VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For the first time in my life I decided to buy a digital copy of a movie - specifically Apollo 11.

I want a HD version of the movie, and I want it as one file with no DRM that I can choose to watch wherever/whenever I want.

I was going to buy it from Amazon, but I read at this link that it would download as a pile of separate files, and possibly only be playable using the Amazon Prime Video app. Then I turned to iTunes, but iTunes warns me that "To play this in HD, your computer and display must both support HDCP". To be honest, I've never heard of HDCP, but that sounds like a troublesome DRM file to me.

Where can I turn now? Are there any other sites where I can pay to download a non-DRM file? Have I misunderstood what HDCP is?
    I'm in the UK in case it's important.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buy the Blu-ray and a Blu-ray burner for the computer. Then you can rip the disk to a non DRM'd version
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure where you've been the last 30 years but no one sells non-copy (drm) protected retail movies online. your best bet is to buy a copy of the dvd or blu-ray and get the tools to un-protect it yourself to a file.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by osullic View Post
    For the first time in my life I decided to buy a digital copy of a movie - specifically Apollo 11.

I want a HD version of the movie, and I want it as one file with no DRM that I can choose to watch wherever/whenever I want.

I was going to buy it from Amazon, but I read at this link that it would download as a pile of separate files, and possibly only be playable using the Amazon Prime Video app. Then I turned to iTunes, but iTunes warns me that "To play this in HD, your computer and display must both support HDCP". To be honest, I've never heard of HDCP, but that sounds like a troublesome DRM file to me.

Where can I turn now? Are there any other sites where I can pay to download a non-DRM file? Have I misunderstood what HDCP is?
    I'm in the UK in case it's important.
    use dvdfab & the dvdfab DRM removal tool - https://www.dvdfab.cn/drm-removal.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    not sure where you've been the last 30 years but no one sells non-copy (drm) protected retail movies online. your best bet is to buy a copy of the dvd or blu-ray and get the tools to un-protect it yourself to a file.
    As stated, this is the first time I've looked into this. I naïvely thought it would work like buying MP3s - they don't have any DRM. Also, it seems that this HDCP thing is only for the HD versions of movies on iTunes. If I were to buy the SD version, I'm not sure it would have DRM - I didn't see any mention of it anyway. I may be wrong. It's kind of irrelevant in any case, as I want the HD version.
    Quote Quote  
  6. They are copyright locked regardless if they are SD or HD on Amazon
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by osullic View Post
    it seems that this HDCP thing is only for the HD versions of movies on iTunes. If I were to buy the SD version, I'm not sure it would have DRM
    As was pointed out, nobody sells legitimate non-DRM protected movies or TV series online. I don't know if the SD version at iTunes requires HDCP (encryption between the computer and the monitor) but it will certainly have DRM (file level encryption).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Good grief. Get a job. Earn some money. Buy the movie. Watch the movie.

$18 on Amazon.

Why must everything be free?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Good grief. Get a job. Earn some money. Buy the movie. Watch the movie.

$18 on Amazon.

A very odd response. I'm not quite sure who you are addressing this to. I'm perfectly willing to spend money. That's the whole point. I just don't want some outdated physical disc-based format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by osullic View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Good grief. Get a job. Earn some money. Buy the movie. Watch the movie.

$18 on Amazon.

A very odd response. I'm not quite sure who you are addressing this to. I'm perfectly willing to spend money. That's the whole point. I just don't want some outdated physical disc-based format.
    Why is it outdated? I'd say it is better....you can make your own files from it. Far better than getting online DRM rentals, as you have just found out. Get used physical copies and save some cash.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Years from now when the movie studios get their way and new physical releases are no longer available, we'll look back at 2019 and yearn for the days when we could actually a copy of our favorite movies. Streaming as it stands now and will become more so in the future is [at] best leasing a movie. When the servers go down, licenses expire or the provider just decides to no longer make the movies available, the lease is over.

I thought about this a long time ago. It's ironic that even with physical media (optical discs and other storage media), the movies are non-tangible. Gone are the days when we look a strip of film and see something with our naked eyes. *SIGH*
    Last edited by lingyi; 5th Nov 2019 at 15:22.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Trust me, you'll want a physical disc. I've personally had iTunes purchases gone that I didn't have downloaded as the studio didt sell that title to iTunes anymore. If its gone there's no way to re-get it as its no longer there. And you can lend it, resell it, etc. Have yet to see a digital store let me trade in titles I dont want no more as all you bought was viewing rights, not true ownership. That I've rarely seen digital only cheaper than a disc as the studio sets the price... Usually MSRP
    Last edited by dannyboy48888; 5th Nov 2019 at 21:34. Reason: Accidentally hit done.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote