VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I dont want to have to keep hopping between video players who can make stills seconds apart with the hit of a key (Jaksta) and video editors who cannot.
    I need to be working with videos and ONE prog.
    If video players can do it so can editors, editors can supposedly go frame by frame backwards, I need that ability to make stills, players such as Jaksta cant do that, there is no frame by frame, MPC_HD has Frame by Frame but every still generated sees it throw up a window asking for a name and location, nightmare. , I also must have the still the same quality and shape as the video when the still is opened into photoshop or as I intend also, my photogrammetry prog, one player I have used makes circles into elipses, all proportion is lost, kills use in photogrammetry or anything, so what editor can make stills as I BANG BANG BANG on a hotkey ?

I need an editor that can see me hit a hotkey, captures a still to a location set up in prefs, with no interface appearing asking for a name etc as my video is running so thats going to stop my viewing, and doesnt expect me to hit a save button and name it each time, as I have 100's and 100's to make from a clip.

DaVinciResolve it is said is BAD at stills expecting you to slice up into a frame the video then export that as a still, ye gods !! or right click and export and choose destination and name it, strewth ! Its been thought of as a need to make 1 still not many.

Vegas again mouse click an icon to take still then click save icon and choose location and name it. again hopeless.

I need to be able to pause video, go back a frame or so, an ability to jump fwd or backward to a 'key frame' where often the best stills are to be found, would be most welcome.

So which 'one off purchase' prog should I install. (premiere CC and subs is out of the question)

DBenz
    Last edited by DBenz; 11th Aug 2019 at 16:53.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    I dont want to have to keep hopping between video players who can make stills seconds apart with the hit of a key (Jaksta) and video editors who cannot.
    <snip>
    Vegas again mouse click an icon to take still then click save icon and choose location and name it. again hopeless.

I need to be able to pause video, go back a frame or so, an ability to jump fwd or backward to a 'key frame' where often the best stills are to be found, would be most welcome.
    Vegas can do exactly what you want. All you need to do is assign "Snapshot to File" to a keyboard shortcut. Once you do, you can press a key and it will save the still image. I do it all the time.

In addition, if you have Vegas Pro, you can easily write scripts that can do pretty much any series of steps you want. For instance, if you want to capture a still at the current cursor location, but another still at a fixed offset from that position, you can do that. I just made up this example, but the point is that if you want to do repetitive operations quickly, precisely, and repeatably, there is no NLE in the world that can do that better than Vegas.

I can guarantee that it will do exactly what you are asking for.

I have 10,000+ hours of editing in Vegas over the past 16+ years, and posted over 5,000 times in the old Vegas forum. You'll find many of my Vegas scripts scattered around various forums.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 11th Aug 2019 at 17:43. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  3. After I posted I got to thinking and remembered that while Vegas lets you assign the "Snapshot to Clipboard" function to a keyboard shortcut, you can't assign a shortcut to "Snapshot to File" because that function requires that you name each file, after each snapshot, using a dialog box.

This is, of course, exactly what you're trying to avoid ("bang, bang, bang").

So, since I stuck my neck out by posting, I went ahead and developed a Vegas Pro script that lets you create either PNG or JPG images from the frame at the current position of the cursor. Before you start the first time, you have to open the script in Notepad and specify the folder location and base file name. You can also change to save as JPG instead of PNG, if you want that format (I set the default to PNG).

Once you make those changes and save them, you can assign the script to a keyboard shortcut key. Then, each time you press the key it will create a snapshot in your designated folder, without any further work on your part. Just move the cursor to the frame you want, press the key, and move to the next one.

The script appends a number to your base file name that is simply the current time in hours, minutes and seconds, e.g.,

MyPic183929.png

which is the snap I took at 6:39:29 p.m. today. I suppose you could come up with some other numbering scheme, but I figured this would work for most situations where you're going to do all your snapshots in one day. You'll have to wait at least one second between snaps. (Anyone could easily add today's date to the string and that would make them totally unique.)

So, here's the script. Just copy/paste to Notepad and then save with the extension ".js" instead of the default ".txt" . Put the resulting file in your Vegas "scripts folder."

