VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Movie studios again demand HDTV disabling powers from FCC

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/09/movie-studios-again-demand-hdtv-disabl...s-from-fcc.ars

Hollywood's bid to force a yet-to-be-agreed-upon number of households to buy new home theater gear is back in business. The Motion Picture Association of America has once again asked the Federal Communications Commission for the right to selectively control output streams to the TV entertainment systems of consumers. "The pro-consumer purpose" (!) request "is to enable movie studios to offer millions of Americans in-home access to high-value, high definition video content," three MPAA biggies explained during a meeting they held with seven FCC Media Bureau staffers last Thursday.
    What's interesting about the group's latest filing, however, is that it effectively concedes that the output changes it wants could, in fact, hobble some home video systems.
    -drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well if they buy me a brand new Panasonic 65" 1080p Plasma at their cost, then I'll happily use whatever technology they want me to use to view movies on this TV.
    Quote Quote