VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have converted a lot of videos using this method and it works with a few exceptions but now I may have found a new exception.

I have a Music Video that spans 2 VOBs on an NTSC DVD. It is to say the video starts (first 30 seconds) on VOB 1 and ends on VOB 2. The DVD plays fine as do the files once ripped to Linux PC.

When I load the VOBs into AVIDemux and stream copy to AVI container, then loadig the resulting AVI. I get "unrecongnized audio format" when playing back in VLC as well as 30 seconds in (this is where the switch occurs from one VOB to the next), It freezes the frame for several seconds then resumes.

So I tried with stream copy to MKV container and the audio format is recongnized however I still get the freeze at 30 seconds in where the switch in source from VOB1 to VOB2

I am using AVI Demux 2.7.4 appimage on ubuntu 16.04

I do not want to convert in AVIDemux as the options seem very limited. I want to only stream copy and use ffmpeg to convert with yadif=1 and upscale to 720P. This would also be consistent with how the other videos are done.

Is there another way to merge the 2 VOBs and extract only the portion I need that spans the 2 original VOBs?
    Last edited by markosjal; 23rd Nov 2019 at 22:45.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Many programs don't work well with VOB files. Use DgIndex (part of DgMpgDec) to open the two VOB files then use File -> Save Project And Demux Video. That will give you a AC3 and M2V file which will work as inputs to ffmpeg.

Oops, I just noticed your using Ubuntu. I don't know of any tool that works there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I just read about using the 'cat' command in linux to concatenate the two files and AVIDemux makes MKV that ffmpeg is happy with but still unrecognized audio in an AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What about appending the vob files as a single MKV with MKVToolNixGUI? I think the correct method would be to open the first vob file, then add the second vob file as an "additional part" (rather than use the append option to join them).
    Quote Quote