VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was just watching the out of print Pioneer special edition of BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR and noticed that it has fullscreen and 4:3 widescreen versions of both the R and unrated editions (on separate sides). There are not four encodes. Rather, the theatrical matte is added using the subtitle function (as such, the matte disappears during fast forwarding and advancing to the next chapter). The Dutch 4:3 DVD of the horror film STAGE FRIGHT also apparently has this matting option.

I was curious as to how this is done (can it be done in Avisynth) and what other non-text things can be done on DVD using subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SVCD, DVD, and BluRay subtitles are actually composed of pictures, so ANY picture element can be made use of.

I have personally seen or worked on/created:

1. 30fps animated motion subtitles, with characters running/dancing
    2. Don Madden "circle the plays with a red/yellow marker" type of sports highlighting
    3. "Follow the bouncing ball" on a musical staff overlay that scrolls in realtime
    4. Keyhole or "Telescope/binocular view" blinders for highlighting
    5. FAKE Letterboxing and Pillarboxing (like you mentioned)-Including MST3K
    6. Partial tranparency dimming to "vignette" a character in a mystery play

And that's not even counting the stuff you can do combining this with menu button selection (OVER VIDEO!).
    Remember "follow the white rabbit?"

Have fun...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see programs that convert text to subtitles - what programs convert images to subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat
    I see programs that convert text to subtitles - what programs convert images to subtitles?
    Spumux
    http://nfs.shawnfumo.com/wiki/DVDAuthor/Spumux
    But it's not very user-friendly.

Otherwise, DVDSubedit lets you edit subtitles graphically.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Originally Posted by sambat
    Spumux
    http://nfs.shawnfumo.com/wiki/DVDAuthor/Spumux
    But it's not very user-friendly.

Otherwise, DVDSubedit lets you edit subtitles graphically.
    Thank you for the links.

No argument about Spumux..

I found that DVDSubEdit generates an error when trying to import a modified pic - the substance being that there isn't enough room to accommodate it.

I think I shall drop the idea, I assumed that it was simpler than it now appears.
    Quote Quote