VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, i'm hopping someone can help! For the last 2 months I have searched to try and fix this problem I have. First a little background in the situation. The video was given to us by our wedding videographer, since handing me the video he has vanished and disappeared, I have searched very hard for him with no luck, hence I come to you guys.

When ever I play my wedding video which is split in two files I can hear the audio, but get a black screen for the video. I have tried every player out there (VLC, Quicktime, Windows media player to name a few) all play sound but no video. I have downloaded multiple codecs as different threads and forums suggested but no luck.

Attached are the video details:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	292
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	33168

If anyone can help they would be doing me and the wife a massive favour and I would be most grateful.

Thanks Guys,
    Tesh
    Quote Quote  
  2. looks like regular NTSC DV avi, hardware players would not play it, but software players should

or load that video into VirtualDub, mark in and out, like 5 seconds or so, set Video/Direct stream copy, Audio/Direct Stream Copy and File/Save As Avi,
    post that sample
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Al, i have attached the 5 second clip as requested. If it help virtual dub also plays the sound fine but no video. I'm guessing video data exists by the bit rate info attached to the file.

Could it be that he has used some special camera which uses a specific codec?

Thanks.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    any one had any luck with the video?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yup, it's black with audio. All this really proves is that your computer is not rendering the video. I would have to examine the original AVI before concluding that it contains nothing but black frames.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm afraid the video is black. DV video has constant bitrate, so if there was black rendered (exported) or live video, you'd get same datarate, bitrate. He rendered black video for you.

I renamed it to txt, loaded that into Notepad++ and I got lots of NUL readings, .... trying wordpad I got a pattern repeating all over, in real live video that would be more random in both cases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here try this to make a sample from the original files. it will copy a piece. try it on both files and upload the samples.
    Image Attached Files
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is that makesample.exe suppose to work with avi files? It is set default for mpg and I quick tested it with DVavi, it did not work.

Also Sony Vegas renders that video to DVavi, with "no re-compression required" message, making same copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Regardless of whether you have blank video or not, the videographer stupidly set the recording to NTSC when for UK it should have been PAL. Doesn't bode well...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    never tested it with DVavi but it should work. closest i tried was huffyuv and it works fine with that. you just need to change the mpg to all files.

edit
    just tested it with a ntsc DVavi and it works fine
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Regardless of whether you have blank video or not, the videographer stupidly set the recording to NTSC when for UK it should have been PAL. Doesn't bode well...

Scott
    I have this horrible feeling that a lense cap was involved...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yea. No wonder he's making himself scarce.

Scott
    Quote Quote