/*******************************************
    * This script will save a snapshot from the timeline
    * and will increment the file name.
    * Copyright (c) 2019 John Meyer
    *******************************************/

//System calls
    import System;
    import System.IO;
    import System.Windows.Forms;
    import Sony.Vegas;

//User-defined variables

var destdir = "E:\\TEST\\"; // Where should the file be saved?
    var destname = "MyPic"; // What is the file name?
    var today = new Date();
    destname = destname + today.getHours() + "" + today.getMinutes() + "" + today.getSeconds();

//Add comments to the next two lines and then remove comments from the two lines below those
    //to change to saving in JPEG format.
    var imageFileName = destdir + destname + ".png";
    var imageFormat = ImageFileFormat.PNG;
    //var imageFileName = destdir + destname + ".jpg";
    //var imageFormat = ImageFileFormat.JPEG;

//Begin script

// Save the current settings
    var origPreviewRenderQuality = Vegas.Project.Preview.RenderQuality;
    var origPreviewFillSize = Vegas.Project.Preview.FullSize;
    var origFieldOrder = Vegas.Project.Video.FieldOrder;
    var origProjectDeinterlaceMethod = Vegas.Project.Video.DeinterlaceMethod;

try {
    // Set for the best quality.
    Vegas.Project.Preview.RenderQuality = VideoRenderQuality.Best;
    Vegas.Project.Preview.FullSize = true;
    Vegas.Project.Video.FieldOrder = VideoFieldOrder.ProgressiveScan;
    Vegas.Project.Video.DeinterlaceMethod = VideoDeinterlaceMethod.InterpolateFields;

// save a snapshot.
    if (Vegas.SaveSnapshot(imageFileName, imageFormat, Vegas.Cursor) == RenderStatus.Complete) {
    Vegas.UpdateUI();
    }

// restore the project and preview settings
    Vegas.Project.Preview.RenderQuality = origPreviewRenderQuality;
    Vegas.Project.Preview.FullSize = origPreviewFillSize;
    Vegas.Project.Video.FieldOrder = origFieldOrder;
    Vegas.Project.Video.DeinterlaceMethod = origProjectDeinterlaceMethod;

} catch (e) {
    MessageBox.Show(e);
    }
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 11th Aug 2019 at 20:54. Reason: forgot to remove debug statements from script
    Quote Quote  
  4. P.S. VLC media player also lets you do "one-button snapshots."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Potplayer also let's you set up a location, move forward, back, to key frame and one button capture(alt-I default). Just be sure to check/uncheck box so no adware installed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. So, here's the script. Just copy/paste to Notepad and then save with the extension ".js" instead of the default ".txt" . Put the resulting file in your Vegas "scripts folder."
    it gives me errors with VegasPro 14:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(24) : Variable 'ImageFileFormat' has not been declared
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(38) : Variable 'VideoRenderQuality' has not been declared
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(40) : Variable 'VideoFieldOrder' has not been declared
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(41) : Variable 'VideoDeinterlaceMethod' has not been declared
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(44) : Variable 'RenderStatus' has not been declared
    not sure how to define those variables

EDIT: it might not be correctly imported, not sure what to correctly import
    Last edited by _Al_; 12th Aug 2019 at 10:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    So, here's the script. Just copy/paste to Notepad and then save with the extension ".js" instead of the default ".txt" . Put the resulting file in your Vegas "scripts folder."
    it gives me errors with VegasPro 14:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(24) : Variable 'ImageFileFormat' has not been declared
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(38) : Variable 'VideoRenderQuality' has not been declared
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(40) : Variable 'VideoFieldOrder' has not been declared
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(41) : Variable 'VideoDeinterlaceMethod' has not been declared
    C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 14.0\Script Menu\write images by John Meyer.js(44) : Variable 'RenderStatus' has not been declared
    not sure how to define those variables

EDIT: it might not be correctly imported, not sure what to correctly import
    It is possible that the copy/paste operation changed the formatting or line endings. Here is a link directly to the file. Note, however, that your anti-virus may complain about the ".js" extension.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tfg0jot48znbm0d/JHM_SnapshotToFile.js/file

Just drag/drop this to Notepad if you want to check its contents before running it as a script (if the anti-virus warnings spook you).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Johnmeyer, its very good of you to go the extra mile and create a script.
    I am not a coder but if I have something I am told to place somewhere I can do that. Could you get it to do that at requirement #4 an extra data is confusing, as is a time of capture, quite happy otherwise with an incremental number and having to rename the stills en masse.

Does it need scripting to save a bmp or tiff or max quality jpg ? I normally work with max qlty jpg.

