VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new to the video editing "scene" and I was wondering if you guys had recommendations on some free editing tools. I really only need the following features:

1. Be able to delete specific frames.
    2. Be able to mute audio when needed.
    3. Be able to add a pixelated/mosaic square,rectangle/shape on a specific area of the frame/scene (it would be great if the square would track the desired are like Filmora does).
    4. Join MKV files

I will be working with mostly with 4k videos and MKV format files but other file formats as well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Boy this forum is not very helpful. Did I break some rule or something or do I need to ask expert questions to be considered?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is that you expect an awful lot for free. I'm guessing you need to pay $$ or maybe $$$ to get editing software with all the features that you have asked for.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're not getting a lot of answers because the combination of features/price you are looking for doesn't really exist.

The first three items can be handled in many NLEs --even free ones like Davinci Resolve, but they won't handle MKVs. Resolve, while not difficult to learn is not exactly simple either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. "You're not getting a lot of answers because the combination of features/price you are looking for doesn't really exist."

"The problem is that you expect an awful lot for free. I'm guessing you need to pay $$ or maybe $$$ to get editing software with all the features that you have asked for."

Well, since I said I was new to the editing scene I had no knowledge of these facts and someone (like you guys just did) could have said its not possible, you have to pay. So maybe I can get some other questions answered:

1). What is an NLE?
    2). What paid software is recommended to perform the tasks I need?
    3). What file format does Davinci Resolve handle?

I have no problem converting MKV files to say... MP4 format. I have been learning ffmpeg and have successfully converted a few files already.
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1. Non Linear Editing
    2. many to choose from, perhaps some google research and youtube searches for specifics you are looking for
    3 most formats, but mkv is not a typically supported edit format, so rare to find an editor compatible.

To convert to mp4 it is easier to use Handbrake.

Shotcut is an alternative free editor, but unlikely to support mkv.

Watch some you tube tutorials on the sort of edits you want to achieve, then perhaps return to ask anything specific you don't understand.

Complaining about the forum response times won't do you many favours, not everyone is online 24/7
    Last edited by super8rescue; 12th Feb 2020 at 09:37.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    Complaining about the forum response times won't do you many favours, not everyone is online 24/7
    Apparently it did because I got responses. And I wasn't complaining I was simply wondering if I had broken any rules or had to ask the questions a certain way since some forums are not noob friendly. When someone else makes a post the same day I did and they receive over 90 replies whilst I receive none, it made me wonder.

Regardless, thank you for your reply. I have already watched many YouTube tutorials but its always a paid program. I found this website and saw many free software available but since I am a noob I get lost and overwhelmed with the amount of options and info so I thought a more experienced user could recommend something geared towards my specific needed tasks. I will look into Davinci and "Shortcut".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Snoopy329 View Post
    I'm new to the video editing "scene" and I was wondering if you guys had recommendations on some free editing tools. I really only need the following features:

1. Be able to delete specific frames.
    2. Be able to mute audio when needed.
    3. Be able to add a pixelated/mosaic square,rectangle/shape on a specific area of the frame/scene (it would be great if the square would track the desired are like Filmora does).
    4. Join MKV files

I will be working with mostly with 4k videos and MKV format files but other file formats as well.

No FREE program does #1-#4.
    Almost any video editing program that's free (Avid media composer, Hitfilm Express, Blackmagic Davinci, etc) can do #1 - #3 with ease.

#4 - Almost no video editing programs natively support MKV files. It is simply not a commercial standard unlike H.264, so if you must use a free NLE with your MKV videos, you'd need to convert/extract the video and audio streams from the MKV into a standard H.264 .mp4 file for editing.

One of the few PAID programs on the planet that can do #1-4:
    https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/pages/mkv-file/

Microsoft Photos in Video editing mode can handle MKV for free, but can't do #1, #3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    part of the problem is that when you announce that you want to edit "mkv" is that it's only an end user format. it's not an nle friendly source. and it's mostly used by warez groups to post illegal copies of videos, so that's a no go around here. this isn't a "scene" friendly site.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it's mostly used by warez groups to post illegal copies of videos, so that's a no go around here. this isn't a "scene" friendly site.
    I personally don't see whats wrong with using the word "scene" but, my initial second reply was accurate. Apparently, I had to phrase things a certain way for people to respond and not get offended by a harmless word like "scene".

I never said I would be editing pirated movies and anyone who presumes that well, they need to be step on the brakes and not be judgemental and presumptuous. Not that I need to explain myself but, I will be editing my own videos and videos of family members and some friends, hopefully more in the future. Unfortunately, I had already made them into MKV format; not all but the majority. I don't see why anyone would have the need to edit pirated movies but, to each their own.

Regardless, I appreciate all the helpful replies.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [QUOTE=babygdav;2573598]
    Originally Posted by Snoopy329 View Post

No FREE program does #1-#4.
    Almost any video editing program that's free (Avid media composer, Hitfilm Express, Blackmagic Davinci, etc) can do #1 - #3 with ease.

#4 - Almost no video editing programs natively support MKV files. It is simply not a commercial standard unlike H.264, so if you must use a free NLE with your MKV videos, you'd need to convert/extract the video and audio streams from the MKV into a standard H.264 .mp4 file for editing.

One of the few PAID programs on the planet that can do #1-4:
    https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/pages/mkv-file/

Microsoft Photos in Video editing mode can handle MKV for free, but can't do #1, #3.
    Wow! Thank you for that great info. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before you get too excited about Corel's VideoStudio, please read through the numerous reviews on the web. Lots of longtime users appear to be particularly disappointed in the 2019 version.

And just FYI, the 2020 version is apparently going to come out toward the end of February.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jgg View Post
    Before you get too excited about Corel's VideoStudio, please read through the numerous reviews on the web. Lots of longtime users appear to be particularly disappointed in the 2019 version.

And just FYI, the 2020 version is apparently going to come out toward the end of February.
    Yeah, I'm gonna try the free solutions first and see how those work for me. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I'm gonna try the free solutions first and see how those work for me. Thanks.
    Good idea. You're welcome.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote