VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an HP m7250n Media Center. Our cable provider, Comcast, has switched from analog to digital. Now I can only receive the low station numbers (2 - 25) and those have poor quality. I am not sure if the tuner is replacable, and if so, does anybody have a product suggestion that will receive digital and compatible with HP Media Center.
    Thank
    Bruce
    Quote Quote  
  2. You will have to look for a QAM tuner -- the system that most digital cable systems use. But you will find that most digital channels are encrypted. The ones that aren't are probably the same channels you get now with your analog tuner. If you have an HDTV with a QAM tuner try plugging the cable feed directly into the HDTV (ie, bypass the cable box) and running a digital channel scan. That will give you an idea of what channels are available via clear (unencrypted) QAM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Basics are unencrypted on comcast, according to some friends that do it. Indeed, you need a QAM tuner.

I suggest this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00138H420?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B00138H420
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you want more than the unencrypted locals, normal solution is to rent a cable box and control it from MCE with IR control. For SD the Hauppauge cards are popular.

HD cable capture is still a mess. The Hauppage HD-PVR is an option.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote