiest and some of the stuff I do Adobe chokes on.
    Quote Quote  
  4. My entry in the 2005 Short Film Contest was edited in AviSynth.
    A few other things I use AviSynth for:
    I capture TV episodes through my DV camcorder and edit commercials. Basic cuts and white/black level adjustments.
    I also use it to create background stills with music for making DVD menus in TDA.
    I've also been experimenting with doing Chroma-Key (green screen) effects.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub. I just need to chop commercials and trim Camtasia rips. No program does it better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This thread should be renamed "Video Editors Through the Years"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    For AVI, Adobe Premiere 6.5 with Procoder 2 as the encoder.
    For MPEG, Womble MPEG VCR or Womble MPEG Video Wizard.

pchan, for DV, I suggest WinDV freeware for DV transfer.
    In the past 5 years, this has changed very little.

For AVI, Adobe Premiere CS3 with MainConcept Reference as the encoder.
    For MPEG, Womble MPEG VCR or Womble MPEG Video Wizard.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Other: Mostly Avisynth, occasionally Avidemux, VirtualDub. MPEG-VCR for MPEG.

Originally Posted by ashtones View Post
    Im curious. What kind of ediying is being done with these free apps? Stuff like cutting comercials out and stuff like that? I am a hobbiest and some of the stuff I do Adobe chokes on.
    Avisynth -- Resize, resample and overdub audio; filter scratches, dirt and static, sharpen, remove logos, crop, trim and combine segments ....
    Last edited by AlanHK; 11th Aug 2010 at 02:51.
    Quote Quote  
  9. joshrockman
    Search Comp PM
    Where are all the AVID people??? I wouldn't use anything else!! Just about to upgrade my Media Composer to 5.0
    Quote Quote  
  10. I use Final Cut Pro (2009) and to a far less extent Premiere Pro, which I'm about to upgrade when I move from CS3 to CS5. From what I understand the 2009 release of Final Cut Studio is supposedly a stop-gap that was released while Apple continued to rewrite the program from the ground up to include native 64-bit support and several other features. Remember, Final Cut Studio 2009 came out prior to OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Quicktime X, and Apple supposedly wanted to release Quicktime X and Snow Leopard before releasing the 64-bit version of Final Cut Studio. Theoretically, they could push 64-bit support they way that they did for Logic (their professional audio editing application,) in a software update, but I think that if they were going to go that route, such an update would have already been released.
    Specs: Mac Mini (Early 2006): 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo CPU, 320GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics card, Matshita UJ-846 Superdrive, Mac OS X 10.5.7 and various peripherals. System runs Final Cut Express 3.5 for editing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Edius - no contest for PC, IMHO.
    Don't know about Mac - managed to remain uninfected - sorry, unaffected! -- by Apple so far.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Edius' little brother, Neo 2.5 (neo 2 "booster") -$200
    AVISynth - $0
    HCEnc - $0
    multiAVCHD - $0

I praise it every time someone asks....neo 2.5 is lightweight yet has all the features I would ever need. I was able to edit 2 17mbps 1080/60i AVCHD layers with color correction/opacity filters/etc. and it runs like a dream.

AVISynth and HCEnc produced the most beautiful MPEG2 from aforementioned AVCHD I ever had any part in.
    Quote Quote  
  13. AvsP and Avisynth.
    Tutorial here!
    Last edited by tin2tin; 8th Sep 2010 at 01:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Vegas 5, I'm still on my first version - never needed to upgrade. I encode with Procoder 1.5, never needed to upgrade that either. Tmpgenc for authoring simple DVDs, Sony DVD-A for more complex DVDs.

Final Cut Pro on a Mac G5 for HDV footage using Prores codec

I much prefer CD-R and DVD-R dupes on PC with Nero 6 than any Mac app. Nero seems to be really good in spite of what was said about them back in 2002 about DVD burning.
    Last edited by hiptune; 4th Oct 2010 at 16:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AviSynth+CCE
    Womble MVW for mpeg cut/join/sync tasks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I too don't think much has changed with me in years. But I should use AviSynth more for editing other than something only for setting up an encode.

Depends what I'm editing:

Simple MPEG edits:
    TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, VideoReDo TVSuite

More complex MPEG edits:
    Womble MPEG Video Wizard

Simple DV edits:
    VirtualDubMod

More complex DV edits:
    VideoStudio

Simple DivX/Xvid edits:
    VirtualDubMod

More complex DivX/Xvid edits (new in recent years ):
    VirtualDub with Smart Rendering

Simple and more complex WMV edits:
    WMM

Simple H.264 edits (depending on how little pain):
    AviDemux
    MKVMerge
    MP4Box

More complex H.264 edits :
    Forget it - nothing short of AviSynth and a full re-encode, or a transfer over to CineForm and VideoStudio, can produce any decent results for me here.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I mostly use the free version of NCH Videopad. For simple projects I'd like to get done quickly I use Windows Movie Maker.
    Quote Quote