FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    Was there supposed to be a "point" to your mindless rant??
    The rants from Derex888 can be anything, except "mindless".

If it depended on the self-advertisement screens that run during the setup process,
    we all would still be using Windows 95. :P

P.S.:This thread already is 6-page long, and doesn't say a word about
    the Windows 7 issues with DirectShow

That's weird.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    Was there supposed to be a "point" to your mindless rant??
    The rants from Derex888 can be anything, except "mindless".

If it depended on the self-advertisement screens that run during the setup process,
    we all would still be using Windows 95. :P

P.S.:This thread already is 6-page long, and doesn't say a word about
    the Windows 7 issues with DirectShow

That's weird.
    Let's see, Derex888 said "I" (ocgw) specifically should not care what my OS looks like, then when I point out the reason why I care he goes off on a "your bragging" rant, and in a complete 180* reversal "brags" about how "way back when" he was trying to make a better GUI

I call that complete unadulterated unmitigated mindlessness Sherlock

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dbl post
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  5. Back on track

Well, I've been on the RTM final version for a few weeks now.
    I'm slowly starting to get used to it, as I was not a Vista user at all.

My biggest peeve, If you pin the explorer window, it will always reset to open to your Libraries. I'm sure there's a trick to forcing it to open to C: or X:, but I haven't taken the time to search for it.

I'm still peeved at how they barried some of the things I alwways accessed on 1 or 2 clicks.

I'm sure glad I figured out how to turn off the drop shadow of the icon text. Damn, that was annoying to say the least.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Under Start menu options, display Computer as menu.

From now on, hover over Computer until the list of drives appears and then click on the drive or right-click and Explore. This way, you get the original Explorer rather than the newer version with the Libraries etc.

Same trick for viewing Control Panel with the traditional layout (i.e., access it via a menu link on the Start menu).

Personally, been hacking away on Win 7 RTM for a while and only have a couple of peeves:

System tray icons are monochrome

Windows Basic via Remote Desktop makes it *very* hard to read the font on the task bar etc. Easily dealt with by using Windows Classic via RDP. This relates to the other annoyance of not being able to change the taskbar font attributes (unless you want to hack the theme files).

There are some other minor ones but the gains outweigh the losses.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Personally, been hacking away on Win 7 RTM for a while and only have a couple of peeves:

System tray icons are monochrome.
    I noticed that too, until I installed MS's security essentials beta. It's a bright blue tent with a flag on top.
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please stay on topic. Off topic posts removed. DereX888 warned. Please behave.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Please stay on topic. Off topic posts removed. DereX888 warned. Please behave.
    Strange I never call anyone names first!
    I was very patient, I replied with flames after he flamed me few times, haven't you noticed when you deleted posts?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Now you can take the Windows 7 Personality Quiz

http://www.microsoft.com/hk/windows7/quiz/

You are... Minimalist
    You advocate green living. You don't show off and you appreciate the elegance of minimalist simplicity.
    The minimal Windows 7 system requirements satisfy your thrifty nature because you don't have to add on additional kinds of hardware or software. Its various power and energy saving features fit your simple living life style.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just found that Windows 7 Party Hosts get 2 copies of Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit and 64-bit

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just found that Windows 7 Party Hosts get 2 copies of Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit and 64-bit

ocgw

peace
    But do you get two keys? All Win7 come with both but one key.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

ocgw

peace
    But do you get two keys? All Win7 come with both but one key.
    All I know is that they give you 2 seperate discs, 1 in a white sleeve, and the other in a black sleeve

even if it is 1 key it won't bother me much

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I'd rather await the Service Pack 2 for Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    I'd rather await the Service Pack 2 for Windows 7.
    Windows 7 is stable, if you buy Win 7 now, when SP2 comes out you can always slipstream it

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 7 is stable
    It's still pre-release, hold your horses

And it hasn't been fully stable on all of my test systems. The craptop I use for a bedroom HTPC works fine with it (and I do prefer the new Media Center app) but two workstation builds flopped and it doesn't respond well to VMware View. Like Vista most companies, including mine, are still not going to jump ship from XP just yet. Our client integration guys are testing Vista and Win7 in parallel for the next version of our builds. Better to hedge our bets (and VECD doesn't care which desktop version we use).
    Quote Quote  
  17. The RTM version has been available since June. It's what I am using and is just fine. Then again, since starting using Vista in Nov 2006, I've only experienced one BSOD. Choice of hardware is everything.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rallynavvie
    Windows 7 is stable
    It's still pre-release, hold your horses

And it hasn't been fully stable on all of my test systems. The craptop I use for a bedroom HTPC works fine with it (and I do prefer the new Media Center app) but two workstation builds flopped and it doesn't respond well to VMware View. Like Vista most companies, including mine, are still not going to jump ship from XP just yet. Our client integration guys are testing Vista and Win7 in parallel for the next version of our builds. Better to hedge our bets (and VECD doesn't care which desktop version we use).
    You may be on to something, it may be plenty stable w/ simpler builds, but may need more work w/ work station enviroments, I personally have not made this observation as my HTPC/Home Media Server has been likened to a "Forensic Work Station"

All I know is mine is stable @ 30% overclock w/ a 100% load across all 4 cores encoding for up to 6 hrs straight, and w/ the usual range of office apps, photo editing, video editing, audio reencoding, disc copying, printing, internet, home theater, antivirus and basic utilities, haven't found the time to test it w/ heavy gaming lately tho'

For those that don't know my highly overclocked HTPC has a quad core cpu, 8GB of ram (2) psu's totaling 900 watts, a 8800GTX gfx card, a Hauppauge hi-def TV tuner card, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card, a HDD expansion card, 8 HDD's, 1 blu ray burner and a "partidge in a pear treeeeeeee"

Don't get me wrong tho' rallynavvie, I totally agree that XP is more than sufficient for the workplace, but is just about dead as far as I am concerned for personal use

I just had my first BSOD in weeks upgrading to the latest version of BD Rebuilder (30.02) because the older beta version I was using "timed out", now using 30.01 w/o issue

I am not counting that 1 against Win 7

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    M$ employee store finally posted up Windows 7 so I picked up a couple copies of Ultimate with my voucher before it expired. Still not planning on installing it on my workstation until SP1 comes out. I may put it on my old Sony Vaio laptop but mainly plan on running it as a VM until SP1.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    M$ employee store finally posted up Windows 7 so I picked up a couple copies of Ultimate with my voucher before it expired. Still not planning on installing it on my workstation until SP1 comes out. I may put it on my old Sony Vaio laptop but mainly plan on running it as a VM until SP1.
    Interesting, you are gonna' run 7 as VM inside of XP or Vista rather than running XP as VM inside of 7

When you run your VM ware I gather you don't have the hardware limitations like w/ Windows 7 XP mode?

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone else crashing Windows Explorer in the RC? For me it happens when scrolling down on one drive (a 1.5TB Seagate).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Anyone else crashing Windows Explorer in the RC? For me it happens when scrolling down on one drive (a 1.5TB Seagate).
    I have (4)x 1.5TB Seagate HDD's in my HTPC/Home Media Server and have not experienced that symptom

You might need a fresh install

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've reported the problem. Explorer (including the task bar) crashes but can be relaunched. It doesn't take out the OS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, you are gonna' run 7 as VM inside of XP or Vista rather than running XP as VM inside of 7

When you run your VM ware I gather you don't have the hardware limitations like w/ Windows 7 XP mode?
    The Adobe suite isn't certified for Windows 7 yet and Bridge has been crashing my test workstation so that's one big reason not to run 7 at home. Vista has been doing just fine in this regard. I wasn't an early adopter of Vista either, I waited until SP1 to build this new machine for it. Unlike many others who have complained about it I have never had issues with it outside of the usual Windows gripes. I follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" methodology until I've tested something well enough to know it'll work for my purposes. That's why the VMs are so handy.

If by "hardware limitations" you mean that the VM can't see all of my PCI devices and peripherals then yes. VMware Workstation is a lot more robust than the hypervisor that Windows 7 is using, VirtualPC, but there are still some things that the hypervisor can't pass on. Fortunately there isn't anything that I need that I can't access from within the VM. And with VMware View 4 offering PCoIP there's a possibility of running Windows 7 Media Center right from a PCoIP-enabled display. That's what I'm looking forward to this Christmas
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

The Adobe suite isn't certified for Windows 7 yet and Bridge has been crashing my test workstation so that's one big reason not to run 7 at home. Vista has been doing just fine in this regard. I wasn't an early adopter of Vista either, I waited until SP1 to build this new machine for it. Unlike many others who have complained about it I have never had issues with it outside of the usual Windows gripes. I follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" methodology until I've tested something well enough to know it'll work for my purposes. That's why the VMs are so handy.

If by "hardware limitations" you mean that the VM can't see all of my PCI devices and peripherals then yes. VMware Workstation is a lot more robust than the hypervisor that Windows 7 is using, VirtualPC, but there are still some things that the hypervisor can't pass on. Fortunately there isn't anything that I need that I can't access from within the VM. And with VMware View 4 offering PCoIP there's a possibility of running Windows 7 Media Center right from a PCoIP-enabled display. That's what I'm looking forward to this Christmas
    I have Photoshop CS3 and Elements installed but have not used them much, I usually use Lightroom 2.0 and have not had any problems

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed Windows 7 Ultimate "Signature Edition" on my 2nd PC, installation was "pain free"

It found every driver for all my hardware automatically

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Outlook Express and Windows Movie Maker are gone, by default.

They can be replaced by downloading Windows Live Mail and Windows Live Movie Maker. I haven't tried the former yet and I haven't decided what I think about the latter.
    Quote Quote