VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Recently Microsoft Edge started resetting PDF association in Windows 10. I do not use Edge, but every time I open a PDF file directly or indirectly through another application, the default PDF application is reset and the PDF file is opened by Edge. This was not happening in the past and Windows 10 has not been updated to justify this change. I believe this is a known issue, but I tried every solution I could find without any luck. Can anyone offer advice?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    uninstall edge.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    uninstall edge.
    It can't be uninstalled.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This has been happening to me since day 1 of using Windows 10. I usually use Sumatra PDF as it is free, open source and light weight but Windows 10 resets it every time. Apparently it doesn't like that particular viewer. Or so I thought. After a while it would reset any viewer I assigned. You can try this to see if it helps:

Personally I have started using Foxit for some of its functionality. Not my favourite app, but Windows 10 does not reset it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This doesn't happen to me, never has.
    I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64.
    My default PDF browser is PDF XChange Editor.
    I never use Edge or FF, just Chrome.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I only tried Sumatra PDF and Adobe Acrobat Reader and it happens with both. Default browser is Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Go to windows setting/apps/default apps/choose default apps by files type and select .pdf and set it to your preferred app.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Go to windows setting/apps/default apps/choose default apps by files type and select .pdf and set it to your preferred app.
    This is the first thing I tried, but as I wrote the preferred application is reset to Edge.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I also never use edge or Firefox, just Chrome. What you can try is opening your viewer as an admin. Then set permission within the app. Literally just tried it with Sumatra and it worked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    uninstall edge.
    It can't be uninstalled.
    what version of w10? microsoft installed edge as an unasked for security update on a w10 machine here and i promptly uninstalled it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    I also never use edge or Firefox, just Chrome. What you can try is opening your viewer as an admin. Then set permission within the app. Literally just tried it with Sumatra and it worked.
    This does not work for me with Sumatra.

what version of w10? microsoft installed edge as an unasked for security update on a w10 machine here and i promptly uninstalled it.
    Version 1709.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    I also never use edge or Firefox, just Chrome. What you can try is opening your viewer as an admin. Then set permission within the app. Literally just tried it with Sumatra and it worked.
    This does not work for me with Sumatra.

Version 1709.
    have you tried this - https://www.howtogeek.com/237512/how-to-change-the-default-pdf-reader-in-windows-10/
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I tried changing the default by using open with in file explorer with no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  14. After most of the Big Win10 updates a number of my default apps have been reset to Win10's default set of default apps! Use the built-in feedback hub to express your feelings about this - hopefully if enough people complain then they *might* eventually stop doing it.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried changing the default by using open with in file explorer with no luck.
    you can uninstall edge browser - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-microsoft-edge-windows-10
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reading this topic is just one reason I am glad I did not buy in to the 'must upgrade to Win10' and stuck with Win7.

But just for discussion purposes, didn't Ms have anti-trust issues in the past and is not switching users apps to Ms apps something that other developers could object to ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm on the latest windows 10(20H2)and none of my default programs got reset to ms programs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    I believe you can only uninstall the Chromium version of Microsoft Edge and not the legacy one.
    Quote Quote