VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greeings,...

I have a problem,... Actually i've had it for a while. I've been shooting parties and wedding videos for while, at the end of the day, i have like 30GB of video footage to use. My camersa are Nikon D5300 and D7200. For a wedding, the final video is about 2h30min and the file size betweeb 4.5GB and 9GB and the quality is not as good as the original footage. So, my problem is a two part problem; video quality and file size. In other words; how can i produce good quality and a small size file. The softwares i use in the editing process are; Premier Pro, After Effects, Audition and Media Encoder.

Thanx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no essential reason why you can not create good visual quality from 150 mins of video at HD within your size parameter.

For example I can vouch for a commercially (subscription-based) full HD video (1920*1080) which at 90 mins is only 2.72 GB. You can do the maths to raise that to 150 mins.

Yet from your example so much info is missing. I would suggest you at the very least post a mediainfo (text mode) report of the original. And likewise for the final vid. It may well be that you use the softwares for the editing and export that as is but do the final encode with a more efficient encoder/codec.

You should also state your final envisaged destination ie PC (mp4), Blu-ray etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Code:
    Filesize = Bitrate * Running time
    Is the universal formula in effect here.

And since your material has the same length, the difference is in the bitrate.
    As I also own a Nikon, I can vouch that the bitrate of the cams' original recordings (which are h264-encoded) are in the range of 10-64Mbps (adjustable in settings), averaging usually 25-35Mbps.

Most end-use playback material seems to be encoded to 2.5-10Mbps, so that's a significant drop in bitrate. Bitrate is one of THE major factors among many (along with codec efficiency) in determining quality, so it is no surprise that your output quality took a hit. You could improve perceiveable quality by pre-processing your material to reduce NOISE and unintended variations, which adversely affect compressibility.
    You could also use a better implementation of the codec, for example using the Voukoder plugin to utilize x264, which is well known to produce better output than Adobe's stock encoder.
    You could also jump to h265, which is a more efficient codec, though that choice is highly dependent on your target players' capabilities.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever you do, be sure to give a copy of the original files to the customer/friend/relative also. They may be able to do better themselves or find a better alternative to whatever you're using in the future.
    Quote Quote