VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello guys!

Are there any capture softwares which support NVENC HEVC lossless recording?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Any idea?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the benefit of it over UT codec or HuffyUV ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    What is the benefit of it over UT codec or HuffyUV ?
    UT and Huffy are not HW accelerated . However lossless hevc is HW accelerated even in AP Pro too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HEVC needs capture card support ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post

Indeed. 4K capture in lossless mode.
    The best lossless compressor is hevc, 25-35% better than Utvideo. And lossless Hevc is supported by Adobe Premiere Pro with HW decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ffmpeg supports screen capture and the nvenc encoder (avc and hevc) in lossless modes.

https://superuser.com/questions/1296374/best-settings-for-ffmpeg-with-nvenc
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. The capture software needs to be able to use NVENC HEVC lossless hardware encoding, which is performed by the PC's video graphics card.

FWIW I don't think any capture software that i have used could possibly do this. Maybe OBS could do it. However I don't use OBS and don't have an NVIDIA card, so I cannot confirm that it can.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    No. The capture software needs to be able to use NVENC HEVC lossless hardware encoding, which is performed by the PC's video graphics card.

FWIW I don't think any capture software that i have used could possibly do this. Maybe OBS could do it. However I don't use OBS and don't have an NVIDIA card, so I cannot confirm that it can.

OBS can do it with a plugin only. I tried it out.

The name of the OBS plugin is StreamFX.

You can download it here: https://github.com/Xaymar/obs-StreamFX/releases/tag/0.8.3

The captured HEVC lossless video files have HW accelerated decodig in the new Premiere Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thought that lossless capture codecs use too much data rate transfer, and that's why codecs like the ones from Apple and Avid are being used... intra frame ones .... I never discovered any other setups like that.
    and.. btw.. OBS is a screen capture util ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Thought that lossless capture codecs use too much data rate transfer, and that's why codecs like the ones from Apple and Avid are being used... intra frame ones .... I never discovered any other setups like that.
    I have 2Gbit/s internet connection speed , so uploading lossless formats to Yotube is not a real problem for me.

It is the best setup. HW accelerated Capture, HW accelerated editing (and playing in Premiere Pro). and HW accelerated reencode the ouput video in Premeiere, than upload it to Youtube.

This is fantastic, isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It can capture the video output from a supported capture device as well as perform screen capture.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  13. How does the GPU lossless HEVC encoder hold up vs software encoding? I remember testing it a while back with a gf 750 TI, and that one didn't manage to compress lossless hevc all that well, the file ended up larger than with utvideo/huffyuv. I would think newer cards have improved on it though. Software encoding with ffmpeg made it smaller than any other lossless codec, but that was slow as molasses.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    How does the GPU lossless HEVC encoder hold up vs software encoding? I remember testing it a while back with a gf 750 TI, and that one didn't manage to compress lossless hevc all that well, the file ended up larger than with utvideo/huffyuv. I would think newer cards have improved on it though. Software encoding with ffmpeg made it smaller than any other lossless codec, but that was slow as molasses.
    The NVENC HEVC lossless file must be much smaller, if the settings are correct. Be careful, concentrate that the output file is really in the 4:2:0 colospace with traditional 8bit encoding. Check the output file with Mediainfo! Thus hevc lossless will be smaller than any of the CPU driven lossless codecs. I tested it with RTX 2070 Card. The 4K HEVC encoding was around 50% usage of the NVENC engine.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Truthler View Post

The NVENC HEVC lossless file must be much smaller, if the settings are correct. Be careful, concentrate that the output file is really in the 4:2:0 colospace with traditional 8bit encoding. Check the output file with Mediainfo! Thus hevc lossless will be smaller than any of the CPU driven lossless codecs. I tested it with RTX 2070 Card. The 4K HEVC encoding was around 50% usage of the NVENC engine.
    What signal are you capturing ? 8bit 4:2:0 ? 8bit RGB screen capture ? 10bit 4:2:2 HD-SDI ?

"any of the CPU driven lossless codecs" ? No. Only compared to I-frame codecs like huffyuv, lagarith, ut video. NVEnc is using temporal compression. When you compare similar CPU lossless codecs in long GOP mode, for 8bit 4:2:0 , generally x264 lossless will produce the smallest filesize , then x265 lossless, then NVEnc HEVC lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Truthler View Post

What signal are you capturing ? 8bit 4:2:0 ? 8bit RGB screen capture ? 10bit 4:2:2 HD-SDI ?

"any of the CPU driven lossless codecs" ? No. Only compared to I-frame codecs like huffyuv. NVEnc is using temporal compression. When you compare similar CPU lossless codecs in long GOP mode, for 8bit 4:2:0 , generally x264 lossless will produce the smallest filesize , then x265 lossless, then NVEnc HEVC lossless.
    NV12 @24 or @25 or @30. Source: HDMI output of AX700 Only HEVC lossless is HW accelerated by NVIDIA cards. It is the only lossless codec, which has HW accelerated decode in Adobe products. NVENC HEVC with GOP = 600 is similar to X265 lossless.
    Last edited by Truthler; 13th Aug 2020 at 10:40.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Truthler View Post

NV12 @24 or @25 or @30. Source: HDMI output of AX700 Only HEVC lossless is HW accelerated by NVIDIA cards. It is the only lossless codec, which has HW accelerated decode in Adobe products. NVENC HEVC with GOP = 600 is similar to X265 lossless.

Realistically, GPU encoding realtime @ UHD is the only reasonable choice, even if filesize is slightly larger
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM

Realistically, GPU encoding realtime @ UHD is the only reasonable choice, even if filesize is slightly larger
    Why? The practice shows that it is a perfect idea for capturing and fast editing. Even Youtube supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Truthler View Post

Why? The practice shows that it is a perfect idea for capturing and fast editing. Even Youtube supports it.
    Why what ? My point is CPU encoding is too slow. GPU is the only one that makes sense for UHD .

Even though NVEnc HEVC produces the largest filesize out of those 3, it's worth it. You can adjust x264, x265 settings to produce smaller filesizes too. If you test them with same GOP length , similar settings NVEnc almost always produces the largest filesize for lossless encoding. It doesn't make sense to use CPU encoding for real time, when there is a risk of frame drops
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM

Why what ? My point is CPU encoding is too slow. GPU is the only one that makes sense for UHD .

Even though NVEnc HEVC produces the largest filesize out of those 3, it's worth it. You can adjust x264, x265 settings to produce smaller filesizes too. If you test them with same GOP length , similar settings NVEnc almost always produces the largest filesize for lossless encoding. It doesn't make sense to use CPU encoding for real time, when there is a risk of frame drops
    The Ideal gop length for lossy and losless encoding is 600 GOPs. 600 is ideal to very compressed UHD content (like 9-10.000 Kbit/s), and excellent for lossless mode too.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    A highly related good idea.... https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/398429-Smallest-laptop-with-HW-HEVC-LOSSLESS-encod...4K-to-16TB-HDD
    Quote Quote