I have in my notes vegas is unstable seen on a forum, so discounted it as such, along with the stills comment I saw, you obviously find different so its back now as next to try if its a yes to these below (3 an option though hope it can)

With use of the cursor in Vegas, do I have to drag the cursor to and fro,or, as I presume the cursor moves along whilst the video is playing, as cursors normally do, would hitting the hotkey for stills capture work, or do I have to hit pause, so the cursor is static, then hit the hotkey for stills capture, or does Vegas need to know I am actually touching the cursor with my mouse ?
    I need:-
    1) ability to play video and just keep hitting a key and capturing stills with no dialog box popping up, sit back and watch with finger on hotkey.
    2) ability to pause video and go backward frame by frame and also fwd frame by frame to be exact on where I am capturing when necessary.
    3) a real bonus would be an ability to jump fwd or backward to a keyframe and then hit the stills capture keyboard key. (Keyframes often hold a steadier image)
    4) if possible coding that would apply filename Holiday19aug2018.mpg and position on time line to still file..e.g. Holiday19aug2018_01-28-17.jpg as having two dates is confusing, else I would use a renamer prog (Den4b renamer is great) and add in the name.
    5) saving as jpg must be max quality.
    6) bmp or tif option ensures max quality but takes longer for prog to write so maybe 2 sec timelag. png I rarely use but I am ok with it if its same quality same 16.5million colours etc as original.
    7) hitting hotkey does not stop play but falters only by 1 sec or so.
    8) stills must be same size and quality and proportion as original footage. If video has a circle, when still opened into photoshop or other program I must still see a circle not elipse. No compression, same number of colours, same shape.
    9) stills capture must not involve menus each time, or split up the footage into a slice in order to capture it.

Potplayer, does that meet these requirements (3 being not vital but very useful)

Power Director fails on 1, 5,7, 8 and 9 if aim is to achieve 8. hopeless.

VLC media player doesnt have a frame by frame fwd and backward though.

DBenz
    Last edited by DBenz; 14th Aug 2019 at 14:41.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I had a hard time understanding much of what you wrote. Perhaps there is a translation problem.

1. Save as PNG, because you won't get compression artifacts. This is the preferred format these days, not TIFF or BMP. JPEG compresses the image and loses quality.

2. I didn't understand what file naming you want to use, but you can always use a bulk renaming app to change the names after the fact.

3. You should simply try using Vegas and see how it works.

4. In Vegas, use the J-K-L keys to move backward, pause/start, and forward. If you press and hold the K key before pressing J or K, these "scrubber keys" will behave differently. Try it out and you'll see what I mean. Once you start playing forward by pressing the L key, for example, each additional press of the L key will make the playback go faster. To stop, press either the space bar or K key.

Good luck with your effort. I've done what I can, and it's up to you to take it from here.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 14th Aug 2019 at 19:34. Reason: Moved sentence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I mentioned before, Potplayer does all that you ask. Even has a checkbox for jumping to key frame. I use it all the time with a drag and drop CMD file that shows frame number and time (153.123456) . Then with a shuttle I move forward and back and automatically feed that input as capture information to another program that cuts splices and captures images.

MPC-BE is another portable viewer that will do as you ask and adds current date and time during auto saves while viewer is playing.

[Attachment 49798 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi John,
    I am most grateful for your bringing Vegas to my attention.
    Do I need Pro to use the script though, as £500 is totally beyond my pocket just now and for some time to come.
    Is the free one incapable of stills capture or being coded for ?

A deciding factor in trying to muster £500...to have the script to write either just the timeline time of a still capture or also add the file name, otherwise I can add file name using a batch renamer, but I couldnt add the timeline time afterwards, that needs to happen as the stills are made, and as I am zero experience at coding can you please do that then I could try selling some beloved possessions to try and get that money .

Budman1...I will also try Potplayer, its a player not an editor.

I do want an editor that is capable of 4K and also stills capture, Vegas thanks to John is now a big contender, rather than have to work between two progs but Potplayer looks as you say a well featured and clever prog so it may replace my Jaksta and I will also try it as well.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WARNING... POTPLAYER INSTALLS ANTIVIRUS PROG WITH NO WARNING OR SUCH.

I have downloaded latest Potplayer via link on Videohelp.

It installed AVAST antivirus with no asking, it didnt warn of this as bundled antivirus software, there is a warning on their website saying 'the potplayer installation contains ad addons, be careful when you install or just use other video players.'
    To say dont use us when advertising their wares, like a restaurant saying go next door our food is disgusting.

An antivirus program being installed fully without any asking of the PC user, this is not 'ad addons', its not an advert, its a full blown install WHICH WILL DIG ITSELF DEEP IN THE REGISTRY, FOR THAT IS WHAT ANTIVIRUS PROGS ARE NOTED FOR, IT WILL CONFLICT WITH ANOTHER AV, I run kaspersky Internet Security 2019, one should not run two AV progs, asking for trouble, conflicts a plenty. and ripping the one back out will lead to other issues as all sorts of bits get left in the registry.

