VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a .mdk video file and i converted it with River Past to .avi (xvid) but now it doesn't have the subtitles.

I tried ripping the subtitle from the original .mdk file but, virtual dub doesn't do any neither does any program that i've found.

Any help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mdk?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean .mkv? I've never heard of an .mdk video file. The River Past Video Cleaner page in VideoHelp's Tools section also doesn't mention an .mdk format, as far as I saw.

I did notice this in the changelog, though:

6.8 11/17/2005
    * [New] (Video Cleaner Pro) Overlay subtitles if VobSub is installed.
    Do you have VobSub installed?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OOps yeah, mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Thank you so much, worked perfectly!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another thing,

The video doesn't work on my philips dvd player. So I converted it into the different formats, and it still freezes at like at 00:05, i press the menu thing, exit menu, now it's frozen at another time.

Any help? The video doesnt work on the dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bumpity bump
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which Philips player are you using? The 642, which I have, is a bit picky about the AVI formats you can use with it; I'm not sure about the newer Philips players. Run the problem AVI in question through GSpot (preferably the 2.5 beta, not the 2.1.x or 2.2x versions) or a similar utility (MediaInfo (if I remember correctly), AVI2Clipboard, etc.) and post screenshots of the resulting information (or in AVI2Clipboard's case, just paste the information into a post). Erase the information about the filename and file path, if you prefer. That way, we'll be able to see if the AVI has something that your player doesn't like.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Which Philips player are you using? The 642, which I have, is a bit picky about the AVI formats you can use with it; I'm not sure about the newer Philips players. Run the problem AVI in question through GSpot (preferably the 2.5 beta, not the 2.1.x or 2.2x versions) or a similar utility (MediaInfo (if I remember correctly), AVI2Clipboard, etc.) and post screenshots of the resulting information (or in AVI2Clipboard's case, just paste the information into a post). Erase the information about the filename and file path, if you prefer. That way, we'll be able to see if the AVI has something that your player doesn't like.
    Great Idea.

This is the picture of the converted one, on Gspot:

This is the picture of the original MKV file, on MediaInfo:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install the GSpot 2.52 beta. It'll show more information about the file than 2.21.

One thing that I can see about the AVI that might cause problems is that the video appears to use uncompressed PCM audio. I'm not sure, but I think most stand-alone DVD players only allow for MP3 audio streams in a DivX/XVid file (if the player can play them, of course ).

Recompress the audio using VirtualDub, or something similar. (Set Compression under the Video menu to "Direct Stream Copy" so that it doesn't recompress the video.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Install the GSpot 2.52 beta. It'll show more information about the file than 2.21.

One thing that I can see about the AVI that might cause problems is that the video appears to use uncompressed PCM audio. I'm not sure, but I think most stand-alone DVD players only allow for MP3 audio streams in a DivX/XVid file (if the player can play them, of course ).

Recompress the audio using VirtualDub, or something similar. (Set Compression under the Video menu to "Direct Stream Copy" so that it doesn't recompress the video.)
    Doh! I found out I was converting it wrong, I didn't have to put the MVK option in the alltoavi program.

Anywho, the video and audio is great, but the subtitles are messed up, it's missing subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually the subtitles are not messed up. I just can't see the next sentence in the subtitles (the lower part of the video).

I probably can on my bigscreen tv, as it usually shows the subtitles with only a bit cut off that's not even annoying.

But i'm viewing the video on my 27' inch tv, any help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem you're experiencing is called 'overscan.' All TVs (excluding hi-def TVs, I think) have this 'problem' to some extent (it's actually an intentional design), varying from TV to TV.

I don't know if there's a solution that will work directly with alltoavi. Search the forums for the word 'overscan', and you'll see the suggested methods of creating DVD video to compensate for overscan. Most common is reencoding the video with a black border on all four sides, so that the actual picture fits more into the 'safe zone' (advanced authoring programs will refer to that area using terms like that).
    Quote Quote