VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys.

I have a lot of music DVDs but would rather have each music video as it's own file. Most of the DVDs seem to have each song as a different chapter. What would be the easiest way to extract the music videos without losing quality.

Thanx for looking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to extract an individual chapter from a title set (VTS)

The pro version of vob2mpg will also allow you to extract one chapter directly as an mpeg.

I can not think of any program that can automatically rip each and every chapter individually in one pass.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I can not think of any program that can automatically rip each and every chapter individually in one pass.
    That's what will happen when you set up DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode and then go Tools->Settings->IFO Mode->Options->File Splitting->By Chapter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    That's what will happen when you set up DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode and then go Tools->Settings->IFO Mode->Options->File Splitting->By Chapter.
    Oops.
    Quote Quote  
  5. this is exactly what I want! But I even want to preview chapters first, maby I just want 3 chapters from a DVD.
    don't know if Im a right!! But did DVDFab had preview function? If so! is DVDFab comparably with DVD Decrypter
    in quality?? or is there better/Best programs out there 2012?

PS:It docent matter if it cost me some pesos!! I want quality.

Best regards: Grytran1199
    Quote Quote  
  6. A decrypter decrypts - it gives you the VOBs minus the encryption and it doesn't matter which decrypter you use. DVDFab is newer and can decrypt DVDs with more advanced copy protection, but music compilation DVDs don't have those kinds of encryption.

If you want only some chapters, then on the main screen of DVD Decrypter check only the chapters you want. As for a preview, play the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    A decrypter decrypts - it gives you the VOBs minus the encryption and it doesn't matter which decrypter you use. DVDFab is newer and can decrypt DVDs with more advanced copy protection, but music compilation DVDs don't have those kinds of encryption.

If you want only some chapters, then on the main screen of DVD Decrypter check only the chapters you want. As for a preview, play the DVD.
    1000 ThX manono for a fast lightning answer Thx
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx for the replies. I just installed DVD Decrypter and had a play around.

Among my DVDs is the Beastie Boys Criterion Collection. It features alternate angles - 1 song has 9. I'd assumed the different angles would be in the same VOB somehow stored parallel to each other in different video tracks. I now see they are in numerous VOBs - I think some are after each other in the same VOB. Is it possible to have all the angles in 1 file?

Thanx again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by skywalka View Post
    Is it possible to have all the angles in 1 file?
    Not in IFO mode. They are most likely graphics in different languages, you can use a player to see what they are.
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 10th Apr 2012 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Multi-angle uses the same VOB.
    A single VOB has cells with contents like this:
    Code:
    A | B | C | A | B | C | A | B | C...
    The IFO tells the player to SKIP over the "interleaved" other angles when playing, for example, the "A" angle. And NO, these are likely TRUE video channels, not "graphics" overlays (sorry to contradict you MOVIEGEEK, but I've authored a NUMBER of MA-type discs). Up to 9 are possible, with somewhat lowered bitrate for all streams, though seemingly higher than the normal overal limit (because of the skipping).

Within a Titleset, the # of angles can't change, so you might see some VOBs with and some without, if they are parts of different titlesets.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Fab has a preview mode. With the paid version, I can select individual segments using customize mode, and retain the main menu. I'm not certain of what is available using DVD Fab Decrypter.

I then can edit out the non functional stuff with DVD Remake Pro for perfection.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  12. @Cornucopia,
    I'm not an expert on angles so I'm not offended to be contradicted, I have only encountered angles on a few DVD's such as the Star Wars episodes where the opening scene can be seen in different languages. You can edit angles in PGCEdit.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to keep the alternate angles. Is it possible to contain them in one file? Could I convert to mkv and keep them all?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The only equivalent to "Multi-angle" DVD or BD is multi-video stream muxing. This can be done with:
    1. AVI/DIVX (using graphedit)
    2. MOV (using QTPro)
    3. MPG (using Imago or Many other MPEG muxers)
    4. WMV - maybe (using StereoWMV muxer)
    5. MP4 and MKV should work, but I don't know which apps would work best to create the right output.

Since MKV supports stereo3D multi-streams, it OUGHT to support other multi-streams the same way, but I'm not sure if their way of supporting S3D was multi-stream muxing or something else.

The problem is less likely in the getting it into the file. The real problem is in the correct playback. DVD/BD players INHERENTLY support multi-angle. Only a very few players support mulit-video-stream muxed files on the PC: VLC, Stereoscopic player, ...?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx for that very informative post.

To keep the video at the same quality which formats could I use?
    Am I right in saying a VOB is a type of MPG? Probably the best option?
    AVI/DIVX would be lossy compression?
    MOV?
    WMV?
    MP4?
    MKV?

I'm starting to think it may not be worth the effort.

Thanx again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VOB is a super-set of the MPEG2 Program Stream format, so something as simple as VOB2MPG will strip out the extra stuff & remux to a standard MPEG2 Program Stream (.MPG, etc). This will NOT convert the video (or audio), so will retain whatever quality it came with. It may or may not keep additional angles (but there are ways around that).

***Note: while it IS possible to create MPG Program Streams with multiple video streams (as well as audio) - I HAVE done this, player support is still very low and somewhat unpredictable.

Scott
    Quote Quote