VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an mp4 container where the movie has subtitles that can be turned on or off.

It says "subtitles encoded into the Mp4s." and not hard coded so can be turned on/off
    What program can this be done with, I presume it will work with srt subs.

Edit: i think it can be done with handbrake
    Quote Quote  
  2. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    It's not clear to me what is that you need, exactly, to give you a decent suggestion.

For example.. you can put subtitles inside the container at encoding time but also without the need for re-encoding the whole video; if you only need to add subs to it you can simply REMUX it (adding the subs).. that's is a much better choice that doesn't affect source material.

To edit/convert/create subtitles there are other nice amazing tools, such as KaiNote.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can mux text subs in mp4 with ffmpeg as mov_text, which is the only embedded subtitle format supported in mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    It's not clear to me what is that you need, exactly, to give you a decent suggestion.

For example.. you can put subtitles inside the container at encoding time but also without the need for re-encoding the whole video; if you only need to add subs to it you can simply REMUX it (adding the subs).. that's is a much better choice that doesn't affect source material.

To edit/convert/create subtitles there are other nice amazing tools, such as KaiNote.
    I want toadd st subs to an mp4 so thye can be turned on/off without an external srt file .Remux sounds the best idea as it doesn't affect source material..I will look up KaiNote.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    You can mux text subs in mp4 with ffmpeg as mov_text, which is the only embedded subtitle format supported in mp4.
    Ok how to cHange an srt to a mov_text
    Quote Quote  
  6. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    I want toadd st subs to an mp4 so thye can be turned on/off without an external srt file .Remux sounds the best idea as it doesn't affect source material..I will look up KaiNote.
    If is not an issue for you changing the container type from mp4 to mkv.. I would go with MKVTOOLnix ..
    You can find it in the software section of this site, is a totally free and open source software to easily mux/demux/remux files into the MKV container.
    For mux/remux it has a very simple GUI you can use.. it doesn't re-encode anything so it's blazing fast.

You drag your video into the GUI, then you do the same with the subs...
    Before remuxing you can change tracks name or set the appropriate language flag/indicators for them (and for audio and video tracks too) . MKV takes any information for the tracks from the source files automatically, if they're already set.

You have also an option to add specific fonts inside the mux, if your subtitles use them..

Then it's only to give the file a name ... press a button .. wait some seconds .. remux done!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    You can mux text subs in mp4 with ffmpeg as mov_text, which is the only embedded subtitle format supported in mp4.
    Ok how to cHange an srt to a mov_text
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "video.mp4" -i "subs.srt" -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text "output.mp4"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Load your mp4 into clever FFmpeg-GUI and remux with srt Subtitle to mp4. The srt subtitle will be converted automatically into mov_text.
    Quote Quote