VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am presently at work, but my intentions are to add the WMP11 VC-1 codec, and clean my PC as you recommended when I get home tonight. You are correct...adding another HDD will not be a bad idea either. I will surely give "BULLITT" another try and get back to you with results.

I'm TRYING!!! :P
    Quote Quote  
  2. I guess it's too late to combine these threads, but the two are closely related. Here's the other thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic375860.html

Waiting for the results. Here's hoping that decoding VC-1 in ffdshow was the problem, and using the MS WMP11 VC-1 codec is the solution.

[EDIT] Did you use MediaInfo to verify that "Bullitt" is indeed encoded in VC-1? BTW, that would neatly explain why tsSniper wouldn't open the file.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fritzi93,
    It WORKED!!.....backing up "BULLITT" finally worked 100% flawless!!

Thank you for guiding me throughout the entire process and for being patient with me.

I think I LOVE YOU!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh...I forgot to mention that codecsniper didn't work for me. When I tried to run it, it gave me an error in another language (probably german). Any suggestions on this?

I was able to run another tool (can't recall the name), and it found a broken codec file and it asked me to delete it and I took the chance and said YES. I hope I didn't screw anything up....

titot4u
    Quote Quote  
  5. Do you remember the name of the codec? One broken codec isn't usually enough to get alarmed over unless something else stuffs up as a result. At this point I'd just run sfc /scannow and thereafter stop worrying. Whatever the hell is wrong now with CodecSniper, I don't want to know.

Anyway, glad it finally got sorted out. I can't believe neither I nor anyone else thought of that sooner. All it took was a VC-1 codec. When you posted the paragraph from jdodds I was smacking myself on the forehead and muttering: "Shit, I bet "Bullitt" is in VC-1!"

You're the one that found the solution. You just didn't immediately realize it. :P
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    I guess it's too late to combine these threads, but the two are closely related. Here's the other thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic375860.html

Waiting for the results. Here's hoping that decoding VC-1 in ffdshow was the problem, and using the MS WMP11 VC-1 codec is the solution.

[EDIT] Did you use MediaInfo to verify that "Bullitt" is indeed encoded in VC-1? BTW, that would neatly explain why tsSniper wouldn't open the file.
    This link may be helpful in the future

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you remember the name of the codec? One broken codec isn't usually enough to get alarmed over unless something else stuffs up as a result. At this point I'd just run sfc /scannow and thereafter stop worrying. Whatever the hell is wrong now with CodecSniper, I don't want to know.

Anyway, glad it finally got sorted out. I can't believe neither I nor anyone else thought of that sooner. All it took was a VC-1 codec. When you posted the paragraph from jdodds I was smacking myself on the forehead and muttering: "Shit, I bet "Bullitt" is in VC-1!"

You're the one that found the solution. You just didn't immediately realize it. :P
    Nah...I don't remember the name of the codec I deleted, but it was a broken codec, so it wasn't working anyway, right? I do have a log file that the codec program created. If I post it on here, will you be able to tell me which codecs to keep or delete?

At this point I'd just run sfc /scannow and thereafter stop worrying.
    What do you mean by this? Is this done in the command?

You're the one that found the solution. You just didn't immediately realize it.
    Hey...you're right, I'm the one who found the solution!!.....lol!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ocgw
    This link may be helpful in the future

Thanks, got it bookmarked.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Windows System File Checker is accessed by clicking Start -> Run

Enter this in the box:

sfc /scannow

Note the space after sfc.

If prompted for your install CD, here's what you can do to avoid that each time:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    This link may be helpful in the future.

This link is definitley going in my useful bookmarks....thanks budd!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows System File Checker is accessed by clicking Start -> Run

Enter this in the box:

sfc /scannow

Note the space after sfc.

If prompted for your install CD, here's what you can do to avoid that each time:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    Man...you are a GOD!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. That link is a real time saver.

Turns out I've backed up several Blu-Rays with VC-1 with both tsMuxer and BDRB. I have ffdshow configured to decode VC-1 with libavcodec. Only problem I ever had was with a Band of Brothers disc, and the next version of BDRB solved it. Go figure.

[EDIT] The stats at the bottom of the page are interesting.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh...so you were troubleshooting a movie at the same time that I was ...Thats good to know. On another forum, I seen that many people are having problems with the new released BD. One of the common problems is that the new BD is not accurately selecting the main movie for shrinking. I personaly prefer selecting the movie with TsMuxer and letting BD handle the shrinking process afterwards.

Before coming to work this afternoon, I left STAR TREK in the BD shrinker. I hope everything shrunk OK by the time I get home tonight. Did I have to enable VC-1 again for the newer type movies, or does VC-1 work for both old/new type codec movies?

Are you and ocgw the only ones to help in these forums? Out of all the thousands of people that visit these forums daily, I am surprised to see only the two of you supporting me on my issues.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I suspect you're good to go now for VC-1 Blu-Rays.

There are a number of members here getting into high definition, whether it be encoding digicam "footage" to H.264, editing/re-encoding captures, and/or backing up Blu-Rays for their HTPCs or media players. So no doubt there were some people following your threads. Your case will provide a useful addition to general knowledge. Who knew the answer would be so simple? Like I said, I myself successfully used ffdshow to decode VC-1. In fact it never occurred to me it might be problematic in some cases.

But it's all pretty new, and usable tools are still rather few. Reminds me of the early days of DVD backups.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I've been on here for many years but did not become a member until recently. When I started with DVD's years ago, I had gotten all the tools and info I needed by reading different threads and following simple instructions. I never had the need to join as a member because I had no questions to ask until recently with blu-ray. One thing for sure, I like the way tools and codecs are getting updated at a quick pace. I am a member at a few forums not related to video, and I must admit I am impressed with this site. I am not sure what other hobbies you practice, but if you ever feel eager to try satellite TV as a hobby, send me a PM and I'll get you started.

titot4u
    Quote Quote