VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, could anyone help me figure out what could be causing a buzzing sound with my Sanyo Betacord VTC5000 recorder. I have had the machine for about 3 years now and ever since I bought it, when it is connected to a TV using the aerial cable (the only wire I have at the moment), it produces a distorted buzzing sound at certain times. My initial thoughts were that this is some kind of tracking issue, but when I track the tapes using the dial on the lower part of the machine it doesn't correct the issue. At the moment I've had the machine connected through to an old CRT 14" TV and from there used a scart to comp cable with the USB capture device to my laptop in order to capture the signal to virtualdub. Maybe it's the connection but I once tried this on a 70" modern TV and it produces this weird sound. Could be down the tapes being worn but I don't think it is.

Could be down to the machine, head problems maybe or electronic issue. The problem was like this when I bought the machine, but only in the last few months I managed to get the machine working as a thought it was broken but turned that the tape not lacing was because of the reel motor being abit stiff. But I've no idea what this problem is, isn't really an issue as most of the tapes are pretty worn anyway and I'm just capturing them for posterity, but I'm considering selling the machine as I've no use for it now but would need to know what's causing the strange buzzing sound.

I've attached a link to a capture video:
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/301282/Buzzing%20sound%20in%20Beta%20capture.mp4
    Last edited by techmot; 17th Oct 2022 at 04:22.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's the HiFi audio noise, Some VCR's are better than others exhibiting it, but it is usually the tape that has physical damage or tape drop outs, In most cases there is nothing you can do about it. Some have succeeded to eliminate most of it by tweaking the VCR alignment which is not recommended for an average user.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try manually adjusting the tracking.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does it happen with the aerial cable only, or with phono/rca output?

This deck doesn't have beta hifi (beta hi-fi decks are pretty rare for PAL), so tracking adjustment won't have any effect, it has to be something else.

Looks like the model is prone to some capacitor issues at least which may or may not be related:
    https://www.palsite.com/5000tech.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Not the tracking (P guides) but the audio control head he should tweak imo
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If it is not a HiFi machine this could indeed be from a bad areal recording, Broadcast machines do have this problem, I remember back in the day watching over the air TV and heard this buzzing. If it's the case there is absolutely nothing to be done here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the suggestions, the first comment seemed likely to be the case but it may not be. I don't think it's down to the tracking, I have adjusted the tracking dial which is located on the bottom half of the machine on the left side below the on/off buttons, and I don't think there is any other tracking adjustment on the machine, and this will be manual. As suggested it's probably due to the tapes, but I think everyone of them exhibits this same buzzing sound from time to time. As for HiFi sound, there is no HiFi sound on this machine - as far as I'm aware. I would hope this is just the tapes as it's not an issue for me, but if it's a problem with the machine then I've got a problem. I am considering selling the machine as I've no further use for it as the main reason for buying it was to transfer the tapes to my computer, and a problem like that the potential buying probably wouldn't be too happy a decent sum of money for if it's doing that, and I paid around £140 for it and it had the buzzing sound when I first tested it. The recordings were recorded on a Sanyo VTC9300 which I don't have anymore, which was a basic machine of the day so wouldn't have had Hifi Stereo sound on it.

It could be down to the cable I'm using, but I've no other cable, I should get a cable that connects directly from the machine to my USB port on my laptop. And it's not the capture device that's causing it as it doesn't do this when connected to my VHS recorder.
    Quote Quote