VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Very similar to a previous thread of mine: Some is copy from post on diff forum.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376049-Beep-Code (post #22 has me pegged! thanx usually_quiet!)

I recently bought:

GA-AM1M-S2H motherboard.

(specification-operating system- = "Support for Windows XP 32-bit
    * Only support SATA IDE mode.")

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4937#ov

The manual that came with it (one piece of paper, folded! >7 1/2"x10"<) says it supports XP 32.
    The real manual (pdf from Gigabyte) says XP 32 is supported, and, gigabytes web site has drivers for both 32 and 64.
    NOWHERE do they say how to install XP. I realize the issue of 'legacy', 'uefi', & 'mbr',etc, for XP.
    The driver disk is 4+ gigs, and loaded with the various text files, I cant find what I need or need to actually do.

I know, I know! XP?? It has & still works almost perfectly for me.

I now have gotten to bill gates favorite color blue, 'check (brand new!) hdd for virus's' plus a # for error <-mostly zeros.

I intend to stick with xp32 this round.

I have had it with asus, the reason for this new/diff mobo.

So far, folks on this site seem most knowledgeable about most issues I seem to have problems in, , , ,

Also, I want a htpc, & this board has hdmi output, is small, seems a good choice pricewise, etc.

I found a few "32floppy & 64floppy" locations on the mobo driver dvd & tried them (as floppys), but not the right ones.

anyways,

-c-

(rant-> G-byte website, I attempted asking Q's about this, I guess I asked about something a long time ago, my email name was there, checked 'forgot p/w', got email w/new p/w, used it & got message it was already in use there??? "YOU JUST GAVE IT TO ME!!!??? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH IT?? <--rant)
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely you install the mb drivers for your chosen OS from the mb site/disk.

Then you merely install XP from the XP install disk. Nothing to do with the mb manuf at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, remember to go into the BIOS and set up SATA to use IDE mode. You should probably do this before trying to install XP.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The most simple solution is what usually_quit said.
    Windows xp can work in ahci mode if you provide the correct driver through the F6 method during initial setup.
    Most likely those are on the floppys you found
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can do this without floppy - just integrate drivers with xp iso - you can do slipstreamed xp with all patches and drivers so mobo should work very nicely.
    There is many guides how to do it - one of them http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8053/how-to-slipstream-an-xp-disc-with-sp3-and...-other-updates.
    There is a chance that AHCI mode will work nicely out of the box (if SCSI may work with XP then why not AHCI).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    AHCI will work with XP, provided the drivers are installed.
    I believe, but not positive it has been a long time, that you can install XP in IDE mode, then install the AHCI drivers, and then go into BIOS and change over to AHCI mode.
    Or have the drivers ready and install them during XP install (preferred)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    I believe, but not positive it has been a long time, that you can install XP in IDE mode, then install the AHCI drivers, and then go into BIOS and change over to AHCI mode.
    XP will show BSOD (0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) when installed in IDE mode and later switched to AHCI - there is solution for this:

http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/a11/change-from-ide-to-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows-xp.php

but once again best way (also recommended for Windows Vista and 7) is to create own ISO with integrated all drivers (latest revision) with updates and packs - no need to to do anything after installation - system is ready to be used like any modern Windows.
    nlite utility is very easy and intuitive to perform such thing also this is faster than later installation of drivers and updates manually.
    http://www.nliteos.com/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    XP will show BSOD (0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) when installed in IDE mode and later switched to AHCI - there is solution for this:

http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/a11/change-from-ide-to-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows-xp.php

but once again best way (also recommended for Windows Vista and 7) is to create own ISO with integrated all drivers (latest revision) with updates and packs - no need to to do anything after installation - system is ready to be used like any modern Windows.
    nlite utility is very easy and intuitive to perform such thing also this is faster than later installation of drivers and updates manually.
    http://www.nliteos.com/
    The link you provided says pretty well the same that I did
    The BSOD occurs if you switch from IDE to AHCI in BIOS, without first installing the drivers, after installing XP
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At gigabyte: d/l drivers os xp32 bit= no sata/raid/ahci. Chipset driver = almost 300 meg on floppy? not!

[Attachment 37709 - Click to enlarge]

" " " " all os's listed for: 8-7-8.1, not for XP am I looking in all the wrong places?

[Attachment 37710 - Click to enlarge]

I will look on install disk again, , , , ,

-c-
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=cornemuse;2451959]At gigabyte: d/l drivers os xp32 bit= no sata/raid/ahci. Chipset driver = almost 300 meg on floppy? not!

[Attachment 37709 - Click to enlarge]

" " " " all os's listed for: 8-7-8.1, not for XP am I looking in all the wrong places?

[Attachment 37710 - Click to enlarge]

I will look on install disk again,
    Last edited by october262; 8th Jul 2016 at 21:07.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is possible that there are no AHCI drivers available. Gigabyte specifically said ""Support for Windows XP 32-bit" with the footnote "Only support SATA IDE mode."
    "
    [Edit]Look at the screenshot showing the available XP drivers. The chipset drivers for XP also contain a footnote stating "Only support SATA IDE mode."
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Jul 2016 at 22:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the drivers you HAVE to install are the inf(chipset), audio and lan. failure to do so will leave the m.s default drivers active, and they aren't good/don't always work. not sure what you need ahci for unless you are trying to use an ssd. in which case you are out of luck unless you install win7,8, or 8.1
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did some looking around with some help from Google. The APUs for Socket FM1 are SoC (system on a chip) designs, incorporating a SATA controller for two SATA 6Gb/s connections. A third-party controller must be included on the motherboard for any additional on-board SATA ports beyond those two. It looks like there are no AMD AHCI drivers for XP, so the two SATA ports controlled by the APU will only run in IDE mode. There may be AHCI drivers for third party SATA controllers, but this motherboard (GA-AM1M-S2H) only has two SATA ports, supplied by the APU's SATA controller.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Jul 2016 at 01:17. Reason: added motherboard model
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have used two of those Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H motherboards, but with W7 32 and 64bit.
    Nice inexpensive and low power MB and works well for an economy HTPC.

XP 32 bit should run on that GA-AM1M-S2H MB with no major problem if appropriate drivers are available.
    AHCI, depends on available drivers and you likely will have to 'slipstream' them with a XP install disc. Adding it
    after an OS install is a real pain.

*I plan to put together another PC with that same Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H MB in the next few days, so I should be able to breadboard it
    outside a case and try it with XP 32bit + 64bit OS before I load the final W7 OS and stuff it in a case.. I'll try to get back here soonest.
    I still have one valid XP license. I suspect all the needed 64 bit drivers may not be easily available for XP 64bit. I'll start with XP 32bit.
    Last edited by redwudz; 9th Jul 2016 at 00:12.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ redwudz If you are feeling brave there are supposed to be AHCI drivers for socket AM1 APUs here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/AM1I.html#down-driver&XP 32

The description says "AMD Bolton AHCI Driver". I found the information about the MSI AM1 motherboard drivers here.

Using drivers for a different chipset seems a little dubious, but it would be nice if the information I posted about no AHCI drivers for Socket AM1 APUs is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll give that MSI driver a try. May work as the CPU does so much on the MB. Probably little chance a XP 64 bit driver is available, though.
    Quote Quote  
  17. From what I remember you had to install the drivers from ONLY drive A: during Win XP install (which usually meant a floppy drive). I think you could install XP in IDE mode and then "upgrade" to the AHCI drivers but only if you had an Intel CPU (or that might be only if you had an AMD CPU - it's so long since doing this, I can't remember which way round it was.)

Pandy's suggestion of creating a slipstreamed XP disc with the AHCI drivers already integrated is probably the best one. It wasn't that difficult and, provided the info and the utils are still out there on-line (and why wouldn't they be?), you can also include updates and Service Packs that were released since your original XP disc was pressed.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I usually not use mobo manufacturer site for anything except bios, check chipset number and go directly to chipset vendor page - they should be all drivers there...
    And drivers for Windows are not the same as drivers to boot Windows - this is slightly different driver that always fit in fdd.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the manual and specs ususally_quit has it spot on.
    With windows xp this board/apu doesn't support ahci mode.
    You can however set this in the bios/uefi to ahci for windows 7 and above.

I would suggest that it is best to use it in IDE mode with xp.
    A msi motherboard doesn't have to be exactly the same as this board, although it uses the same apu
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I plan on just XP 32 here.

I cant 'slipstream' to install disk drivers I cannot find, , ,

ide, ahci, etc, whatever works is what I want. Tryin'to keep this simple, , ,

Thanks for all the suggestions, "Keep 'em comin' "

-corne-
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just enter bios and set sata mode to IDE

Than you can install windows xp with no problems
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I discovered there are no AMD chipset numbers for Socket AM1, probably because the Socket AM1 APUs are SoC designs. Also, AMD doesn't have any XP drivers for the Socket AM1 Athlon and Sempron APUs available their website. In case anybody cares to check: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i read you have to use a winXP sp3 install disc. and that the xp inf driver works. ahci is even possible if you build a slipstreamed sp3 install disc with the drivers.

[edit] sorry the ahci was for the am1l chipset not the am1m. no ahci driver available from gigabyte for the latter.

[edit] but there's no reason this one from asus shouldn't work http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/sata/AMD_AHCI_XPWin7-8-81-10_V61335_131276.zip

here it is unpacked from the other windows versions.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by aedipuss; 9th Jul 2016 at 13:50.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The "I" in AM1I and the "M" in AM1M refer to the motherboard's form factor (Mini ITX vs MATX). I would think the chipset drivers for components provided by the AM1 APUs themselves are the same, even for different motherboards.

Drivers for chips on the motherboard itself would of course have to match those components.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I finally gave up after slipstreaming both examples of AHCI drivers. The OS would just BSOD. Worked fine with IDE drivers for both XP 32 and XP 64.
    I doubt AHCI would give much of a performance increase running in XP anyway. And though AHCI works well with SSDs, XP does not without some
    more custom drivers to manage the TRIM and other SSD maintenance.

NLite was also causing problems with finishing without burning a modified XP disc the last couple of runs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I was 'clicking' in bios to see the various settings, (after about 10 times) I realized some settings 'reverted' without actually saving them. The 'IDE' setting kept changing to (another). Anyway, finally got installed without floppy, with XPP SP-2.
    Took a while to get HDMI output to work with monitor. Now that seems ok. (had to use hdmi to dvi 'on monitor' adapter)

Went pretty smoothly, , , ,

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

-c-

(edit: u/g to sp-3. Going the simple route with mobo install disk would give a lot o' stuff I didnt want, did the individual installation of required [drivers])
    Last edited by cornemuse; 10th Jul 2016 at 09:35. Reason: feng shui
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I cant 'slipstream' to install disk drivers I cannot find, , ,=
    If you have HW then driver exist - please provide hardware ID's.
    Quote Quote