All in All to not warn downloaders of this, and I am told a malware prog would not identify it, is appalling and puts Potplayer developers in the gutter league.

POTPLAYER to do this SHOULD BE NAMED AND SHAMED. not a serious video prog contender to compete against the other progs who dont do such nasties to us.

BE WARNED, SHUN THEM, WHATEVER.

I had the sense to do an Acronis backup of C drive just prior to a week of trying out new progs, and failing to find even one that can do stills same qlty as the video with a hotkey and no dialog box ! I will now be able to undo that damage, but most would now be in for trouble.

DBenz.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't know why you didn't follow my other suggestion (in post #4): VLC. I just tested, and it will take stills while the video is playing, one of your requirements. Thus, you don't have to stop it in order to get a snapshot. It also can be sped up or slowed down, while maintaining pitch. Finally, if you press the "E" key it will stop, and then each press of the "E" key after that will move forward by one frame. You said that it doesn't do this, but didn't do enough research, because it does it just fine.

If you go to preferences and turn off the "simple" interface, you'll find that you have a huge number of customization that you can make.

It is free; it does what you want. Use it and get on with the project, for Pete's sake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @dbenz... I don't know where you downloaded PotPlayer from that it didn't have a warning to uncheck. I downloaded and installed just to check for myself. This is the screen I got from the latest download. I unchecked and installed.
    [Attachment 49817 - Click to enlarge]

I double checked after install and there is no Avast installed.
    [Attachment 49818 - Click to enlarge]

I am sorry you had problems that were difficult to remove.

BTW... MPC-BE Black edition will do the same as you asked and it is Portable so no install.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Budman 1
    I downloaded it from here:-
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer

and went for the 64bit windows option 1.7.19955 just under the word Download.

It was from the videohelp site, is this an unhealthy forum site ?

I right clicked the folder I downloaded it to, and chose scan with Kaspersky, as I always do, it declared it ok.
    I right clicked the file and went run as administrator as I always do, which is correct for my pc, I am admin by the way.

Honestly it had no warning, either prior the download or at start of install, no offer to choose Avast, nothing, it just installed Potplayer and whilst I was pondering on what codec other than the ticked one to install up came Avast interface fully installed. went to control panel progs etc and there it was installed so I had to uninstall it but I afterwards reverted to the backup I made with Acronis True Image Home prior to all this video editor trials, so now 100% free of any nasties as AV's are notorious for causing problems after removal.

I then google Potplayer and such issues and see mention of nasties
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393452-PotPlayer-now-Adware%21

I then ran the file through an online malware checker that had a massive list of things it would look for and it found two red warnings, but for Avast it said 'undetected' !

I then tried another online malware scan and it declared it clean.

As such all you good people out there truly be warned !!

Other forum posts said the prog loaded on ok but later when it did an auto update it pulled in unwanted installs, so that again is worrying.

Hi John,
    Thanks, Yes I know it can do stills on the fly, I have used it before, however...
    I am after backwards frame by frame as well as fwds.
    I couldnt see such for VLC but will revisit it incase it can. Do you know how to get it to do that ? I see a shot I want and of course need then to go backwards to get to it, all players tried so far cannot go backwards hence quest for editor that normally can.

I am not alone in this basic requirement, I cant get on with project until I can go backwards as I see a frame then need to get back to it, not get jumped back massively as I end up playing the video twice as much and a lot of messing about.
    https://www.vlchelp.com/frame-stepping/

Budman1 BTW... MPC-BE Black edition will do the same as you asked and it is Portable so no install.
    Can it go backwards frame by frame ?

DBenz
    Last edited by DBenz; 17th Aug 2019 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes frame by frame is defaulted using left and right arrows. Be aware that some videos, poorly made can have a problem going forward or backward, either frame by frame or key frame to key frame.

Potplayer I just went to daus home page and downloaded mine. Some sites will do just as you mention. They allow you to download software but with added stuff not in the creators original. I believe the site here is ok but I'll check.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=DBenz;2557799]

I am after backwards frame by frame as well as fwds.
    I couldnt see such for VLC but will revisit it incase it can. Do you know how to get it to do that ? I see a shot I want and of course need then to go backwards to get to it, all players tried so far cannot go backwards hence quest for editor that normally can.

[QUOTE]

DBenz,
    I have never figured out how to make VLC step backwards frame-by-frame but have desired this feature. Forward frame-by-frame is supported. If frame-by-frame backwards is possible I hope someone will post specific steps on how to do it.

creakndale
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Budman1 the infected one definitely came from the link to it on this website so someone needs to resolve that. Not sure how the videohelp website can add in Avast program into a developers program, worrying for develoeprs if so, but internet talks of Potplayer having gone naughty mode and include unwanted extras.

I have now downloaded the 64bit ad free one from the above videohelp website. Ran it through online scan site virustotal.com AND ITS DETECTED A TROJAN. This is appalling, Potplayer should be barred from putting this stuff out to us. Take heed everyone.

MPC-BE this sounds ideal then, I am now dead scared to install anything, I will google this heavily for nasties. I need it to make multiple stills capture, same quality, without any interruption to my viewing such as a save as dialog box every time I press the hotkey as I will be pressing hotkey 100 or so times. Such user settings can be set up beforehand in preferences. I hope they have adopted such avoiding irritant pop up dialog boxes, . Jaksta and VLC dispense with such, just wish they went frame by frame or even key frame by keyframe backwards, quite happy with that. KF are often best anyway.

Creakndale...glad I am not alone, its going to happen A LOT, you are playing a video, see a frame you want, its now gone by a second or so allowing for human reaction on the pause button, so need to backwards a sec to get to it. editors go backwards, players cant as their developers mindset is play fwds only., its a real basic issue. Easily solved by getting an editor, but they (affordable ones) cant manage the stills making.

I used to use WinDVD which could do so but then it changed hands and they ruined it.

DBenz
    Last edited by DBenz; 17th Aug 2019 at 16:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update... Strange both the Daum website and the one here show exactly the same. However, being a GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT, I installed again from https://www.videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer and this time I got a different agreement you have to say no to ny licking radio box. Apparently ()I'm guessing) the adware, antivrus, etc. changes from time to time.

This time it asked to install Avira (as opposed to Avast?? It may be possible you got one that they forgot to give the option window to. This time I got

[Attachment 49843 - Click to enlarge]

The 'no' radio box is very small and easily missed. Also they make it look like you are accepting their rules and regulation and many can miss the extra boxes to uncheck/say no.

Anyway, MPC-BE does most of the same functions including play Avisynth AVS files but is not as overall configurable. I like Potplayer but use both for different purposes. I also keep a couple of downllevel copies in case...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I can assure you absolutely nothing appeared. I have had to reinstate my PC backup, I am trying a few others, but alas infected before even trying them.

then I will try for this diseased potplayer again, untick anything that appears, if it appears. and be uneasy thereafter.

To justify the risk, I just need to be sure...can Potplayer do this:-

1.frame by frame fwd and backward
    2.keyframe by keyframe fwd and backward
    3.frame capture same size and quality as original 4K.
    4.No dialog save box popup.
    5.A hope...Captured image to have timeline data 00:00:00 in its name and ideally the video filename in its name.
    6.Scrubbing ability (drag slider to and fro to scrub through video.)

I have looked at a load of players, and BSPlayer seemed very good, installed it but P for original capture turned 4k into HD, and no scrubbing action on slider either. also no frame by frame key indicated though its said it can do it.

I see mention of GOM Player being able to do all this.
    I download it from developers website, getting holf of the ad free pro version.
    run it through www.virustotal.com and it finds 3 nasties inc a trojan. ditto GOM player from 2017. google it and folk say used to be my 'go to' but not after they infest it with revenue earning trash.

I am so fed up with anything that is supposedly free being infested.
    SMplayer is next and again infested. The portable version was clean.

Just what NON INFESTED prog is there that will do Frame x frame, keyframe x keyframe, both wanted fwd AND backward, scrubbing and same size/quality captures without a pesky save dialog box getting in the way each time the capture key is hit ?

we put a man on the moon and cant even manage this.

Youtube video shows cat leaping and old Movie Player Classic doing smooth backwards and forwards frame by frame, then new MPC_HC failing abysmally on the backwards mode. What is going on with player progs ?

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    okay here you go:
    [Attachment 49849 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 49850 - Click to enlarge]

I could be wrong on this assumption:
    Original file 28Mb, 14310 Frames Largest I-Frame 20k(supposed to be whole picture,compressed of course)
    Chroma sampling and bit depth the same as mediainfo for video 4:2:0 8bit
    [Attachment 49851 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 49852 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 49853 - Click to enlarge]

Gives filename for CGOP.MP4 as CGOP.mp4_000001.899.mp4
    [Attachment 49854 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote