Search Comp PM
    <edit>Nevermind</edit>

What do you mean
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by BCAESE
    <edit>Nevermind</edit>

What do you mean
    That means he deleted the message.
    BTW 29.97->25 with dgpulldown (and at all as pulldown) is not possible. With pulldown is possible to "increase" play rate, but not to "decrease".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm doing PAL - NTSC so 25-29.97, I'm just wondering if I use this process then use DVDLab to author will DVDLab auothor with gradual sync problem. With this process I am not touching the audio just encoding the video at 25fps at 720 or 352x 480 resolution then using DGpulldown.

I am frequently having problems with gradual sync and DVDLab because I change the franreate of my video & audio or change the framerate of video only.

Just wondering if this new process can cause any sync problems. The tut says it would never but I have read false or misleading tuts before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This thread has been going on for a month, with many hours spent by a number of people trying to solve a problem that is easily solved by buying a cheap, multi-format player. Format conversion in software takes way more effort than it's worth, with dubious results (choppy, stilted video, audio sync). A cheap player capable of both PAL and NTSC playback resolves all of these issues in one go.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    a problem that is easily solved by buying a cheap, multi-format player
    Best post in this 3 pages long thread. Best way to do frame rate conversion is not to do it.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by reboot
    Open the mpg in virtualdubmod.
    Click File, file info. That tells you how long the video is.
    Extract audio in virtualdubmod, full processing mode, to .wav
    Open .wav in Goldwave.
    Click Effect, TimeWarp.
    Choose seconds, make it as long as the video.
    Click File, Save as, .wav signed PCM 16 bit.
    Open the .wav in ffmpeggui. Transcode to AC3, 224kbps.
    Load the mpg into DVDLab.
    Demux if needed.
    Discard the audio track.
    Import the AC3.
    Hi there, I'm having some problems with the DVD authoring in DVD-lab too... It's a gradual audio drift which begins about 15-20 mins into the DVD (the file is about 45 mins long), and I have tried the above method (and I think every single method I found in the forum) to try to correct it, but to no avail. The odd thing is, when I load the file into VirtuaDubMod, it tells me the file is 42:38.448 mins long, and when I extract the audio and import it into Goldwave, I get a file timing of 42:38.435 min.

The odd thing is, once the time warp and AC3 and all is done, and I import the video and audio into DVD Lab, the timings are still different. The video now registers in DVD Lab as 42:35min, and the audio (be it wav, mp2 or AC3) register as 42:35 min. I have absolutely no idea why this is so...

Please help! I've been doing this for 10 days already and am still nowhere close to obtaining a solution for the async issue...
    Quote Quote  
  7. How to fix progressive async:

1. The basic principle involved here is to strip out the Audio file (de-mux) then stretch or compress the audio frequency, 48khz, and re-sample to 48khz for DVD. Then convert to *.MP2 or AC3 format and re-multiplex with video stream (only for testing).

2. Demux the MPG file so we can manipulate the Audio file. Run TMPGEnc, click on File and select MPEG Tools. Select Simple De-multiplex tab and for Input, browse to your problem MPG. Video and Audio output names will be automatically generated. The Audio being *.MP2 and video being *.M1V or *.M2V. Click Run and wait until its finished. Exit TMPGEnc.
    Alternatively, run virtualdubmod, load your file, select Streams, stream list. Right click on the audio, select Full Processing Mode, then click Save WAV.

3. We now have to estimate the approx time, in seconds, that the audio is out of sync and nearest to the end of the movie as possible. Simply play the original movie with WinDVD or similar player. Windows Media Player is not recommended as it can A/V sync problems of its own. Move slider to near the end of the movie and look for speech, gun fire, explosions, door slamming, etc where you have a precise Audio to Video match up. Estimate the time difference and not the length of the movie. Lets say we find the Audio trails the Video by about 1 second and the movie length was 48 min or 2880 sec (the door slams and about 1 sec later we hear the thud).

3. Run Goldwave and load in the *.MP2 or .wav file. Its also best to turn OFF the Undo feature to speed up the conversions (in Options / File...) Click on Effects and then Playback Rate. We need to change the 48000 Hz to sync the movie, use these formulae:

New Hz (Audio trails Video) = (Movie length in sec + Out of Sync in sec)/(Movie length in sec) * 48000

or

New Hz (Audio precedes Video) = (Movie length in sec - Out of Sync in sec)/(Movie length in sec) * 48000

So for our example, we have:

New Hz = (48x60 + 1) / (43x60) * 48000 = 48115

So change the Rate from 48000 to 48115 (or the number you calculated) and hit OK. Now click Effects again and select Resample. Change the 48115 (or what ever figure you have) back to 48000 and hit OK. Once the conversion is finished, hit Save. For Type select Wave (*.wav) and Attributes as 16bit, Stereo, Signed. Change File name if needed and hit Save. When it finish's answer No and exit the program.

4. We now need to convert our WAV file back to an MP2 or AC3 form. TMPGEnc is the simplest to use for mp2. Run TMPGEnc, and click File, then New Project to clear out old settings. For Stream Type select Audio Only and for Audio Source, browse to our new WAV file and Open it. Rename the Output file name to something different than the original MP2 file. Do NOT change any other settings except Normalize in Setting button (do this only if the audio appears low in volume). Then click OK and finally click Start. When done, exit TMPGEnc. Alternatively, transcode in ffmpeggui to AC3 at 48kHz for your project.

5. Compile the project in DVDLab and test. Alternatively, remux the video and audio in tmpgenc's mpeg tools, simple remux, and select mpeg-2 program VBR. When done, play the new MPG file in WinDVD and check that A/V sync has been fixed. If its still out a bit, you need to start all over again from Point 3 changing the frequency Rate a bit higher or lower. Repeat until its fixed.

If the project is avi, load the video into virtualdubmod, load the fixed .wav as the audio source, and play it to check for sync.
    Once you have it, you can then encode the VIDEO ONLY in tmpgenc or other encoder, and transcode audio in ffmpeggui to AC3, then import into DVDLab.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I had omitted to say, however, that the MPEG plays fine on the PC, in whichever program I use, but once it's authored onto a DVD the audio async problem surfaces...

Any help is appreciated!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. did anyone try authoring a new dvd in ifedit,then importing and joining the vobs with dvdlab pro,then using the prejoined large vob as the basis for authoring.
    IT DOES WORK.i know,ive told a few people to try it and that was the easiest solution.
    dvd-lab seems to choke sometimes,and this is a temp cure.
    LifeStudies 1.01 - The Angle Of The Dangle Is Indirectly Proportionate To The Heat Of The Beat,Provided The Mass Of The Ass Is Constant.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by despair78
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I had omitted to say, however, that the MPEG plays fine on the PC, in whichever program I use, but once it's authored onto a DVD the audio async problem surfaces...

Are you demuxing externally, or letting DLP do it?
    Are you using MP2, LPCM, or AC3 audio?
    How are you encoding/transcoding the audio?

Just because it plays on a PC doesn't mean much. The computer has codecs and software that will play many things a DVD player won't.
    It may appear in sync, depending on WHAT player you are using.
    Back to things I think I've already mentioned.
    Do audio separately.
    Import elementary streams, not mpg, and don't use DLP's demuxer.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jim,

That is exactly the same problem I am having perfect mpeg, still no solution. I am at the point where I am going to encoded the mpeg out of sync purposely so when DVDLab authors the mpeg it falls back in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by BCAESE
    Hi Jim,

That is exactly the same problem I am having perfect mpeg, still no solution. I am at the point where I am going to encoded the mpeg out of sync purposely so when DVDLab authors the mpeg it falls back in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by despair78
    Hi Jim,

Are you demuxing externally, or letting DLP do it?
    Are you using MP2, LPCM, or AC3 audio?
    How are you encoding/transcoding the audio?

Just because it plays on a PC doesn't mean much. The computer has codecs and software that will play many things a DVD player won't.
    It may appear in sync, depending on WHAT player you are using.
    Back to things I think I've already mentioned.
    Do audio separately.
    Import elementary streams, not mpg, and don't use DLP's demuxer.
    Hi Jim,

- Have tried everything, demuxing both in DLP and outside of.
    - Have used all of those audio types at one point or another. Now using AC3.
    - I am using virtuadubmod to extract the audio, then using ffmpegui to transcode into AC3. Then Goldwave to time warp it.
    - Have imported elementary streams into DLP without using its demuxer

Still no go. *sighs*
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CanadaTeck,

I don't see what is so funny

I have not resolved this problem. Do you have any answers
    Quote Quote  
  15. Don't touch the transcoded audio in Goldwave. Leave it alone. The "timestretch" may be what's throwing it out.
    The audio track may be shorter or longer than the video, this is normal!
    Try it with a ripped .wav, transcode to AC3, author it.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by BCAESE
    CanadaTeck,

I don't see what is so funny

I have not resolved this problem. Do you have any answers
    What was said was funny

Do I have an answer? YES, get DVD Architect or Ulead DVD Movie Factory or Ulead DVD Workshop. :P
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't touch the transcoded audio in Goldwave. Leave it alone. The "timestretch" may be what's throwing it out.
    The audio track may be shorter or longer than the video, this is normal!
    Try it with a ripped .wav, transcode to AC3, author it.
    No dice This is really depressing...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Burn the avi to a disk, and send it to me.
    Without hands-on, we can't do much more.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shockingly, I was using the MPEG direct in Nero Vision Express 2, allowing the program to transcode it automatically (chose to use AC3 audio), and like magic, the bloody thing worked!

I'm bloody puzzled, but heck, whatever works, right? :P

Jim: I am all the way in Singapore so sending the disc to you is probably gonna be pretty inefficient, but thanks for the offer!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Well...take an out of sync issue, run it through a program known for it's sync issues, and no more sync issue...Who'd a thunk it?
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote