VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've downloaded and processed scores of user-generated English subtitle files to date, usually the downloaded files are .srt formatted files. What I mean by "processed" is that I fix as many erroneous transcriptions (not just spelling errors) as I can find, then I convert them to .ass files with my preferred styling, then multiplex them with their associated audio/video source to create .mkv files.

But just recently I came across a few .srt files with markups I've never seen before, primarily "<span>". They occur in great numbers, but I've never encountered them before. What does that markup represent? Can I simply delete them with no unwanted consequences? If not, how do I "translate" them to .ass format?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably about the same thing it means as a normal HTML tag, I'd guess.

I should note that the use of HTML tags in SRT subtitles aren't an official part of the format (and therefore not necessarily supported by software or hardware players), so I'm not sure if there are any standards set for their use. One person's use of the <span> tag could theoretically differ from someone else's.

(edit: jagabo was just a little bit faster )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nothing. delete them. srt are text only.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, there is no universal standard for HTML tags in SRT files. Outside a PC few players pay any attention to them. Even within Windows only a few are really supported, and support varies from one player to the next. I haven't seen <span> used in SRT. Can you post a few examples?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have only seen italic (<i>), bold (<b>) and style tags for color changes in srt subtitles
    <span> is meant to keep a part of text together as a single block, never seen it in srt though
    Quote Quote  
  6. My great thanks to you all! This forum is awesome.

I'll follow aedipuss's tip and just delete them all.

jagabo asked for some examples, so here they are. From A Fish Called Wanda ...

00:12:36,756 --> 00:12:38,714
    My name is Otto.
    It means eight.

00:12:38,758 --> 00:12:40,107
    Say arrivederci
    a Giorgio.</span> </span>
    For a brief moment, I considered the possibility that it might indicate the enclosed text would be in Spanish, but since it's obviously Italian I dropped that notion.

Thanks again, all!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Where's the opening <span>? Is it always just closing </span>? That would be an obvious error. Probably conversion from a different type of sub and someone forgot to remove the </span>. If that's the case you can remove them without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo That's what wonders me to, only closing tags seems like errors/ leftovers from conversions
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's a HTML tag meant for text blocks. pretty darn useless
    Quote Quote