VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Praying some genius can help me troubleshoot this...

I'm trying to capture VHS, sending the signal to my computer via an EzCap type capture card. To be precise, it's an 'Easy-Link USB Video Capture Card AVC08' (by a company called 'Vtop' I think).

The video signal on the computer's end is stuttering and jumpy, kind of jumping forward and back rapidly. The audio sounds fine though. This is happening in the live play back and the video once I've captured it.

I've used this capture card on my old Macbook pro, and it didn't have this problem, so I'm guessing it might be a driver issue with windows 11.

Here are things i've tried to do to fix it, and more specifics on the equipment I'm using:

PC: I'm using a bit of a weird computer, it's an Intel NUC (Kit NUC8i7HNK) with an odd graphics card: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/126141/intel-nuc-kit-nuc8i7hnk/sp...fications.html

Capture Card: Easy-Link USB Capture Card AVC08 by 'Vtop' or 'V.top'. Composite / S-Video to USB. The driver I'm using for this is called 'USB2.0 VIDBOX FW' in my device manager.

VHS player: JVC HR-S7600AM. I'm using S-Video, but have tried regular composite and I'm getting the same results.

Software: I'm using PotPlayer, but have also tried OBS, Arc Soft ShowBiz and they are each having the same issue.

Playing the video back on a TV it appears fine so it's not the VHS player. I have feeling it's a problem with my weird computer and the lack of a right driver for it and this low level capture card.

If anyone can point me in a direction for where to find some answers I would be very grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The fact that you are getting problems with the JVC HR-S7600AM one of the rarest and best VCR's on the planet is a good indication your EasyCrap is the problem. Do you get the problem when TBC is on or off? Sometimes turning TBC off helps but you lose the benifit of the feature.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    While it might look that "it worked" on your MacBook Pro, i bet, in the long run you still have some lip-sync issues with long recordings,
    USB is not an ideal port to use with a capture dongle, a MacBook Pro has a more solid OS like you already noticed…
    Even when you fix your driver issue on Window$ you have to "cure" the un-stable analog video signal with a passthrough device that fits your budget.
    "a" ezCap device is not the best way to use for capturing analog video from a vcr, this is also valid for allmost all other consumer capture devices.
    And the JVC "TBC" feature is also not enough most of the time.
    Why did you stopped using your MacBook Pro, while this did "worked" for you ?
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 4th Jun 2023 at 15:43.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses.

Dellsam34, I did try turning off the TBC feature on the VCR, but unfortunately no difference.

Eric-jan, I upgraded my Macbook pro to an M1 model, and saw that the old EzCap software I had used on my old intel Mac wasn't supported on the M1. I'm sure there are alternatives, but I sort of prefer the idea of using this little gaming PC I have as it's set up next to my VCR station.

Admittedly I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to old video tech, having more of an 'arm-chair interest' in it. I've amassed a small collection of VHS tapes with old local ads on them and want to continue my digitization hobby.

With my cheap capture card issue aside, would you be able to recommend a better piece of equipment for what I'm doing? Preferably not too expensive. And also any suggestions on a workflow / good capture software? The EzCap capture software I used to use on my old Mac didn't have many options, where as this PotPlayer software I'm using on my PC has a great wide range of options and features (for tweaking colour / brightness etc).

Or if you could point me in the direction of a good guide that isn't super technical, it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by PlasticWindow; 4th Jun 2023 at 22:52.
    Quote Quote