VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Have HP dvd1040e (external) USB Cd/DVD drive. WinXP see it, loads 2001 dated WinXP device driver.
    Drive works fine to burn CD or DVDs. But none of the software sees the Lightscribe function, with support in said software. Tried Nero, Roxio, Simple Labeling. Looked at HP site but could not find device driver. Is there one?
    Any other ideas to get Lightscribe turned on (yes the media is lightscibe disc)?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you need to download the lightscribe system software.

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/index.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot to mention I also have Lightscribe Control Panel installed/running. Under the systems info tab it says -no lighscribe drives installed -
    Yet MB bios shows drive, WinXP shows drive, Nero,etc will burn to drive. But it just won't find/use the lightscribe function.

Thanks

[/img]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what version of nero are you using? i believe the last nero 6.6.0.18 version is the one that works with lightscribe technologoy. Also roxio and nero installed on the same computer will sometimes/most of the time cause sofware conflicts. i suggest you uninstalled nero then use the nero clean tool. then reinstall nero again. you can download the nero clean tool from the nero website. don't install the INCD of nero.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will try Nero clean, but if the Lightscribe Control Panel does not see the lightscribe function, nothing else should..ie Nero, etc. Am running Nero 7 btw.

Thanks much
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is screen cap of tool msg.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried the daignostic tool from the link budz provided above? http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/Windows/index.aspx?id=1106
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    KK,

The screen cap above is from the diagnostic tool.
    I think it is a HP driver issue, and I can't find one on HP's web site.
    Left 2 msgs on HP web site, no answer yet, oh well... they will lose a customer.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you uninstall roxio and use the nero clean tool? fyi HP doesn't even manufacture their dvd burners. they use rebadged drives and just stick their HP name on them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all,

I got the 'other' tool on the Lightscribe webpage. Ran it, it updated a registry enty and after a re-boot I had lift off.
    Lightscribe now works. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    good to hear you got the lightscribe working now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jw

I have exactly the same problem . What is the 'other tool' that you mention? I cannot see it anywhere on the site.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Budz but neither seems to help. Waiting for Samsung now. Wondering if I have a wrongly labelled drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wysiwyg20
    Thanks Budz but neither seems to help. Waiting for Samsung now. Wondering if I have a wrongly labelled drive?
    What is the model of that SAMSUNG drive that you have?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Budz, Popped that in another thread. The label reads SH-S203B/BEBN.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to have hijacked this thread

I have just tried Surething lightscribe software with the same result. Beginning to think I have been sold up the swanny
    Quote Quote  
  17. Cool. I'll try that Lightscribe Diagnostic.

Compared to Labelflash, Lightscribe is a nightmare. Labelflash doesn't require any driver software - just that the labelling software (ie. Nero) supports it. No need to jump through hoops to get it work. Now if only it can Disc T@2 CDRs ...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Forgot ...

Thanks for the tip on that Lightscribe Diagnostic. It did the trick. After doing a bit of research after using that, I found that it was a simple registry setting:

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "allocatecdroms"="0"
    Allocatecdroms was set to 1, originally, and no Lightscribe drives were detected. Changing it to 0 solves the problem (which is what the Diagnostic software does).

If anyone is having problems, they can try changing that value first, or copy/paste above code in a text file and rename it to a .reg file. Double-click to import.

What "allocatedcdroms" is for, I have no idea.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Samsung Lightscribe worked ok for a couple of weeks and now it can't burn a lightscribe picture.

Have downloaded the two files on here and run them but still it can't read the centre of the disc to recognise it as a lightscribe disc!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fiftiesfury
    My Samsung Lightscribe worked ok for a couple of weeks and now it can't burn a lightscribe picture.
    I'm having similar problems with a fairly new drive. CD and DVD burning are fine though. After reading some posts here about burning Lightscribe images twice to improve contrast (I never did that in 2+ years of using Lightscribe as I didn't know it was possible), I did that and got a great label and since then I've not been able to burn any Lightscribe correctly. By any chance did you try burning a disc twice to get a darker burn? That might be the problem.

In my case, my drive may be under warranty so I may be able to get a new one. I'll have to check. I can't personally recommend burning discs twice to improve the contrast, at least not with a Samsung made drive.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never burnt a disc twice, didn't know you could..
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fiftiesfury
    Never burnt a disc twice, didn't know you could..
    Me either, but I read about it here in the forums. Based on my experience, I don't think I'll be trying to do that again, although many people claim it worked fine for them. Maybe none of them had Samsung made burners. By the way, do note that the official Lightscribe website does NOT advise burning twice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the lightscribe site doesn't say NOT to burn twice. one of the suggestions says you can burn twice or more if you wish.

>>If you would like to add something new to an already-burned LightScribe label, you can. Create your new design and burn the same disc again. It will be correctly aligned with existing titles and images.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote