VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simple question which do you think is better. I have a sony Digital 8 which I really like, but I am about to buy a camcorder for the high school I teach at to teach a digital movie making class. So I might be able to spend a little more than I would on myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A Digital8 is great if you need to use older Hi8 tapes. If not then go with the DV standard tape system. If I'm not mistaken both use the DV25 format when recording in digital.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you want the latest technology and willing to spend a few more $$ then get the MiniDV. Digital8 cameras are great but don't have all the bells and whistles that the new MiniDV models have. Some of the newest miniDV cams can take stills that are >3megapixels with multiple CCD's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I agree. MiniDV is the standard. Digital8 is cheaper.

later

PRO
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the quality is much better with miniDV compared to the digital8. the backward compatibility for digital8s are great tho.
    Quote Quote  
  6. some would argue on whether the quality is the same; they are both digital. Digital8 is Sony's proprietory recorder. I own teh TRV120 and like it. If I could do it again, I would probably buy a dv recorder (the sony TRV 22). Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  7. MiniDV and D8 should provide identical performance with ideal tapes. In reality D8 tapes vary considerably whereas MiniDV tapes are generally excellent. Additionaly D8 is transitional format and is not widely supported. MiniDV is what you want to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. miniDV quality is better than D8 ??? I am not so sure. If you capture miniDV or D8 into a PC, don't you end up with a DV AVI file which is the result of a tape to HDD copy ?
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  9. The quality of the tape medium is the differentiator in my opinion. I have encountered lots of crap D8 tapes but very few bad MiniDV tapes. The data stream (AFAIK) is identical.
    Quote Quote