VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All

I have been ripping my music video dvds with no problem but recently the company I subscribe to changed over to dvd-r and I noticed that when trying to rip the speed slows down

When i do a regular dvd I get speeds up to 7x when I do dvdr I get speeds up to 2x

Any idea why this happens

Thanks
    We were all NEWBIES once and the only stupid question is the one that's not asked?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It has nothing to do with -R or +R.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for your reply ...I find it hard to believe it has nothing to do with it

For example
    Vol 75 ripped at 7.4X and it was a dvd
    Vol 76 ripped at 2.8x and was a dvdr
    We were all NEWBIES once and the only stupid question is the one that's not asked?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So this isn't a +R vs -R issue? You are talking about factory pressed DVDs vs home burned DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A DVD+/-R has less reflectivity than an pressed DVD. Therefore, it is harder to rip with any kind of speed. Just be happy that you can rip it completely as it is.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Plus it depends on the drive, is it locked, the interface, etc.

I just ripped a 7.42gb DL+R last night and it ripped at 16x
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have some older Ritek discs that rip pretty slow compared to others. I just chalk it up to being older, slower discs. These were 4x MAX burn discs I used to use for my old Philips recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    So this isn't a +R vs -R issue? You are talking about factory pressed DVDs vs home burned DVDs?
    Well ..I am comparing Factory Pressed DVDs vs Factory made dvdr .the company I buy these from do them in house now to save money I am sure it must be something better than what i have i my home computer to burn

Noahtuck ...what do you mean by locked
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vcd4me View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Well ..I am comparing Factory Pressed DVDs vs Factory made dvdr .the company I buy these from do them in house now to save money I am sure it must be something better than what i have i my home computer to burn

Again...it's got nothing to do with what you are doing wrong or what kind of software the company uses to burn these discs. Their next batch you buy may rip faster....maybe not. It all depends on what manufacturer they choose to use for their blanks.
    There is no setting in their burning software to "jerk you around" and make the disc rip slower....it's a roll of the dice problem that you will never solve. AND...the best copying software(of non-copy protected discs) is FREE....ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ...what do you mean by locked
    Some DVD burners have locked rip speed. But that would be the same locked speed with commercial DVDs or burned DVDs. You might be able to change the rip speed with a program like MediaCodeSpeedEdit. But it may not work with your particular burner.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by vcd4me View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

Again...it's got nothing to do with what you are doing wrong or what kind of software the company uses to burn these discs. Their next batch you buy may rip faster....maybe not. It all depends on what manufacturer they choose to use for their blanks.
    There is no setting in their burning software to "jerk you around" and make the disc rip slower....it's a roll of the dice problem that you will never solve. AND...the best copying software(of non-copy protected discs) is FREE....ImgBurn.
    Thanks I just wish it could go faster ...I understand that is is nothing I can do...I think it may be what SLK001 said
    Quote Quote