VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, guys.

It's my first time to come accross a sup file, which also contains colour information for karaoke purposes.

While I can use SubtitleEdit to OCR convert it to srt, it does not read the color information, which is not what I would like to do.

Normally, one can have a colored srt file, so theoretically one can get the file I want.

Any ideas how to convert, the most I managed to do is to see the color subtitles (outside the player) in SupRip, but it does not take the color forward ?

Thank you for your help.

Boris
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PrtScr capture.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	52020  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by earl_bstard View Post
    Hello, guys.

It's my first time to come accross a sup file, which also contains colour information for karaoke purposes.

While I can use SubtitleEdit to OCR convert it to srt, it does not read the color information, which is not what I would like to do.

Normally, one can have a colored srt file, so theoretically one can get the file I want.

Any ideas how to convert, the most I managed to do is to see the color subtitles (outside the player) in SupRip, but it does not take the color forward ?

Thank you for your help.

Boris
    The SUP file itself does not contain any color information. The color palette is found in a color lookup table stored in the IFO associated with the SUP's DVD titleset. (See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/335583-Muxman-changes-color-of-SUP#post2083937 for an explanation.) This means that you would need the IFO for the titleset as well as the SUP to obtain the colors. Unfortunately, I have not heard of any subtitling software that is able to correctly read the colors from DVD IFOs or an imported file containing only a color lookup table and use them to automatically apply color formatting to SRT files.

Furthermore, many hardware and software players do not honor the HTML-like color tags in SRT files and treat them as though they were part of the text. Do you know for certain that your player supports color formatting for SRT? If not, but your player supports SSA (Substation Alpha) or ASS (Advanced Substation Alpha) subtitles, those were developed specifically to provide the kind of color formatting that you want to use.

[edit]Looking at the sample picture of the text in your post again, it appears that I am probably mistaken about the SUP's origin. It looks more like a PGS (Blu-ray) subtitle than a DVD subtitle. Based on what I have just read about PGS subtitles, the colors are implemented differently than for DVD, but I am as yet unsure of the details.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Feb 2020 at 20:48.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    To get the colors on srt you have to manually add color codes to the lines you want colored,you can specify to have all the lines colored the same though with just a few codes.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote